The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Awkwardness of Vanishing Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

newbstermagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of newbstermagi
Hi Guys
I've been working a LOT with my Fantasio Vanishing Cane, and I have found it awkward to P#$M it and to D!^ch it (trying to prevent exposure) I've tried different D!^@#ing methods and I am finding it very hard to just in general trust the prop. Not in quality, This is not a quality issue, as it is Fantasio, it's just that I never know if I'm going to get "bounce back" or not from use-to-use, and I was just wondering if there were ways to remedy this? I have my methods but again, I am weary of some of them and I just want to know if I am on the right track.
Thanks so much!
Matt B.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
The best advise I can offer is practice. The more you handle it the more comfortable you will be. It is all about timing.

What size silk are you using?

Chris
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
newbstermagi
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of newbstermagi
Thanks for the fast reply! I'm using a silk in the ballpark of 36 inches for cover. My hands are too small to hold it with a silk appearance, so I just use it for cover, but smoothly done (cleanup and all) I think it looks pretty good.
Matt B
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
To keep the bounce of the cane, keep it closed when not using it. As far as covering the gimmick, usually when you make it turn to the two silks, they should fall in front of your hands so you can hide it. I don't think I can explain how to ditch it in code, so I'll PM you and do the best I can.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
If you grasp the ferrule in a thumb palm and vanish the cane in to the inside of the hand, it will let you grasp the cane inside the hand a prevent the bounce.

MTpascoe can probably tell you much more in a pm. But if you still need help drop me a line.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
If you don't want to change it into a silk, a simple vanish with it that is much easier to do and has it's own ditch is something Mark Wilson used in his old Time For Magic shows and I "borrowed" in some of my shows. You come on stage with the vanishing cane. Take a sheet of newspaper and roll the cane up in it. It does its "thing" inside the newspaper and your crumple up the newspaper and toss it aside, accomplishing vanish and ditch at the same time. At the end of the act, you take out a black silk, stretch it out, start to spin it around, and now do appearing cane, finishing the spin with the cane. Now Mark did it by stating, "Until we see you next time (starting to spin the silk) when it is (cane appears and continues to spin) Time for Magic. (and at the word "Magic" he stopped the spin allowing the audience to see the cane. Tied in the whole show, vanish when he arrived, appears when he left. I used different patter for mine, but you can come up with something that would work for your type of act.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Watch a video of Fred Kaps vanish his cane in a newspaper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5GYtuzMNs0

I "think" it was JAY MARSHALL who was first to use a newspaper.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The beauty of the newspaper version, is that the cane can be long gone before the audience is aware of the vanish.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Also, his misdirection to get rid of the gimmick is great.
jimvines
View Profile
Regular user
Brooklyn, NY
161 Posts

Profile of jimvines
FWIW, when I'm having trouble getting something down, I find that taking a break from it for a day or two and then coming back to it later helps a lot! It's like your brain keeps "practicing" it in your subconscious while you're away from it, and then when you come back to it, it just seems so much easier than it did before.
LotaBowl.com

The Search Engine for Magic Supplies.

Search 1,000,000+ Products From 40+ Magic Dealers.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Anatole
When holding the cane in the right hand in preparation for the vanish, the thumb and little finger are both gripping the cane from below, while the index, middle and ring finger are gripping it from above. That way the cane is still in the grip of the hand after the transformation. I'm assuming that the cane is changing to a silk, and the silk provides extra cover to make the vanish that much more deceptive. (I would think that the grip I just described is explained in the directions that come with the Fantasio cane.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
Take a look at Victor Voitko's Dancing Rose routine. Not the most convincing method, IMO, though laymen will surely fall for it.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
aceofspades55
View Profile
New user
i have like
20 Posts

Profile of aceofspades55
I have a silver fantasio vanishing cane and I am experimenting with it alot!!!!! I'm pretty good at it , and I REALLY LIKE THE 2 SILK IDEA, I think it's a great prop and I use an 18" silk, and that works just great. I find that if you just loosen up the cane promtly to the vanish, it S%^&s out aaalot faster
JmagicProductions

AMAZING street,stage,fire, and mentalism
MAGIC TRICKS!!!!!!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I use diamond cuts in my cane and if you "unwind" it a little before the vanish that makes it go faster.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Tilt the cane when vanishing towards the tip that will take care of bouncing .
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I hold the furrel between my pinky and fourth finger at the base of the joint to grasp the cane before vanishing.
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
I do the same as "The Raven" It secures the prop, alwell as it lets you catch the prop when it hits your hand. I also move the hand with the silk and the prop across my body, from right to left, just after the vanish. This helps hide the prop as the back of my hand is now facing the audience with a silk hanging from it. Hope this makes sense.

Sindre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Awkwardness of Vanishing Cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL