The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little man by paul Harris is shipping today (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Havens
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
313 Posts

Profile of Havens
I don't agree that the reviews on this thread (or any other) are being planted and I'm not going to spend my time hunting down their other reviews to verify this. It's quite an odd and strong accusation to make. If I'd received and reviewed Little Man I'd be quite offended at being called a liar as is being suggested, even if it's not being said directly outright.

I've been receiving the above emails too, I won't paste the full email here as it will provide some exposure but one small element has broken in a few cases. PHP are sending replacements to all customers F.O.C. and replacing the element with an unbreakable material before sending out the units in stock. For me this is good customer service, people make mistakes it's how they deal with them that counts.

Little Man has be fraught with problems, delays and disappointments but this has clearly been bad luck and from the best of intensions. Janet has always been quick to respond to any emails and provided me with a refund as soon as I requested one. Little Man has been released now, lets let the owners and the audiences decide the true quality of this effect.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Haven, I wasn't referring to you, but I get your point.

Also, I wasn't insinuating reviews were actually being planted. Smile

sneaking out of here. Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I did accuse someone of planting a review in another thread. I am wrong, and I am sincerely sorry.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1397 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Am I the only one who doesn't find any of the demos magical looking? To me it doesn't look like he's "walking" at all. It looks like he's being pulled along mechanically. It seems that audiences will intuitively sense this as well, turning the whole thing into more of a clever, mechanical puzzle than "magic." Just my opinion, of course. I'd love to hear some honest, "real world" reviews.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1397 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
It is in fact one the main -among others-
criticism about this product by non users
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1364 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
Anyone ever have a horse racing board game in the 1980s?. The movement reminds me a lot like how the horses moved.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 16:41, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Anyone ever have a horse racing board game in the 1980s?. The movement reminds me a lot like how the horses moved.

I still have the game....still works...sort of...I remember it being very loud...loved it though..
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
You are not suppose to notice that BSEARS. The emperors new clothes look fantastic. It is magical when an inanimate object moves from one end of the pad to the next...we call that walking.
I'm sure some will like it, and more power to them. To me though (and this is my opinion), I fail to see anything magical. Just an expensive toy.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2991 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
That has to be one of the best demo videos ever.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
ruprac
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of ruprac
Quote:
On 2011-01-12 17:32, Ben Harris wrote:
Mine is currently swimming up the Brisbane River.

Benny

LOL
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Watching the video...makes me want to buy! Ha. Little Gollum looks so neat shuffling along.
If you perform this in Haiti you'd be a voodoo God.

The only negative is the black bag. But you can just say you're placing the bag down to protect
the table surface.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 16:29, Jean-Luc.R. wrote:
It is in fact one the main -among others-
criticism about this product by non users

Are you saying that it isn't in fact what you claim it not to be? Please be honest does it not in fact say "please pull or watch out for the m((((t?
Magic is a vanishing art.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
You could say it is "Baby Doc" he just returned to Haiti.

Thanks but no thanks.

BTW, I'm sure that Paul's buddies will come here and say that this is the greatest since sliced bread.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
I think it looks great, not sure what the hate is all about, but different strokes for different folks.

Definitely think a voodoo thing would be the way to go, could be a killer!

Liam
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Yeah, the thick black bag is the deal-breaker. Audience management or no audience management, it'd be hard to keep your spectators from saying, or at least wondering, "Can you do it without the black bag?" They might not know what's in the bag, but if they think something is in the bag making it work, the mystery has been lost and the entertainment value severely lessened.
Martin Waring
View Profile
Loyal user
York, England
244 Posts

Profile of Martin Waring
LM has just entered the building here in York last week and I have just spent most of the weekend with him, learning his little ways.

I was pleased to see that one of my ideas, to have him walk into the arms of a little woman made it into the final cut. Apart from that suggestion which I made here on the Café I have no involvement in the production of this effect.

First impressions are that this is a well constructed and well thought out product and routine. The build quality appears to be pretty robust, certainly in its initial testing. I can imagine that in time with wear and tear there might be some parts that need replacing eventually and I'd be interested to hear if there is going to be any opportunity to buy spare parts if needed.

There is nothing difficult at all about the moves involved in the routining - IMHO a beginner could do this having learnt the material on the DVD and come out clean.

There are a couple of potential ways the animation can go wrong (for instance surfing), which happened to me but they are dealt with on the DVD and I'm pretty confident I know how to set this up properly now to avoid these misses.

As to the bag - you can let them take items out of the bag at the start - indeed this is encouraged. They can look into the bag at the start and finish and fumble around inside a bit - they won't find much. In fact the clean up is a masterpiece of ingenuity so even though the audience may guess at a method, if they look inside the bag after the effect is over then they will probably have to think again because they won't find what they are looking for.

I've just been out to buy some pink and white clay to make up a contrasting little woman and am looking forward to my next performance opportunity to see if they can 'get it together' - so to speak and see what audience reactions are like.

Well done Paul and the rest of his team for releasing this. It was worth the wait.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1397 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Follow these links :

1) Little man by paul Harris is shipping today

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=218

2) Whatever happened to "Little Man"?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

I have seen the "Little Man " package with DVD.

The DVD is 2 hours long and your host is Chris Ballinger (the guy from Magic Geek I think).
Nothing is left on the explanations.Great tutorial.

What can I say.It is gimmicked to the HILT !!!!!!

The clay box . The plastic bag .The "Little Man".
But after the presentation you still can show the material quickly and will look normal.

Is it a magic trick worth $300 ?
You will have to find out for yourself.
Anyway everything was already said in other topics on this point.

But I can say that it is , from my viewpoint , a mechanical marvel .
So clever and so much thinking into the creating process.

Is it walking ? NO , NO and NO .
Everybody agrees on that.

It is "crawling" slowly on the bag like 2 or 3 inches.

You get the gimmicked clay box,the gimmicked bag, 3 small packs of normal clay , a Frixion pen for some specific routines,70 or so business cards to use as costumes parts for the little man and some accessories ( with gimmicked ones) like small plastic hearts and one ballchain.

The quality of the props is top notch.

Honestly it is pretty surprising to see the trick in person and look at the Little Man moving.

Very different than a video promo.

Is it a magic trick ?
What is a magic trick anyway????

But for sure it is a mechanical marvel or toy.
And an expensive toy no doubt.

So I hope it helps.

That's it.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2635 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Firstly, this trick isn't my cup of tea - I simply couldn't use it.

That said, it looks brilliant and has been produced by a magical creative genius.

The only thing I would say relates to a number of posts on here stating 'the spectator would work out how it's done' - or words to that effect.

Sorry but am I missing something here? I work semi-pro and have done since 1978. I personally DON'T get people telling me 'how things are done' or how they 'believe things are achieved'.

First and foremost, Magic is simply a form of entertainment - and if you are truly an entertainer, then you don't get these kind of comments because basically, people should be laughing or so entertained by your ACT that sitting there puzzling over the modus operandi is not even on their mind. I'm not saying people won't turn to the person sitting next to them and say "how did he do that?" BUT if you are getting these types of comments aimed at YOU then you are being perceived as someone demonstrating puzzles - NOT AS A MAGICAL PERFORMER/ENTERTAINER.

If you truly get spectators worrying more about how you did something, then please don't take this as patronising, but you seriously need to work much harder upon your presentation.

Just my opinion of course - and apologies for taking the thread off topic.
Barry Allen

Joe Riding
20th May 1932 - 23rd April 2005

Thank you for making me an entertainer. I still miss ya mate.
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1078 Posts

Profile of taller8
"If you truly get spectators worrying more about how you did something, then please don't take this as patronising, but you seriously need to work much harder upon your presentation. "

There is so much truth in that statement. Most people, including myself, just analyze everything to death, with out looking at the presentation aspects of my magic.

Maybe if I focused on my misdirection skills, I wouldn't be concerned that the dates don't match on my shell set . Smile

I just watched a Chad Long DVD and it was so refreshing to see a great magician be 'entertaining'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little man by paul Harris is shipping today (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL