We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » School Project- Performing and such (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-01-15 19:51, MitchellMac wrote:
I apologize bill, I have been working very hard on a presentation. I just thought I would learn more if I spoke (or typed) directly to people that new about the sort then I would learn more. If I wanted to do a simple poster on something boring but easy than I would've. This project was supposed to give us a chance to learn about something that we were interested in. So I don't expect you to help me unless you would like to. This presentation is supposed to be fun and I just thought it would be fun to talk to you guys. I'm sorry Bill, I didn't know you were so up tight about information of the sort but you certainly don't have to share information with me if you don't want to. I just thought I'd ask, I didn't mean to sound pushy. If anyone else felt like bill you can feel free to tell me. You didn't have to help me, just thought I'd ask. I've been doing all of the research I was just asking where I can learn about this sort of information. I hope nobody else took this the wrong way, I certainly didn't mean it the way Bill said it.

I'm not "uptight" about the information. I'm just not going to write your report for you. At some point, YOU have to figure out what you are going to do, and you have to learn it.

You presented yourself as wanting to learn to do a traditional piece of Chinese magic. I gave you some suggestions based upon what I perceived your level of ability to be. I told you what you need to know to find it. It's up to you to do at least a little "leg work."

You can talk to us all you want, but you won't be able to do anything until you actually apply yourself.

I know that our motto is "Magicians Helping Magicians," but it isn't "Magicians Spoonfeeding a Report to People Who Don't Even Pay Attention To What They Have Been Told."

You may think that posting a question to the Magic Café constitutes research. It's only a bare beginning. Since you obviously haven't even bothered to google "Snowstorm in China," why should any of us bother to help you learn anything else about the trick? It's not something that I could post to you on the Café anyway. It would take several printed pages for me to tell you what you need to know to perform it.

Doing a search on Google or Wikipedia isn't research, either, by the way. It's a way of finding where to look for more material.

Are you familiar with the word "library"? Do you know what a "card catalog" is? Have you ever actually walked through the stacks of a library looking for a title that caught your eye?

Now, let's get down to the beginnings of real research. Have you ever driven 200 miles to a library because you knew that they had half of the books that Houdini had owned, and you wanted a chance to look through them, just to feel the wonder of discovery?

Have you ever driven 250 miles to attend a lecture by a man whose knowledge of magic was so great that he was able to charge $1000 for a single lecture?

You may think that keyboarding to us on the internet is research. It isn't. It's ZIP.

Pay attention to what I told you before. Do the search I told you to do. It's a chance to get an education.

Maybe you will understand my point of view a little better if you visit this web page. When you visit it, bear in mind that it represents more than a quarter century of my work. Read the page, then scroll down to the bottom and click on the link for the research paper. http://www.billpalmer.com/merlinfo.htm
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
I see your point. As far as the snowstorm part goes I think I said Chinese snowstorm simply because I'd seen the name presented as many other things such as "Ultimate Snowstorm" or just "Snowstorm" or "Snowstorm in China" so when I was researching it I had to try a bunch of different names. That explains why I neglected to call it the exact name that you said. I have been researching though. I just haven't been updating everyone on the stuff that I've found. As far as going to a library goes, I haven't done that because you can pretty much find all that information on the internet now days. I did order some things from amazon and looked at books and such from eBay. Anyway though Bill, I guess you must've misunderstood. No hard feelings. But thank you, as well as everybody, for giving me some good ideas.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
While you can find all that information on the internet nowadays, the way a library is set up has some big advantages. For example, when you stroll through the stacks, you see related information that is far more relevant than the random information you find on Google or the filtered random information you find on Bing. Also, you don't have to buy books that will be of no use to you.

Granted, you won't find many magic books in most libraries, especially those at a high school or university level, unless you live in Austin, New York City or Providence, R.I. But when you are standing in the middle of the 792s and 793s at your local library, you will see everything they have on magic, unless they are using the LOC system instead of Dewey Decimal. Then you have to find the section they have decided to use for the particular type of magic you are interested in. The main thing is that when you get among the books, they basically "speak" to you. An internet search doesn't really do that.

Internet searches are fine when it comes to getting a general direction for something, but when the chips are down, time in the stacks is worth a whole lot more, if you know what you are doing.

And time with REAL PEOPLE who have done the material for years is worth a lot more than the time in the stacks.

What many people forget about is that while an internet search will give you a lot of information, even with an emasculated search engine like Bing, the bulk of it is useless to you for any given search. If you don't know what you are looking for, the search engine can't really ask you how much the search helped, because YOU don't know the answer. A live person can do that.

If I were sitting across a table from you right now, this whole thing could have been done in an hour. It has taken 11 days so far. By my calculation, you have 10 days left.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24209 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BTW, just so you don't get the idea that you somehow have some kind of special handle on internet search engines, you don't. I had my first web site in 1994 and registered my first domain in 1996. I was using the old search engines like Alta Vista and Lycos back before Google and Bing even existed.

Trust me. There is a lot of information in libraries that you won't find on ANY internet search engine. You really need to experience a library sometime. A trip to the Abbey at Melk in Austria would give you an inkling of what happens when a library is in existence for several centuries. The Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. is reputedly the largest in the world. It's impressive.

I wish you every bit of luck on your presentation. I can promise you, though, that if you didn't start rehearsing this by this past Friday, you had better plan on doing a power point presentation, because you will not do well. It takes more than 10 days to learn a routine well enough to perform in front of a class. You will be worried about getting the load, handling the gimmicks, not dropping things, not slipping on the wet spot on the floor, and making sure your music is right. You did get some music, didn't you?

And don't worry about dropping the fan. It usually doesn't happen unless you really get nervous.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Most of my supplies have arrived now. The performance should not be a huge stress. And if I am not perfect with the "Snowstorm In China", then I will not perform it and just stick with the history. But hey, even if I don't learn it in time, then I at least have the knowledge of performing it and maybe eventually, I will work it into my show. You have influenced me with the powerpoint, And I think I will go ahead and do the history part on that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » School Project- Performing and such (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL