The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Load and steal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Soyyum
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Soyyum
I have a question
When it comes to stage magic, you have to 'steal' or 'load' ur props.
But what exactly is the difference between steal and load?
Been doing stage magic for years and feel stupid not knowing the difference Smile
Plz help Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What are you refering to? I never heard the term 'load' in regards to manipulation magic.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Load is what you do before you steal, steal is what you do after you load. (Loads are done prior to performance.) Make sense?
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Perhaps some of the confusion comes from the dual use of the word in magic.
As described above, the term load in manipulation... most often refers to something done during the preparation stage
ie; preparing the loads as in packets of cards that are concealed in one's jacket prior to performance.

In other areas, such as close up, loading refers to something that might happen during performance such as loading the coin under a card, or loading the balls into the cups

Regards-
JNeal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I think you have a handle on it.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
When in a store looking for items for your act, don't talk to whoever is with you about stealing and ditching.
-Matt
omarryam
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of omarryam
I just watched Jeff McBride talk about this and Stanyon is right. Load is what you hide of props before performance and steal is when you use them during the performance.
best to you
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
LOL! I always try to yield to my seniors, but I think I can add to the confusion here.

"Loads" are future productions.

"Loading" is really about moving something from place to place. It is not necessarily before going out on stage. (Dropping a box of cards down a coat sleeve is still loading when the cards are moved from a pocket to the coat sleeve.)

"Stealing" is retrieving the "load" to make the production or to vanish it. (In our case above with cards loaded into the coat sleeve, the hand is dropped to make the "steal" so that the deck of cards can be produced from the hand.) With other items like sponge balls, there is a "steal" before the vanish and/or transposition to another color ball, bunny, etc. perhaps "loaded" at the same time into the volunteer's hand.

Very much like a rain dance, timing is the key factor!

A good magician is never seen loading or stealing. But we know it's done.

Have you ever thought about a TT that is loaded, stolen, loaded and stolen. But it may also be loaded, stolen, unloaded, reloaded and stolen again!

Enjoy the confusion.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-01-07 07:10, Soyyum wrote:
I have a question
When it comes to stage magic, you have to 'steal' or 'load' ur props.
But what exactly is the difference between steal and load?
Been doing stage magic for years and feel stupid not knowing the difference Smile
Plz help Smile

What type of magic you perform? How long have you been a magician? And what books do you have?
MattWMagic
View Profile
New user
Issaquah, WA
23 Posts

Profile of MattWMagic
Stealing is when you secretly obtain something and loading is when you put it into play (like behind a shell in a billiard balll routine)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Load and steal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL