The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » July 11-15, 2011 FCM Convention- Be There! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Per the information at http://www.fcm.org, it looks like the 2011 convention brochures will be posted there later this month. The dates are July 11-15, 2011, at the regular IWU site. Discounted registration through 6-1-2011. I know I will be there at least for the last few days of the convention minimum, looking forward to it!
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
I too am looking forward to the event. Always a great time. And if you are thinking about coming...com July 10...because that is really when the fun begins...
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Hoping to come as well but with going to Kidabra in August for the first time, will have to see if both finances and time off allows this as well. A wonderful convention with lots of learning opportunities.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Looks like Mike Stenberg put a ton of updated great stuff at http://www.fcm.org this week regarding the 2011 convention. Sweet! Has some of the brochures, registration forms (with an early registration discount before June 1), has some of the performers and lectures already listed (including Terry and Barbi Franklin, Rory Johnston- on the cover of the January 2011 Voice of FCM, even the pool and fitness hours (hey- there's a thought!). Jesus came... that we might have life and have it more abundantly (John 10:10) is the 2011 theme. I am planning to be there as much as I can this year- I really enjoyed last year completely and want to try to catch the whole thing this year. It really is the best value in magic conventions out there too... I will bring my "Rings of Truth"- ask to see it (it is really cool as Kif mentioned). Psalm 67! everyone- bring your stuff to do on The Late Show too!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
One thing MagicBob suggested (and I really like the idea) is perhaps during the lunch and dinner hours at the 2011 FCM convention there actually be some special or designated "table hopping" performance tables. If you voluntarily sit at those tables, then you should not be shocked if you are approached by a magician who wants to do some magic for you while you eat. Some folks like MagicBob (who is currently in Africa: Kenya, Tanzania and possibly Uganda doing 30 programs and another 10 evangelism training sessions) regularly performs at Culver's Restaurants in SW Michigan- and he is really entertaining at it. Not large stuff like what is done at The Late Show, but close up clever card and coin effects, etc., some with Gospel applications. Stuff like "Slow Burn". So that would give another venue for FCMers to practice/show off/share their table hopping routines/close up effects/street magic ideas in a setting where the eating audience wants or expects to see it. Ring 211 http://www.Ring211.com does in March every year it's annual Abracadabra close up show for the public- it sells out every year- I am venturing out performing at it in a few weeks. We recently had over 20 of us table hopping for the "Hocus Pocus" party plus did another huge charity fund raiser downtown Grand Rapids (over 2,000 milling around for that event)- it was a blast. I would love that opportunity as well to do it again at the FCM convention, others may as well. It is always kinda ackward at the FCM convention to ask a total stranger if they'd like to see a card trick- and they say not right now or look annoyed or they have to scurry off to their balloon lecture or something. Some do that anyway- but I have never felt real comfortable doing that. Plus, I would love to see what other folks may have come up with. At Abbott's, many folks go over to the Colon Legion Hall at night and hang out (with lots of booze, sorry to say)- last year I was at a table with John Carney, Keith Fields, Mike Caveney and several others- and all of them started doing their pet card tricks informally. WOW- that was one of the best things I saw last year at Abbott's and it was totally unscripted, unexpected, free and a real hoot.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Save 15 bucks too if you register before 6-1-2011.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Was on the Fence but now definitely going - Taking my granddaughter as well - We should have a blast and every year I attend I learn a lot plus appreciate the devotional time it also offers.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Wouldn't miss it for the world!!!
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hey Joey- I'd really like to see a table or two or three or four in the dining room designated for "close up" or for table hoppers. Those sitting or eating at those tables would voluntarily know that someone may come up to those tables and interrupt them during the lunch and dinner hours to show them close-up/street/table hopping/balloon twisting effects, whatever. This would give an easy venue for the close-up card guys, etc. to do their thing- without having to resort to randomly asking perfect strangers who might be going somewhere in a hurry "Would you like to see this trick I have been working on?".

I know there are several really good close up Gospel magic performers in the FCM who I don't see enough of unless I specifically ask them "Got anything to show me?" (that can be annoying too). Guys like PJ Weber have whole coin routines worked out, for example. I remember sitting by one guy at an early morning Duane Laflin lecture last year(it was after midnight) who started doing card tricks and coin stuff that blew me away. Although MagicBob won't be at the 2011 convention due to all his missions commitments this year, his close up stuff is excellent and much of it has a good Gospel messages too.

I hereby volunteer to bring some close up with me to do- maybe we can get a number of folks to commit to doing this in advance just to get it started- although anyone is eligible to do anything they want at these tables without being considered a "show off" or pest. It's good practice and a way to show other folks new material, without having it to be in a lecture format that could require lecture notes, teaching these tricks (which they may not have permission to do), etc.

What say ye?

If enough folks say- YES- I'd like to do that- I will pass on the idea immediately to the FCM brass and get the approval for it to see if we can get some "designated tables". This idea comes from what has happened at Abbott's for years- I remember sitting at a folding table in August 2010 in the American Legion Post in Colon after the evening show and John Carney, Mike Caveney, Kozmo and several others just started hauling out tricks out of their pockets and performing whatever came to mind. Seeing Carney hilariously perform in that informal setting last year was literally the standout highlight of the entire convention for me- and it was free too. These guys literally were almost "one upping" one another. I had no idea author Caveney was so fantastic at close up either- did some amazing moves I had never seen before. They liked having the opportunity I believe to perform their close-up which included a bunch of "spectators" such as myself giving them the open forum to perform for each other.

Hope this idea flies- looking forward to the convention again this year.

Roger Magic Bus from http://www.ChristianMagician.org
Joey Evans
View Profile
Special user
Fort Myers, FL
534 Posts

Profile of Joey Evans
Roger,I think that's a great idea! I haven't heard of that idea before, but that sounds like a great format. People really need a venue to try out their magic and new material. I would love to sit at one of those tables.

I remember one night at Steak & Shake, we had an impromtu close-up night approaching tables and seeing who could get the best reaction.

In any event,I think this would be a great idea. There is a lot of hidden talent at FCM, this would be a great way to bring it to the forefront!
The Visual Comedy and Magic of Joey Evans

http://www.Evansmagic.com/

The Impossible Has Never Been So Funny!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I'll make up some "Table Hopper" signs out of poster board and put them on some tables when I get there (I should be at the convention by 9am latest on Wednesday)- let's do it! So one and all- bring your favorite close-up effects- Steak N Shake has now officially moved to the IWU Caféteria! I'll will bring some of my stuff (Dean's Box, Rings of Truth, the "Phil" card trick, etc.)- will be a hoot (at least for me!). Thanks again all. Roger from snowy Kalamazoo
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Sounds like fun
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I forwarded the idea today onto the FCM brass- got several positive responses back already- so looks like this kite will fly most likely. Sweet! If not already going by Wednesday of the convention when I finally get there, I'll have some "For Table Hoppers" signs posted on a few tables in the Caféteria beginning lunch time on Wednesday. Then come on in and sit back- and be prepared to pick a card, any card!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
And yes, you're gonna get the King of Hearts every time so I can explain who the King of my heart is! (one of MagicBob's Gospel closeup lines...)
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
Oh no... I have just signed up for conVENTion (ventriloquism convention) which falls on the same period. Smile
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Wow- it's only March 24 and already some of the lecture topics are being posted at the http://www.fcm.org website for the 2011 convention. Lecturers already booked include: Mary Luber, Aaron Gillam, Brennan Scott, Steve Varro, Jim Austin, LeMar Yoder, Phyllis Fishnik, Gary Barker, Mark Tripp, Steve Parker, Shari Ellingson, Mary Porter, David Laflin, Nathan and Kathy Dorrell, David Ginn, Jay Merline, Jack Smith, Barry Mitchell, Ricky Henson, Joey Evans Brummet, Terry & Barbi Franklin, Bob Shimer, Dave Mitchell, Jack Markley, David McMichael, Oz and Wilde, Frank Johnson- WOW!!!!! Additional lectures for FCM registrants to be added later as well. Just a fabulous start- all this plus the various shows days and nights, meetings, auction, fellowship, closeup, dealers- great lineup above and this does not even list the evening show performers (see the brochure for some of them). Looking forward to the new Barry Mitchell "Duh!" lecture using props purchased from the dollar store.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
Yup, lots of lectures - the benefit is if you keep going, generally you will be able to get to all the ones you want. I know sometimes I wish I could be in three places at once when I am out there.
Doug Follett
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of Doug Follett
I agree with revmike. It seems you always have to select between two that you really wish you could go to. I guess there's no way around that, unless they video taped each session, or offer re-runs of some sort. Smile This is especially a problem when you want to venture out into one of the other areas of interest aside from your main interest.

Doug
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Funny that you mention that. I went to a Dave Mitchell vent lecture at FCM several years ago even though I am not a vent. Just laughed and laughed as Dave went through his various routines- he was really on a roll that day. The lady sitting next to me literally laughed non-stop for 30-40 minutes- Dave may still remember that lady. Great fun.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Birdsboro, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
I am also venturing outside my comfort zone this year at FCM. Since I have begun to do a few balloons (my wife does much more than me) I am not only attending Magic Workshops but also plan to attend several of the Balloon Workshops and hopefully even on of the Juggling lectures.

Getting close.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » July 11-15, 2011 FCM Convention- Be There! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL