The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Witnessing magic vs. witnessing a crime (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
Something I realized the other day. When you go out and perform magic you get different responses about exactly what they see you perform. They are witnessing the performance first hand live right under their noses. They are right in of you watching what you do. What makes me wonder is how accurate someone is when they witness a crime. Just cause someone sees something does it make it true. And how accurate someone sees something as time passes. I know witnesses are good to have. I just don't know how accurate people are when they see something. What are your thoughts on this topic?

I'm also curious to see how accurate crime scene investigators evaluate what they see during a magic show.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The "eye witness" has long been questionable at best to a good detective. Reason is that your mind thinks in pictures and this is not the best way to get a description believe it or not.

Also when people are remembering your show they are also trying to impart the emotion that they felt and the experience they had. It is not easy to describe that, so they add to a story to make it more emotional and bamo you are doing things not possible.

There is an old police academy exersise in which someone runs into the room and shoots the instructor. Then the cadets are told to describe the suspect. He ends up fat, short, tall, skinny and what not. It is facinating.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 11:24, kasper wrote:
Just cause someone sees something does it make it true.

In their mind it may be the only truth.

Quote:
And how accurate someone sees something as time passes.

Details tend to fade out and are sometimes replaced by inaccuracies.

Quote:
I just don't know how accurate people are when they see something. What are your thoughts on this topic?

Some people are more accurate than others.
People have been imprisoned and worse by failure of witnesses.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
It has been proven time and time again that the least reliable form of testimony is eye witness testimony. It should probably be ruled inadmissible in courts of law.

It should also be noted that witnessing performances by ill-trained and inexperienced magicians is itself often witnessing a crime.
Dick Christian
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-01-06 14:34, Dick Christian wrote:

It should also be noted that witnessing performances by ill-trained and inexperienced magicians is itself often witnessing a crime.

Smile Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
This book (and you HAVE seen the videos, yes?) opens with a scathing indictment of eyewitness testimony...and then goes on to explain the reasons why our observations and recall are so faulty.

An absolute must-read for all magicians:

http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Gorilla-......07459659
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well I think Danny did great job in a few words explaining that.

They may not get the details right but they would all go off with a few dilemmas hopefully.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
If you know about the research around witness psychology, you also know that people do not remember what you expect them to. Still, if you think about it there are things you can do to make people remember something with more probability. I think most magicians, like myself, are too ambitious and try o take a too big bite. We want them to remember every minute, though it is not possible. What is possible? I don't think people will remember more than three things, maybe only one or two things from most shows if you ask them a month later. If you could decide what they will remember you could put it to use.

If you set your mind to try to really make people remember something from your performance how would you do it? and what would it be?
"There is no reality, only perception."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Not so sure there's a direct comparison between what people remember from a show they are attending and what they remember from an incident where they just happened to be nearby.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
As suggested on another thread, pehaps "magic is the art of teaching a spectator what story to tell about an observed impossible event." Ammar's "Thirty Year Story" is not so much about the wierdness that happened, but the story of the magic that is passed on.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Witnessing magic vs. witnessing a crime (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL