The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Psypher - How are You Using It? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3896 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Saysold...lol...

Oh boy. I almost didn't post this because I have an aversion to looking stupid.

I love Psypher...but had no idea why the impressions were so inconsistent. And I am reading your post and thinking..."There's a plastic coat???"

Oh boy.

...**sigh**

Thank you for posting that. Now let's just keep the fact that I didn't know there was one our little secret, shall we?

.....oh. Too late.

**sigh**

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2011-02-01 14:21, David Thiel wrote:
Saysold...lol...

Oh boy. I almost didn't post this because I have an aversion to looking stupid.

I love Psypher...but had no idea why the impressions were so inconsistent. And I am reading your post and thinking..."There's a plastic coat???"

Oh boy.

...**sigh**

David - please don't be so hard on yourself my man!

Look, there is ZERO mention of that extra plastic protective covering in the DVD nor anywhere else - I discovered it and mentioned it on the main Psypher thread some months back and most have found that it helps a lot - one less layer right?

Mandy at Papercrane confirmed that removing the plastic was something they knew about and was in fact a good idea.

I hope all who own Psypher feel that cr*p off so they can get more consistent imp Smile

Thank you for posting that. Now let's just keep the fact that I didn't know there was one our little secret, shall we?

.....oh. Too late.

**sigh**

David

Posted: Feb 5, 2011 1:45am
I have found from experimenting that I always get a much stronger/clearer imp when I prep the entire from of the gimmick (dark), then erase the back to clear - doing this before a performance - especially when the gimmick hasn't been used in awhile.

BRETT
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
mich77
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mich77
I like this kind of im*******n device, but I'd like to find a larger gimmick. Do you know where I can find it? I've tried to find something like that on the web, but with no success. I found other stuff, but it's different. The idea is similar, but not the same. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Bye.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
The Paper Crane site has imp gimmicks up to 8x10. That's pretty big even for stage.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
mich77
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mich77
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 15:25, crestfallenLyric wrote:
The Paper Crane site has imp gimmicks up to 8x10. That's pretty big even for stage.

Ahhhhh.... just saw it. Thanks Smile
Maybe a little expensive, but now I know that it is available.
Anyway, maybe, I found an item that has the same material inside, always 8 X 10 (what a coincidence...), that costs around $ 30. Not sure, but I think I'm on the right way Smile
Thanks for your help!
Bye.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-02-25 16:27, mich77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 15:25, crestfallenLyric wrote:

Ahhhhh.... just saw it. Thanks Smile
Maybe a little expensive, but now I know that it is available.
Anyway, maybe, I found an item that has the same material inside, always 8 X 10 (what a coincidence...), that costs around $ 30. Not sure, but I think I'm on the right way Smile
Thanks for your help!
Bye.

That's awesome! Where did you find this?
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
mich77
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mich77
Quote:
That's awesome! Where did you find this?

I don't know if it is the same material for sure, but I thinks, or maybe hope, so Smile
Probably is not fair to tell you what I found, because, by answering to your question, probably I could expose part of the method Smile
Hope you understand...
Anyway I didn't find the pad, but a product that has it inside. It's a product for.... coach! A little clue Smile
Bye.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
You can Google search for the kind of material that MAY be similar - possibly not the exact same stuff. Not hard to find.

I think better to support the creators like B. Smith and Papercrane.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
mich77
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mich77
Quote:
On 2011-02-25 17:42, saysold1 wrote:
You can Google search for the kind of material that MAY be similar - possibly not the exact same stuff. Not hard to find.

It's not so simple. I've done a long search and at last I found an item that, maybe, uses the same material, but it takes a while.
I don't how this stuff is named, but I don't know it. With a name, the search should have been faster and easier.

Quote:
I think better to support the creators like B. Smith and Papercrane.

Absolute right! But, for me, supporting them, means buying from them their magic stuff, their ideas. A refill is something different and if the same product is available elsewhere and if I can save money, what is the problem? I don't think this is unfair.
After all, the same material has been used also for other magic stuff Smile
Bye.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3896 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I tell the volunteer to just think of a card and write it on a well placed post it note. Then he takes the post it note, SHOWS it to the audience (my excuse for getting him to write it down) then folds it up and puts it in his pocket. I draw the cards out of the pack and, after ensuring he didn't pick the joker (you guys know why...) I fan the cards on my table in three rows and have the volunteer slowly pass his hand over them...

I put my hand on his wrist as he passes it over the cards and eliminate them until we are left with only three. I pretend to be about to choose the wrong one and then change my mind and pick the right one.

I use Psypher for this...or the Riggs Butterfly. To my mind it's the same difference.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.magicpendulums.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Nice one David - I like that whole idea a lot and I am not familar with this premise. Thanks for sharing it. I'm assuming you widdle the 3 spread piles to 2 then one...and the begin removing cards..right?
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3896 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Yes. Depending on the audience it can be quite dramatic. Sometimes I don't take my eyes away from the spectator's when I know I am nowhere near their card.

Sometimes it can be played for laughs too.

Sometimes I make it look like I am reading their thoughts through the way they move their hands over the cards with my hand on their wrists.

I like Psypher a lot.

Obviously.

David

PS: I like it a whole lot better now that you told me about removing the plastic sheet from the pad. Great clear impressions now. Go figure, huh?

www.magicpendulums.com
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
309 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-02-25 19:11, David Thiel wrote:
I tell the volunteer to just think of a card and write it on a well placed post it note. Then he takes the post it note, SHOWS it to the audience (my excuse for getting him to write it down) then folds it up and puts it in his pocket. I draw the cards out of the pack and, after ensuring he didn't pick the joker (you guys know why...) I fan the cards on my table in three rows and have the volunteer slowly pass his hand over them...

I put my hand on his wrist as he passes it over the cards and eliminate them until we are left with only three. I pretend to be about to choose the wrong one and then change my mind and pick the right one.

I use Psypher for this...or the Riggs Butterfly. To my mind it's the same difference.

David

Have you ever tried using blank cards and doing everything face down, a la I Dream of Mindreading? I have been thinking of doing something to that effect.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3896 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
That is a wonderful idea. I am going to think about this!

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Blank cards and everything face down? Can you explain a bit more?

Btw, David, I love that routine! Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
You guys are having absolute brainstorms on this stuff!

Blank cards would be cool - Rider backs, blank faces - cool.

OK but with blank cards wouldn't that preclude the use of the "Oh, you didn't pick the Joker did you?" concept?

You would have to keep the Joker in the box after the p**k, yes? No big deal.

I was also thinking of how I could use Psypher and the deck but utilizing perhaps my Bicycle UMD in some combination? I haven't thought of how yet but maybe it would be interesting to not only reveal the thought of card - but also to reveal it without looking at the faces at all? The UMD would need to be set up almost like a BW deck (the pencil marks part).
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
So after succeed reading their thought, you also succeed locate their card from a face down deck?

I think that's too much for the spectator to chew. You can't have two main courses in a dinner. That's a saying anyway Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
3896 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Here's some strangeness for you.

TWO times I have used Psypher and gotten NO IMP******* AT ALL. Nada. Not even a hint. And yes: for SURE I had the post-it note positioned properly (you guys know what I mean) and yes, I used the right pen. But there was nothing at all. Most of the time it peforms flawlessly.

I have tried to duplicate this with a very light touch, moving the pen on it's side. Even using faint pressure, I still get the results I want.

I cannot figure out why it has failed. Both times I used the Invisible Deck as an "out."

But has this happened to anyone else?

David

www.magicpendulums.com
Lou Cirulli
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of Lou Cirulli
This happened to me 2 times! It happened because they DID NOT write on the Imp.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Alright well I tend to agree about the 2 main courses - I'm trying to think out of the box on this but guess I'm trying too hard Smile

As far as no imp, when its happened to me (extremely rare) I have found that either:

1) The imp material was facing the wrong way - white side out. Duh! Note to self... Check equipment before using Smile

2) The spectator wrote at a hard angle most likely. That can create problems so I ALWAYS do as B. Smith says on the DVD and ask them to hold the card box HIGH up so I can't see their pen moving. I usually have to ask them to go even higher then they start out initially...forcing them to almost write uncomfortably which creates a better image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Psypher - How are You Using It? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL