The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How long for a brass cup to age nicely? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
148 Posts

Profile of BobMc
I have mostly copper sets of cups, and 2 sets of brass. No surprise here, but the brass cups aren't aging as beautifully as copper as quickly as copper. But I suspect they will age quite nicely some day. Any input on how long that will typically take? Outside of some chemicals, anything else I could do to expedite the process besides handling them as much as possible? Any thoughts on the impact of water on brass cups?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I have never cared for the patina on brass cups. It doesn't look as nice as it does on copper cups. The brass sets I have I try to keep polished. I'm sure you have seen brass door knobs that have a dark patina on them They aren't that attractive. It's the same for the cups. That's my feeling anyway.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
On another posting here at the Café, Frank had some pictures of Johnson brass Cups that had turned… I thought that they looked pretty good.
I never seem to be able to last them out and end up polishing my brass Cups.

Bruce
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have a brass Little Don Alan cup that has patinized beautifully. It did it on its own, took about 9 months or so. The surface was highly polished in the first place, which I think helps with the way it looks. They have to get past that sickly green color and devlop into an almost dark olive patina.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1302 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
David Williamson is using a set of Brass Patina Sherwoods in a youtube video and they look really nice.
It is the one with Carny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How long for a brass cup to age nicely? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL