The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where does 2 In the Hand/1 In the Pocket Rank? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3124 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I was just going to go ahead and post an article I wrote up on the 2 In The Hand/1 In The Pocket plot, when I realized it might be more interesting to just ask you guys... Where do you think this plot ranks in the annals of small object sleight of hand? For those out there who do this, how would you rate it compared to a cups and balls routine, or a sponge ball routine? Or do you think the comparison is even worth trying to make?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I think the plot has merit, but probably more due to its versatility.

Sponges have the advantage of magic happening in the spectator's hand, and that's hard to over ride for indelible impact.

Cups and Balls, in many cases has an air of formality above all the others. But of course, there are C&B routines that on the surface can appear completely impromptu.

The 2 in hand, 1 in pocket may have an edge in that a wide variety of objects used is more possible (balls, dice, rocks, nuts and bolts, M&M's, pieces of cigarette, etc.).

It is parallel to the Cups and Balls in that there is always the possibility for a final load (All Screwed Up, Dice-Capades, etc.).

There is another parallel in that the 2 in hand, 1 in pocket sequence may occur in the course of a C&B routine, using just the hands, or using a cup AS the hand, for the return location.

2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket may also contain a complete vanish of all objects at the end... particularly easy if using sponges.

All that being said, I do several variations of the plot, using a range of objects. Sometimes I embrace the one downside of the routine by commenting, "This is a trick that has no ending." Of course, I immediately would follow such a line with a finish that takes a hard left turn from the redundancy of the plot! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is versatile and very strong done in the right context. I think it was in 1950 that I learned it from Harold
Agnew using dice, and a shuttle pass for a double climax.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Blackstone, Sr. used to do it at parties. He used small paper pellets. He would prepare a couple dozen "spares" beforehand. He did variation upon variation of the trick until he ran out of ways to dispose of the "third" pellet.

Frankly, it's a good plot. Doc Eason has a really nice version of it that he sells at his lectures. The main thing is to get to the ending fairly quickly.

I used to do it with dice and end up with a really big one. The value of it depends on the sell.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think Rene Lavand's performance of this effect is stunning.

Woland
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I couldn't live without it. Short and sweet, but mildly complex with a hint of impishness. It is my go to impromptu 9 out of 10 times.
Learn something new everyday.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3124 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Garsh... Nobody else doing this routine?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Yup, I've done it for many years.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13417 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think it's a fantastic trick. Especially done apparently impromptu with items handed to you by a spectaator, (e.g., mints from a bowl, square cubes from a table decoration).

It's also a great trick for studying misdirection techniques and ideas. I'll bet most magicians plow thru the trick without any thought to where they look, what their posture is like during moments of trick, etc.

It's also great for studying different sleights and ideas along those lines. There are ways to make it better without making it confusing or sleight-heavy.

I like it. It would be a perfect trick for teaching these concepts in a magic lecture.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I've been doing one incarnation or another of it for . . . 35 years. Started with the Scarne routine in SOM then . . . oh, just watch this if you've not seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jq0sIIb3q4

It's got social commentary, and some great sources for the trick. Then some fat guy finally . . . does his version.

KG
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
It's a mystery, to me, anyway.

It's not as strong as a sponge ball appearing in the spectator's hand, yet many magicians close their sponge ball routines with this trick.

It's not as impossible as the "balls from hand to hand" sequences in Vernon's three ball trick, yet Vernon chose to end his routine with it.

Rene Levand made it a strong and memorable experience, but that's what he does with everything. He could probably bring an audience to tears with the "diminishing golf ball". Plus, he added the cup, which makes a big difference.

Rick Anderson has used it as his opener for table-to-table work for decades, and he makes it very magical, as well.

Vernon's "Climax to a Dice Routine" is related, but better, and nobody seems to be doing that. (except Paul Vigil)

The "Hopping Half" is related, but better, and a lot of people do that.

Chanin's "T.V. Surprise" production accomplishes the same thing, i.e. it makes a trick out of simply removing objects from your pocket. The Chanin routine requires a handkerchief, but it's worth it.

IMHO, too many people do this trick too often simply because it's convenient. It's an easy way to end clean and safe, with all your props back in your pocket.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Kent's handling is very nice. I especially like the plug for BOOKS!

Doc Eason does a very interesting thing with his version. It's not with balls, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I love it as an impromptu routine. Bar napkins, wine corks, any small objects - great response to, ."I heard you were a magician".

That was the question I had at a recent business dinner - cut a wine cork up and went with it. The effect lasted for weeks, because I was "unprepared" and just responded to a request with magic.

Hudson
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1673 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
The coin version - Gadabout Coins - is a Bobo classic. Ron Bauer wrote an excellent booklet with his handling and presentation laid out in detail.

But the best version I've seen is Mike Gallo's. It's a more fully developed routine and comes full circle at the end with two surprises. I suppose these surprises at the end make the routine similar to sponge balls or the chop cup. I started performing the routine about a month ago; it's fairly quick, is entertaining, and ends with a bang (or two). Spectator reactions are great (especially, as with cups and balls, at the end).

Cheers,
Jerry

P.S. What do you think of the merits of having two items the same, and one oddball -- e.g., two red balls and one white, or two silver coins and one Chinese? Regarding the latter, I find it makes it easier for spectators to follow, since they can spot the return of the oddball right off, without having to count 1-2-3 coins.
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
What is some of the older literature on this trick? Most of the works cited so far are relatively recent. The parallels with the Hopping Halves are, as Curtis Kam, points out, quite strong. Interesting that he thinks Hopping Halves is actually a better trick.

Fortasse
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
J G Thompson published a couple of routines using small objects that illustrated a funny story, one involving small skulls, believe it or not.

In John Mendoza's Book of John, Verse 2, there's a routine by Mary Wolf using tiny soda cans that ends with the production of a two liter bottle of coke.

These are highlights for me, but the wise man will leave the bibliographical duties to Lawrence O.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 17:17, Curtis Kam wrote:
It's a mystery, to me, anyway.

It's not as strong as a sponge ball appearing in the spectator's hand, yet many magicians close their sponge ball routines with this trick.

Guilty...Smile
sushimonster
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of sushimonster
@ jerdunn

Where can we find Mike Gallo's routine?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-01-04 11:00, Michael Baker wrote:

2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket may also contain a complete vanish of all objects at the end... particularly easy if using sponges.

All that being said, I do several variations of the plot, using a range of objects. Sometimes I embrace the one downside of the routine by commenting, "This is a trick that has no ending." Of course, I immediately would follow such a line with a finish that takes a hard left turn from the redundancy of the plot! Smile

That's what I do. The sequence, with the vanish at the end, gives closure to my routine.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have seen some really clever endings to the routine; however, since I don't have permission to "publish" them here, I must refrain.

All I can say is for you to consider how the objects you use in the routine can combine or how they can change. For example, you can make the balls turn into one very large ball.

Or if you use steel balls, on the last pass, you wind up with a steel ball pendant on a neck chain. When you ask what's in your hand, they guess, and you reply, "Nope. It's just my old ball and chain."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Where does 2 In the Hand/1 In the Pocket Rank? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL