The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How's that global warming working out for you? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..19~20~21 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Al is now an environmentalist? That's it, the right is now going to lose.

All I'm asking is that we get to remove infested trees and plant new ones, but the enviro's hate that idea, they want more infested trees, more fires, and less planting.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I believe, Carrie, that we need to take facts into account.

The world will become something or other, regardless of what we do. That does not absolve us of moral responsibility for our actions.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You all do realize that corporations, at least in certain countries, have, for decades, improved their processes and reduced their output of pollutants? My old company went from being number three on the SuperFund (the clean up list put out by the govt....sorry Glenn) to the point where reclaimed water was deemed so clean that it was to pure to be put into the bay and could be used safely for agriculture and landscape and if allowed could be drank same as tap water. There is less air pollution etc now than there was in the 1950s, people are more aware of littering, people conserve water and plant trees when not prevented by enviromental groups. Autos are cleaner. Etc etc etc... Considering the considerable effort and great cost put out to clean things up it is a dang insult that people STILL won't acknowledge it or accept the simple facts as they are.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

I'm aware of that Santa. And I'm certain you've never read anything from me to the contrary. I live near the infamous Alberta "dirty oil". Extracting oil from sand is a filthy process. It is infinitely cleaner than it was 3 decades ago, but it's still a mess. But what other way forward than to regulate the process in such a way that makes improvements profitable? This is not to say that everything is great, or that every decision has been wise; it hasn't been. But it is to say that intelligent planning and cooperation between government, industry and interest groups can lead to improvement.

What I can't stand is the BS of people pretending that there are no problems to solve.

John
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Carrie's right- we can't destroy the Earth. However- we can probably manage to make it into a place that we'll be unable to live in.

God did give us dominion over all the Earth and the creatures on it. Dominion is a powerful thing. It certainly means we should be good caretakers. After all- you have dominion over your dog but you still have to feed her and care for her or she will die.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Dr. Roy Spencer, darling of the AGW deniers because he is actually a qualified climate scientist who opposes many of the IPPC conclusions wrote the following on his web site today:

Quote:
WHO WINS THE RACE FOR WARMEST YEAR?
As far as the race for warmest year goes, 1998 (+0.424 deg. C) barely edged out 2010 (+0.411 deg. C), but the difference (0.01 deg. C) is nowhere near statistically significant. So feel free to use or misuse those statistics to your heart’s content.

To be fair to Spencer, he has never denied that we are in a warming period. His main complaint is that he does not find the evidence for anthropogenesis convincing.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/u......_102.gif

John
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Put climate change to the side for a minute.

We are polluting our land, air and sea faster than ever before. We are logging forests faster than they can be replaced and using up the fossil fuels that take eons to replenish. It makes sense to assume that at some point things will run out. Shouldn't it be part of our stewardship of this planet that we conserve some resources for future generations?

And is it right that those with the might just use whatever they like and to hell with the havenot's? China is currently taking advantage of the poverty and corruption of the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea, 2 third world countries near me, to log every tree they can get and grab as much of the mineral wealth as cheap as they can get it. I've seen they are doing much the same in Africa. There comes a point where nothing is left.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
No! China is pure and is in tune with nature! They have an old culture, very civilized, why just mentioned the word "ancient Chinese...." and people will buy into it. There are problems with industrial pollution but the problem isn't in the US, Canada, Europe, or Australia but the huggers are doing everything they can to avoid confronting the real issues.

John, next time you put up a chart I expect to see the standard deviation.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Looking like the coldest December for 100 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD49Q-7xDWs

I have a good idea, lets spend trillions $ on making it even colder.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2011-01-03 19:17, Carrie Sue wrote:
Love this article from Investor's Business Daily:

Of course you do. It fits your agenda. Shouldn't we be neutral on articles and instead of loving or hating them evaluate them for their validity and soundness?

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Don't worry about Global Warming or Global Freezing. Just pay your "Carbon Tax" and all will be OK.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Santa baby
We ALL live under a thin layer of oxygen that surrounds our planet. Even backward people from Michigan, and Nevada should care about our environment.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-04 00:30, Destiny wrote:
Put climate change to the side for a minute.

We are polluting our land, air and sea faster than ever before. We are logging forests faster than they can be replaced and using up the fossil fuels that take eons to replenish. It makes sense to assume that at some point things will run out. Shouldn't it be part of our stewardship of this planet that we conserve some resources for future generations?

And is it right that those with the might just use whatever they like and to hell with the havenot's? China is currently taking advantage of the poverty and corruption of the Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea, 2 third world countries near me, to log every tree they can get and grab as much of the mineral wealth as cheap as they can get it. I've seen they are doing much the same in Africa. There comes a point where nothing is left.

I couldn't agree more, Destiny.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2011-01-04 06:45, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-03 19:17, Carrie Sue wrote:
Love this article from Investor's Business Daily:

Of course you do. It fits your agenda. Shouldn't we be neutral on articles and instead of loving or hating them evaluate them for their validity and soundness?

Ron

Dang, I always thought that I LOVED this article:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/edit......333.html

But go ahead, evaluate it for it's validity and soundness if you prefer.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
That article is so true, Rockwall. If oil were truly scarce I would have no problem. But there are so many places that have been arbitrarily put off limits by federal and state governments that it has created an artificial shortage.

Why not let the oil companies do what they do best, hunt for oil and process it? If you have a better energy source, then start your own company and get people to switch to it. But forcing gasoline-powered car companies to make electric cars when the public is not demanding them is crazy. No government subsidies were needed to replace the horse-drawn carriage with the automobile; it just happened when the market demanded it. Alternative energy should be no different.

Banning the incandescent light bulb is also crazy. What gave the federal government the right to determine what kind of lights we have in our house? These new curly-fry light bulbs are much more dangerous because of the mercury inside them, and yet we're forced into having them. Freedom of choice to kill children in the womb, but no freedom of choice of which light bulb to use in your home. Does this make sense?

lightbulbs

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
OK
I'm wrong backward people from Michigan just don't get it. Power saving light bulbs are not a liberal conspiracy to take away your right to waste money. LOL
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
There is one stipulation that would make me walk back my earlier statement; if Jesus is coming, people are about to be raptured, and the world is about to end, then there's no reason to worry at all about natural resources.

Of course, Christians have been expecting Jesus to come back "any time now" since the earliest days of the church... Maybe we should be certain we know God's timeline before we get ourselves into hot water...
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-04 11:46, EsnRedshirt wrote:
There is one stipulation that would make me walk back my earlier statement; if Jesus is coming, people are about to be raptured, and the world is about to end, then there's no reason to worry at all about natural resources.

I don't see how an imminent rapture would excuse the faithful from their moral duties.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-01-04 11:53, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-04 11:46, EsnRedshirt wrote:

I don't see how an imminent rapture would excuse the faithful from their moral duties.

I think that if the rapture comes a lot of people are going to be surprised to find that they are not on the list.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
The rapture will involve an awful lot of waiting round, while Carrie explains to God which bits of the Bible are relevant and which commandments matter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How's that global warming working out for you? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..19~20~21 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL