The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Psypher - How are You Using It? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Café members-

If you have used your Psypher for awhile, I'm just curious which of the Psypher routines are your favorites so far?

Personally I do the cardbox (variation) and the Impression Wallet often - and I am now working on the Name and card Routine which to me looks to be the knockout of the effects on the DVD. I never ask if any ink rubbed off on the box or the wallet - other than that I like the routines a lot and I always get good im*******ns.

I find that the Impression Wallet seems to have a bigger "wow" factor with spectators as it is more of a mentalism effect if performed well.

I'm sure many are doing their own thing with Psypher but I would be very curious to hear how Café members are using this ridiculously fantastic effect from the genius mind of B. Smith.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
samdan
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of samdan
I love this effect but my im********s are not very strong. Any suggestions out there for making them stronger?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
A few good ideas here:

1) CRITICAL: The gimmick for the im******n has a clear plastic "protective sticker" at the front (gray) side. That needs to be removed for best effect. The DVD not the directions mention this but it is mentioned in earlier threads. Get rid of it - it will easily peel away just like the plastic that would protect a piece of chrome or a new dishwasher, etc.

2) Make sure the pen was set right as per the DVD - small taps - so that you set it right, without going too deep.

3) Audience management: Make sure you ask the spectator to hold the pen and card-box/wallet/pad "UP SO THAT I CAN'T SEE THE WAY YOUR PEN IS MOVING OR WRITING" (as mentioned by B. Smith in the DVD). This is prety key I have found - If the spec put the gimmick flat and then starts writing at a hard angle, you definitely will NOT get a good im*******n. You need to make certain the spec has to almost write at an unnatural angle - pretty close to straight on if possible. I have almost no trouble with this as I mention to hold the deck or wallet up higher so I can't see the way they are writing. Sometimes people laugh a bit when I say this, but if they aren't listening ...I look at them and say I can see their pen moving - so hold the deck/wallet and pen higher. This results in a more straight on and clear im******n.

4) I always try to give an extra "prep" to the gray side (im******n side) of the gimmick before a performance. I use a mag*** to prep the gray side completely, then erase. This seems to train the fibers/filings (or whatever it is) to work more effectively.

5) Make sure you ask the spec to write clearly - as they see the name, etc in their mind - I also mention see the name in block letters. Be careful about who you choose too - I have made the mistake of picking people who purposely write small or messy (Doctors!) and I now try to choose the right (or should I say write!) person based on my sense at the moemnt.

With these bits you should be getting everything you need and more. Enjoy.

BRETT
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I use the card box and for preshow.

Decomp
samdan
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of samdan
Thanks so much Saysold1. Much appreciated!
madcats9
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of madcats9
I use a variation of the card box version which is soo deceptive that nobody ever will have a clue how it is done. Gets great reactions all the time!
I don't reveal a card but an image like B. Smith does with the impression pad because revealing an image is much more stronger and impossible than a card. As I have no paper etc. to write on, I pretend having to take a card for this. Nobody ever wondered why I don't just draw on the card box as the spectator did. If so you could just tell the spec that you want to give him the card as a give-away at the end.
Another good thing using a card box is that people are familiar with it after you did card tricks before, so just a little deck switch and you're ready to go and it all feels natural.
timski523
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, England
226 Posts

Profile of timski523
Hi I have allways had problems with the i£$£^^%$^$££, I have done all I am supposed to, but 90% its ok.
I don't use the wallet as I feel it just looks so unnatural, its like, "why have you got this small plastic wallet on you??etc"
BUT with the card box I have come up with a little routine.
I say its to do with being able to see through lies and that I will be able to sence if you are telling me the truth.
I get the 'card' they have wrriten down..I then say I am going to put all the cards into there suits, which I 99% do...With four plies infront of me I ask them to say 'no' at every question I ask... pointing at the heart I say'is this your suit?' and so on. one by one I get rid of each suit until I have one left ( but, it is the wrong suit!) Then I split the card A-7 and 8-K ask again, is your card in this pile...Until I have only two (incorrect hards) left.... A bit of speak about how I know where there lies have been and I know there card...I point to one of the cards and say..'this is your card' they of course say no, I'm saying no, no don't lie anymore...they will laugh and say they are not, its not there card.....
so I ask them to pick it up to check.....there card is underneath!
Now I know not roket scince, but it my first routine I have every come up with....
Be gentle!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Cool- the idea is similar to the "Lie Detector" routine using a M****d deck - found in "The Ultimate Marked Deck Companion Book" by Damien Vappereau & Jean-Marc Gaheri. Page 40. Fantastic book btw.
timski523
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, England
226 Posts

Profile of timski523
Thanks Saysold1, I will have to look that up. I know the idea could have not been an origonal one, but was pleased with myself all the same!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Your idea may be original - the Lie Detector routine has a similar premise but it is different in that it doesn't use the suits at all (as you mention) but rather the chosen card + 4 random cards chosen by the spectator set face up.

The magician asks if that is their card, and the spectator always answers "yes, that is my card" every time.
magicreviews
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of magicreviews
I've used it once in a show and killed with it; however, in practice I find the quality of the imp* is rather weak. No doubt the pen needs to be adjusted right, but different people use different pressure. This one is a little too temperamental for me which is a shame. I wonder if the Bich pad is any more reliable?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 16:01, magicreviews wrote:
I've used it once in a show and killed with it; however, in practice I find the quality of the imp* is rather weak. No doubt the pen needs to be adjusted right, but different people use different pressure. This one is a little too temperamental for me which is a shame. I wonder if the Bich pad is any more reliable?

Have you removed the clear protective plastic strip on the imp side?
johnnyimpossible
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha, Ne
243 Posts

Profile of johnnyimpossible
Do you need to buy replacements for this, or will the "certain something" last a very long time?
chada13
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of chada13
Great tips above by Brett to get good imp********. A few other tips: as the dvd states, you could thin out the b**; correct calibration is definately necessary; prepare the gimmick to the light side upward (as opposed to the darker being visible); and make sure if using the b** method, make sure it is full or close to it. I've been getting great imp********.
gregkoren
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of gregkoren
During a recent performance, I used the business card wallet on a woman, and I swear I thought she was going to faint when I revealed the name. Seriously, she was sort of swaying on her feet, and I asked if she needed a drink or a sit-down. Weird experience, but two people asked me for my business card after that!
PhilMagicGuy
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of PhilMagicGuy
I once saw David Acer perform his Six Person Shuffle in a club, a trick I'd read about, but not appreciated enough, in one of his books. I soon adapted the idea into something a bit more me, and used something other than playing cards.

Since getting Psypher I've gone back to the original playing card idea for a few shows (for the few grown-up audiences I've had lately). David Acer's routine involves having six people choose playing cards and then an audience member choosing one of those people. That person's card matches a previously handed out prediction.

With Psypher, I've seemingly taken everything out of my own control. I have a spectator write down a playing card on a post-it note. I then force their card amongst the six chosen cards, and the rest follows similarly to Six Person Shuffle.

Incidentally, I've done a little brainstorming and toying with how to stealthily get the card ready for forcing, but so far have found that simple patter gives me an excuse to look through the cards as I casually shuffle them about.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1566 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I used UI, Pyspher's first iteration, at Christmas to do an invisible deck routine but had the spec write down a card, tear off the paper and hold on to it for proof should the trick work. I then go on about having a dream the last night that they did a trick with me and wrote down a card. I say that I woke up and in the dark, pulled out one card and turned it over in the deck by my bed. You can figure out the rest. Fantastic reactions and universally voted best trick of the night...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 14:02, Kaliix wrote:
I used UI, Pyspher's first iteration, at Christmas to do an invisible deck routine but had the spec write down a card, tear off the paper and hold on to it for proof should the trick work. I then go on about having a dream the last night that they did a trick with me and wrote down a card. I say that I woke up and in the dark, pulled out one card and turned it over in the deck by my bed. You can figure out the rest. Fantastic reactions and universally voted best trick of the night...

Cool - so you are placing the imp portion into the ID pack?

And then leave it in the lack or take it out and then put it back in (Joker method)?

Or are you using 2 separate packs?
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
236 Posts

Profile of jglumley
I almost always use the card packet and make sure to tell the person to write big and clearly so that every one else can see what they wrote when we are done!
The "18"
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I've been doing the card/wallet routine quite a bit lately and I always get a nice strong imp.

Based on informal feedback people tell me the Psypher routines are some of the most memorable/powerful pieces they have seen me do.

Psypher is still a winner...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Psypher - How are You Using It? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL