The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Top of your Wish List for Cups you Don't Have.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
.....NOT talking here about cups in production or still readily available but rather cups that would top your Wish List because they would have some special provenance (perhaps owned by some famous magician of the present or bygone era) or because they would have some sentimental or other special value to you (perhaps your first set of cups that you let go but now wish you hadn't, or perhaps a set of cups that didn't seem so special at the time you let them go but have since become extremely rare and valuable).

Fortasse
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'd like to get my hands on an original set of Johnny Paul's cups!

In the Stevens vid he said there were only 50, or so, sets ever made...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
A set of Paul Fox cups by Danny Dew, anything by John Dahms and anything by Angelo Iafrate.
"But there isn't a door"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
GADDY... call Joe and buy a set.

Posted: Jan 8, 2011 4:09pm
My wish list?

Dai's engraved cups now owned by Persi Diaconis.

The COPPER Danny Dew PF cups I traded away like a dope and the Conrad Haden Silver cups I traded to Jeff Busby.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Pete:

I hope you get those cups from Persi. When you do, please leave them to my museum!!!!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Dai's engraved cups would be wonderful (don't worry Pete, I'd never take them from you; especially seeing as I don't even know Persi Diaconis--other than by name).

On the cups and balls museum website Bill makes the suggestion, "if an archaeologist found three cups of similar size and appearance, some small, round pebbles and a leather bag, he would probably not think of a conjuror or a grifter with a set of cups and balls. He would be more likely to think of a person who had some tableware" (Bill Palmer, The origins of the cups and balls). I'd like to be that archaeologist, since I would think of the cups and balls.

(P.S. for those not in the know, I have a BA in Archaeology, and am working on my Masters currently)
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Cool! Maybe I can point you to some interesting archaeological sites. Most of the really interesting ones are in areas that aren't very pleasant to be in, though. Mesopotamia, Elam and Bactria are all rather troubled these days, and the Indus valley isn't exactly a resort area!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Surely William Vincent's cups would be the ultimate possible cups for a collector?
With Bosco's cups a close second.
And if I'm allowed a third wish, these:
http://www.zauberzentrale.de/img/screenshots/houdin.jpg

It's interesting to ponder where these cups might be, right now. Were they melted down? Are they in a landfill site somewhere? All three sets are pretty unremarkable objects in themselves; the sort of thing any self-respecting housewife would throw out. Maybe Vincent's cups are sitting in some Surrey potting shed with Begonias growing in them.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The likelihood of William Vincent's cups surviving until now is pretty slim. They were probably rather unremarkable. Bosco's are in a private collection. Robert-Houdin's are also probably in a private collection. It's hard to tell what they actually looked like from that photo. They resemble the cups that Charles Bertram used, but with a shorter skirt.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
I would love to "own" Bill Palmer's favorite set.

(And I do not even know what that might be!)

I put "own" in quote marks to remind myself that we never truly own a great set of Cups...we are merely the temporary custodians, as we move along this ephemeral journey we call life...
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Well Bill, considering that most of my work will probably be in Israel and it's surrounding neighbors, I don't suppose Mesopotamia would be that bad.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
The only set I really covet (may the Lord forgive me ) is a set of old Morrissey Mini Cups. The only cups I regret having traded away is the set of Charlie Miller Cups that I used for 15 years .
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A number of my friends have said that I shouldn't leave the cups to a museum. If I do, it will be with the express instructions that the cups shall be available for magicians to try out. There would be a few that would have to remain behind glass, or at least handled very carefully, such as the bamboo Wheatley chop cups. They are just too fragile to handle.

But I want people to be able to try various sets out and see what they like.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1201 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Bill :

Unfair question : if you could keep (or take with you into the Great Beyond) one - just one - set of cups from your entire collection, which would you choose?

Fortasse
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'd take the other set. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Wonder what treassures the Smithsonian has stashed away?
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I would like the silver and gold plated Monti cups owned by Harry Monti.
Magic is where you find it.....
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 21:57, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Wonder what treassures the Smithsonian has stashed away?

I think the Library of Congress has more actual magic props than the Smithsonian. The LOC has some Hofzinser items.

The Smithsonian has some really odd curators. I have a harpsichord that belonged to my father. It was a custom built item that was used by a number of extremely well-known harpsichordists when they toured Texas. Dad wrote a series of books that actually changed the way that most keyboard players interpreted baroque music. I offered to donate the instrument to them. They refused to even look at the web site.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 22:17, Dale Houck wrote:
I would like the silver and gold plated Monti cups owned by Harry Monti.

Do you realize that it has been more than six months since Paul Dela neglected to send you those cups? Not the Monti cups, but the ones in your signature line?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

RogueMD
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of RogueMD
Well, from the NEW Cups and Balls guy in town (with tongue firmly in cheek!) who still has a lot to learn... I would LOVE a set of Tommy Wonder's (Pom-Poms, bag, and all). Having spent a ridiculous amount of time making these balls and loads, etc., I would be curious to see how mine compares! I'm especially interested in the cups themselves (I'm using the "Johnson Cups" for the routine, but I know these are NOT close!)

Fun to dream....

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Top of your Wish List for Cups you Don't Have.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL