The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » A Punch and Judy swazzle tale... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
When I was a kid there was a machine outside the local convenience shop/post office with which you may be familiar. A glass case enclosed animated hen enticed children by clucking "BuKaaww! A prize every time!". You dropped a coin in the slot and twisted the handle to receive a plastic egg which contained some random toy.

One afternoon a group of us were outside the shop and one of the kids actually had the required wealth to feed the chicken. What came out of the egg bemused everyone... except me. No instructions were included, just this curious little metal item, but the previous day I had seen a TV show about Punch and Judy and recognised the item as a swazzle. Of course no one believed me and I was called upon to demonstrate. Failure ensued. The disappointed buyer put the item in his pocket feeling royally ripped off, and I never saw it or anything like it again.

I just want to check with you guys here who will know: was I right? I can see from looking at swazzles on the internet that the shape was right, and also that a reed needed to be added. I remember that there was a short length of chain attached (maybe 1-2") which I thought was maybe for retrieving it if it started venturing south!

If it was indeed a Professor's swazzle, a) what a bizarre prize to be in the machine, particularly with no instruction, and b) what bizarre timing the day after I had seen one on TV and could (I think) identify it.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
It sounds much more likely to have been some form of inexpensive warbler type noise maker. One of many cheap lines favoured by grafters. Long ago - pre 1914 - they were stamped out by the tens of thousands in Germany, a bit of tin and thin fabric, and a novelty for a day or two until the fabric reed blew out. Later, the manufacturing source of this type of novelty item moved east. A swazzle, even when cheaply made, would be far too expensive for swag use.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
Yes, we're talking 10 or 20 new pence in the early 80s - thanks Tony for putting this one to bed after nearly 30 years Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » A Punch and Judy swazzle tale... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL