The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Any example of optical illusion *as* magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Partly inspired by fellow member Winslow Homers posting that "Optical illusions are not magic.", I want to ask which, if any, effects you know where the main effect is achieved thanks to the optical illusion.

When I say "main effect", I'm looking for tricks/effects where the optical illusion is not only something that supports the deceptiveness (such as the majority of the examples given Homer’s thread).

I guess Black Art is a general application (even if it for pretty much all of the few Black Art effects I've seen, it is obvious what is going on - even if it's beautiful/interesting).

But I'm curious if you can think of other specific tricks/effects where the OI is the "key ingredient" so to say. I.e instead of a gimmick or sleight-of-hand etc or, if these are used, they are secondary. Alternatively, the gimmick (etc) is what makes the OI tangible, but it is the OI itself that is the key factor of the deceptiveness of the trick/effect.

And need I comment that I'm talking about tricks/effects that come across as magic to the participants? I.e not as something merely clever, nice, interesting, amusing, puzzling, or what be it.

/Matias

P.S. After writing the above I'm beginning to hesitate. Maybe it's a pointless question, or at least things would have to be defined more clearly before we can use the terminology.

In that other thread, someone, among all the somewhat criticizing examples, mentioned a folding coin not being magic either. But maybe a folding coin (for example) is an optical illusion? I.e. what makes an O.I. and what is not one? I've kind of become used to think of Escher pictures as optical illusions, but obviously there is nothing that limits O.I.s to a pictures on paper. But then I also consider, say, the Ames room an O.I. (see the comment below). And is the Ames room magic (if presented as such)? Well, yeah, I think it would be.

I'm calling for some definitions of O.I. I guess.

/Matias

*The Ames room is a room severely contorted that still looks regular when viewed from a certain point. A popular application is to have two people standing in it, and thanks to the contortion, one looks huge and the other small.
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
Let's start with something small.

If you fold paper currency accordion style over the face of the predominant characters mouth and tilt it slowly back and forth, they will appear to smile and frown.

Isn't that an O.I. and the main reason we see the resulting animation? Kind of like a GIFF in motion.

O.K. It’s not really Magic, but ...
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
LaBarre, you wrote your post before I added my P.S., so you'd possibly have written something different (even if my P.S. didn't quite change the specific initial question).

Anyhow, the example you give is an OI, I guess, but - as you point out - not magic, because the explanation is obvious. (I.e the explanation, for a viewer I may add, does not lie in anything magical, but rather the physical condition of the bill.)

But maybe (?) it can be applied to magic? Maybe it somehow, after all, can be something that a participant would attribute to magic powers? I guess my initial question then asks if you know of that particular application.

Thanks

/Matias
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
In my readings I've taken an O.I. to be something that deceives our senses so that our mind misinterprets what it receives.

So let's see. Knife or Needle through Arm, Levitations, Linking Rings, Zig Zag, T-Tips, Coin Retentions, Cut and Restored, etc.

Great subject. I'm looking forward to the reactions you've started.

I'm racking my brain to be more specific for you without giving away anything that hasn't been done by our FRIEND the Masked BADgician.

How about The Doll House? The Illusion is one of Depth and Emptiness. False information is given and perceived by most as, "There must be a trap door of some kind in the floor."
Solution: To perhaps raise the platform or at least eliminate all the possible logical conclusions.

The Magical Powers would be that of producing something or someone from nothing.

Are you looking for new methods or just a discussion on the principles involved?
Am I on the right track?
Glen Alan - "The HOW in your Magic should be Secondary to the WOW in your Magic."
Mr Amazing
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazing
Quote:
G. LaBarre wrote:
In my readings I've taken an O.I. to be something that deceives our senses so that our mind misinterprets what it receives.

IMHO this is a pretty fair description (even if it of course would have to be, "... that deceives our optical senses.")

But, and this is confirmed by the examples you give, it is also a bit disturbing to me as a magician (or whatever I call myself) because I would not want all the visual things I do to simply be classified as OI's. (Magician’s minority complex?). But on the other hand, some do call themselves illusionists!

Isn't there more to magic than mere deception of the eye? Surely there is. (And still, so even if we expand it to 'deception of the senses' + presentation + interaction etc.)

In my opinion, magic should be magical, but I know some disagree with this. Usually this would mean something perceived as supernatural. I don't feel the same way about what constitutes an OI.

My goodness, this discussion is really taking another turn than what I first intended/expected. But I have a feeling this is necessary to be able to answer the initial question.

/Matias

I'm actually uncertain of what The Doll House is even if I think I understand from your description. Yes, this is I guess, a good example where the optical illusion is the key to the whole trick/effect/experience/method.

Quote:
Are you looking for new methods or just a discussion on the principles involved?
Am I on the right track?

Frankly, I don't quite know what I'm looking for or what the track is, but you're definitely on it Smile

/Matias

Note
Quote:
... our FRIEND the Masked Badgician.
I hope 'FRIEND' was irony. What is sad about what he did is not so much the specific tricks he exposed, but the general fostering of the public to look for methods instead of enjoying the magic. Contorting magic into puzzles; emotions of wonder and joy into intellectual exercises and challenges.
G. LaBarre
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
121 Posts

Profile of G. LaBarre
Yes, Yes, Yes. I do agree.

No, we shouldn't generalize all our Magic into Illusions. The Invisible Deck looks like Mentalism.

There is way more to Magic than Optical trickery.
Hearing for one. The click pass is an example.

Magic should indeed be Magical. (I finally went to the other category on O.I. an added my two cents. Check out my last entry on Needle Through "Inflated" Balloon.) Basically you're right. If it looks like you did something, then you only tricked them. It would be great to always have them attribute the result, to some powers.

When I was younger I believed Houdini had reached a level of knowledge that gave him extra powers, along with Kreskin and Geller. Now that I've studied Magic, I hardly believe in anything anymore.

Teaching Magic on TV was good, but all out exposing it wasn't. If they want to learn, let them work for this knowledge.

I just started to watch the Jerry Andrus tapes. He has invented many great O.Is. He made the comment that every profession needs those that study the history of the field and those that know nothing, to bring about radical thinking.

I just went to a site listed elsewhere and viewed the Optical Illusion with the words CARBON in red and DIOXIDE in blue. When a glass stem is used to view the words, only the red word CARBON gets turned upside down. It’s a PRETTY COOL effect.

I think this is close to what you're looking for. It's Optical and it's an Illusion where only one word turns over.
The Illusion IS the effect and not just part of the effect.
http://www.grand-illusions.com/index.htm
CO2 A Party Trick

This principle could be adapted on a large scale in some way to do on a stage with a plastic lens. I know Copperfield could find a way.

Come on people, help us out here. Jump on in, the waters fine. Has anyone ever bought and read "Conjurers' Optical Secrets by S.H. Sharpe 1985"
Mushu
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Mushu
There's one kid's illusion where one caterpillar looks bigger, then the other. Then they both turn into a butterfly, both sections being identical in size.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Tenyo's Blue Crystal is an optical illusion as magic. The same could be said about Reality Twister.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
I have a feeling Tenyo's Moon Spinner would fit this. When the paddle is moved in a circle a circular object appears. It's just an illusion though but the optical illusion is switched for a real coin before the motion stops.

/Tomas
eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
There are a couple of old simple tricks that are down to optical illusions. One is the waggling of a pencil so that it looks as though it is bending. The other that springs to mind is the curved (sort of half moon shaped cards) that used to be in kids magic sets when I was younger where one minute one card was the bigger, the next the other and then they both become the same size.

Maybe Gozinta boxes might just make it here as well?

At a push the Balducci L********* might be?

Oh and another one might be The Bobo Coin Vanish which he himself attributes to "retention of vision" on behalf of the spectator.
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
Lots of the moves for thimble magic effects rely on O.I.
kerpa
a/k/a Mike Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
LaBarre,

The glass stem idea HAS been marketed for close-up. It is called "Vision Tester."

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3369 Posts

Profile of Julie
One of the most striking Magical Optical Illusions I have ever seen is the GROWING and SHRInking Head.

This applied the properties of the old Hypno-Coin on a larger scale.
DrBob
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of DrBob
I guess you could include the twisting arm illusion.
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Mirror boxe, mirror glass spring to mind... If you look at them in a certain way... they certainly seem empty, and they eye is convinced that it saw the all of the interior of the box or glass... Several stage illusions use similar type of deceptiveness. I hate to say it, but sometimes it is done with mirrors!
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Abbott's "Torturette" would apply.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16997 Posts

Profile of joseph
I saw Bill Malone use the shrinking knive illusion in the color changing knives routine on his videos....Paul Harris uses a pocket mirror to give a startling OI, in his Twilight Angels effect......
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
596 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
The Vanishing Leprechaun

three cards or sheets of paper are shown,
15 Leprechauns are counted
the top two parts are traded
Now 14 Leprechauns are counted.

Ok, your have to see it to understand, but it is an IO that is a magic trick.

You can contact Bill Pryor at http://wrightdesigns.com/magic/

Ask about "The Vanishing Leprechaun"
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
How about the simple boomerang (or bannana) comparison/ stretching illusion??
Watercooler
View Profile
New user
England
81 Posts

Profile of Watercooler
Surely the Zig-Zag Girl illusion is the grandaddy of all optical illusions?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Seeing is believing » » Any example of optical illusion *as* magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL