The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Modern Mentalism Vol 2 by Matthew Mello - Honest review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddiep1960
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Eddiep1960
I want to know the work of the "new generations". I bought some E-books and DVD´s. I bought this DVD from this performer, in which he shows 7 effects . The price is 30 dollars.

The original blurb:

:: PS I Love You :: An impromptu and powerful demonstration of the connection and bond between people, using an ordinary deck of cards.

:: GI Joe :: A method for revealing multiple pieces of information, using an object that you can pick up nearly anywhere.

:: Billet Tear :: With this simple tearing sequence, you'll be able to reveal almost any piece of information that the spectator can think of.

:: Instinct :: This is a simple Russian roulette routine which has been used and tested by Matt for many years. The method is genius, and once you learn it, you'll be able to perform this miracle with a variety of presentations. Also included is a bonus idea not offered on the original Instinct video, something which gives the effect a nice extra punch at the end. Warning: Do not perform this effect if you are under the age of 18. Anyone who performs this takes full responsibility for their actions.

:: Preservation :: A multiple phased pk effect in which you're hands, wrists, and even the objects/environment can be completely examined beforehand.

:: Point and Predict :: After the spectator shuffles the pack of cards and spreads it across the table, they are asked to touch one, their choice completely free. The card box is then opened, showing a prediction that's been in play since the beginning. It predicts their chosen card.

:: Dark Arts :: A drawing duplication of the simplest design. The spectator makes a drawing, which is concealed in an envelope and held in their own hands. The performer then makes a drawing that perfectly matches the spectators.

I will give you my honest review from each effect:

PS I Love You: A nice idea. Is basically a re-framing of an old trick.
GI Joe : Horrible use of a classic prop for mentalist.
Billet Tear : I still prefer the classic method.
Instinct : Not genius as the blurb say, but still interesting. I don't use this type of routines because theres always risk. We never know.
Preservation: Interesting, but not appealing for my style.
Point and Predict: Nice prediction effect. Still I prefer other ideas and handlings.
Darks Arts: Nice idea again, but nothing new worth the price.

My favourite is PS I Love you, the last in my list is GI Joe... just horrible
If you have some dollars to spend , buy it , but don't expect too much.
Not recommended from my opinion
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I concur with your review. I purchased the 2 volume set only after seeing the good review from the Wizard Product Review guys. I'll have to take their reviews with a grain of salt from now on.

Vol. 1 is similarly disappointing. The serial # divination is dodgy. The ACAAN is nothing of the kind- it's a specific card at any number.

Each volume contains about an hour's worth of material. Why wasn't everything placed on a single disc?

I recently saw someone on the Café selling both volumes for $25 total. As the guy on BARGAIN HUNT says, "That's about its money."
Eddiep1960
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Eddiep1960
Hi Mind Guerrilla. As you say... disappointing. Not only because the false description of the effect, but also the lack of crediting.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2493 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have to agree, don't do Mentalism but after the Wizard review thought I would have a look. Bought cheap but not that cheap from a member. Have not been impressed so far. Craig called this the best ACAAN he has ever seen, I don't get it.
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Craig said the The Hallucination (ACAAN) from In My Mind is the best version of acaan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEP-WSNa8RQ
However, today, he found Matthew 's version. That is it.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Craig,

What makes the Mello version so good in your opinion? Is it the directness or ease of handling? Interested in your thoughts mate.

John
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1545 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-01-25 12:37, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
I concur with your review. I purchased the 2 volume set only after seeing the good review from the Wizard Product Review guys. I'll have to take their reviews with a grain of salt from now on.

Vol. 1 is similarly disappointing. The serial # divination is dodgy. The ACAAN is nothing of the kind- it's a specific card at any number.

Each volume contains about an hour's worth of material. Why wasn't everything placed on a single disc?

I recently saw someone on the Café selling both volumes for $25 total. As the guy on BARGAIN HUNT says, "That's about its money."

You really should take everything we say with a pinch of salt. All the Wizard Product Review is really is two guys sitting around chatting about magic. It doesn't make us right. What I like and Dave likes you might not. The only thing we promise is that we won't lie or bend the truth. If we think something is bad we say so. Likewise if we think something is good w vsay so. That's why everything we review we offer for sale on the site and we will NEVER review our own products.

I've had loads of people in the past disagree with me in he past which is fine. Regarding MM, I really like it. PS I love you and Handy Prediction are now in my act. I love the holdout principle for loops as well. Regarding the ACAAN you are right technically it's a CAAN but I perform it as a ACAAN. Simply have a blue and a red deck and have the blue deck shuffled. Have someone name a card and openly take it out the red deck and hand it to the spectator. Put the rest of the red deck away and take the blue deck culling the selection to the top as you have the spectator is writing the number of their card. Now proceed as in Matts method.

Why do I like it? It's simple, it's FASDIU, there are no dodgy moves, and the use of a stranger card really leads to a clarity that is missing from most ACAAN. Were there things I didn't like about the DVD? Yes, there was a lot of filler, it should have been a single DVD, it's quite pricey and his crediting is terrible - really terrible. But overall I liked the DVD it was really good.

I hope this clears things up a bit!

Craig
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1545 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 02:32, asherfox wrote:
Craig said the The Hallucination (ACAAN) from In My Mind is the best version of acaan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEP-WSNa8RQ
However, today, he found Matthew 's version. That is it.

It is good very good, I do it but better things come along all the time especially when you look at as much magic as me! I prefer Matts because it's FASDIU but Lupe's is still very good - just better for a formal performance!
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 15:07, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-01-25 12:37, Mind Guerrilla wrote:

You really should take everything we say with a pinch of salt. All the Wizard Product Review is really is two guys sitting around chatting about magic. It doesn't make us right. What I like and Dave likes you might not. The only thing we promise is that we won't lie or bend the truth. If we think something is bad we say so. Likewise if we think something is good w vsay so. That's why everything we review we offer for sale on the site and we will NEVER review our own products.

I've had loads of people in the past disagree with me in he past which is fine. Regarding MM, I really like it. PS I love you and Handy Prediction are now in my act. I love the holdout principle for loops as well. Regarding the ACAAN you are right technically it's a CAAN but I perform it as a ACAAN. Simply have a blue and a red deck and have the blue deck shuffled. Have someone name a card and openly take it out the red deck and hand it to the spectator. Put the rest of the red deck away and take the blue deck culling the selection to the top as you have the spectator is writing the number of their card. Now proceed as in Matts method.

Why do I like it? It's simple, it's FASDIU, there are no dodgy moves, and the use of a stranger card really leads to a clarity that is missing from most ACAAN. Were there things I didn't like about the DVD? Yes, there was a lot of filler, it should have been a single DVD, it's quite pricey and his crediting is terrible - really terrible. But overall I liked the DVD it was really good.

I hope this clears things up a bit!

Craig
Cheers for that Craig.

John
Eddiep1960
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Eddiep1960
I really don't care if you can do this CAAN with 2 decks and perform an ACAAN. The adverts said : ACAAN... and every magician and mentalist knows that in that handling isn't "any card".
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1545 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hey thought I'd help by letting you know my handling!

I know the ad copy is incorrect which obviously isn't good but it's n easy fix

Craig
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Eddiep1960, Craig was helping you out man. Giving you his handling for the routine. Why start your post with "I really don't care if you can do this CAAN with 2 decks and perform an ACAAN". Why not start with a simple "thanks". Good manners don't cost anything and people will respect you a lot more.

best
Sean
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Hi Sean.

Eddie was my friend and customer. He sadly dies a few weeks ago.

I know that he was a little ****ed of for the false blurb, but he was a nice gentleman.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Modern Mentalism Vol 2 by Matthew Mello - Honest review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL