The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » A friend approaches you with a deck of cards... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Well, you can never be too sure about the quality of the cards, so I'll have to agree with

the

SPELL-TO MYSTERY
using the key card approach. if not, you can use an injog to do it and pick up from there...

otherwise you can do Ambitious Card depending on how the condition of the cards might suit your sleights.
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
Ok giggip just mentioned this but I'm already to the end of the posts so I am gonna second the biddle trick.It's any easy sleight to learn and very impressive.I get great reactions.I also use it when a spectator insists on shuffling the cards when I don't want them to . Smile
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Kundalini Card Rise
Out of This World
Gemini Twins
Unadulterated Cutting The Aces
and Clairvoiance (by John Guastaferro / Brainstorm video)

Enjoy,
Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
HeyLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Arlington, VA (D.C. suburbs)
128 Posts

Profile of HeyLockwood
I'm a big fan of Brother John Hammon's Twins, Vernon's Twisting the Aces, Daley's Last Trick, and Fechter's That's It! If the deck was beat up enough that it would beat up my presentation, I would definitely do Untouched, in part because I just learned it a couple days ago. Smile

Mike
Why doesn't it tickle when I tickle myself, but it still hurts when I stick a fork in my eye?
Brian Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of Brian Morgan
I always keep a three-trick routine ready that can be done using any deck of cards at moment's notice:
  1. Totally Baffling Card Control (PaulGordon)—the kings are seen and placed into different places in the deck and all gather at the top of the deck.
  2. Dr. Daley's Last Trick (Bill Malone)—I believe David Blaine did this trick on one of his specials as well. The aces are separated by color and switch places while they are in the spectators' hands.
  3. Card on the Back of the Hand (Bill Malone)—awesome trick!!! Never fails to get a great reaction.
Yogibear0925
View Profile
New user
Florida
20 Posts

Profile of Yogibear0925
I have a lot of success with Mark Willson's Automatic Card Discovery. Have the selected card turn face up in the deck. Great reactions for impromptu magic.
Its not the magic that you do, but the way you do the magic.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I assume that most of the time the cards are in shocking condition. I like tricks where they do the magic and you just instruct. I do a "you do as I do" with my own deck (I always carry one) where to spectators select three exact cards without me touching the cards using some forces.

I do a routine where one spectator selects a card and then they count few cards and know which card the spectator selected. I can't recall the name and I do prediction. Most of the above use forces.

If they insist to see more I say your cards are Sh---ocking and then use my own deck.
ABlair36
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
234 Posts

Profile of ABlair36
I like to do Wack Your Pack. If the cards have a white border, I do Twisting the Aces. If I can have some set-up time, I do Pre Deck Ability or Out of This World. Ambitious Card never fails.

If in good condition, I like to do Snap Change. I also do "one-handed pass" (name of trick, not actually one-handed pass). Two Card Monte as well.
Mikey-Flys
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton, Alberta
179 Posts

Profile of Mikey-Flys
Harry Murphy:

I tried your first trick suggestion a few times today when asked to show something and it met with good reactions. I added a little where you false shuffle the deck first (after "removing the jokers/checking to see if any cards were missing"), toss out the top card, shuffle again, toss out the second card, shuffle again and then are good to go. Smile It got some really good reactions!
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
I'd perform Reset.
Or a Sandwich effect.
Or an Ambitious Card routine.
Or an Oil and Water routine.
Or a Triumph.

I don't know, too many choices.
Shawn D
View Profile
Elite user
Hughson,Ca
465 Posts

Profile of Shawn D
A trick I love to do when someone tries to hand me a deck of cards and says do a trick is Daryl's Untouched. I like to say, "Let me think of a card and you find it. I won't even touch the deck."

Then I do the routine and it kills!

Shawn D
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
No matter what the condition is, usually you can always do a key card effect.

I try to keep it simple with good impact, then give the cards away.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Design for Laughter is the correct name of RRTCM trick mentioned and it's a great magician in trouble effect, as it really brings in the spectators emotionally. It's an impromptu favorite of mine and the way I play it, especially for a group of new spectators who are doubting of my skills as a magician, is to reaffirm their doubts and explain that I just starting working on this trick and I'm not sure if it will work. It sets the stage for the magician in trouble premise.

You need to control to the bottom and do a glide. I've been doing this effect more and more when someone hands me a deck, as I get a lot of enjoyment out of the effect and the spectators are baffled. The magician in trouble overtone misdirects their attention enough that they don't pay attention to any sleights, not like they're that difficult anyway, so you can really ham up the performance. When the revelation finally occurs, I congratulate them on naming the correct number, thereby removing the sting.
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
Fastest Gun by Darwin Ortiz
Han Solo
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Han Solo
I like
:erdnase color change andLarry andersonsa business sandwich. always gets great reactions.
Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!-Elmer Fudd
Eric Woods
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
115 Posts

Profile of Eric Woods
I argee with Shawn D. Daryl's Untouched (Ammar Vol. 4)is worth learning and in the right conditions (not loud parties, ect.) Larry Jennings' Immpossible (Ammar Vol.6) is very powerful.

Some overlooked masterpieses are:
Learn Magic --Henry Hay
(some great insight into misdirection, don't overlook it as too much of a "beginners" book)

The Amatuer Magician's Handbook--Henry Hay
(another inexpensive must) for a GREAT impromtu effect look at the optical fan location p. 113, learn a few "outs" and you'll have some smooth magic

Close-Up Card Magic --Harry Lorayne
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I really like Vernon's "Out of Sight, Out of Mind." This is one of the best mentalism effects going, and it would probably work fine with an older deck.

I also like "Las Vegas Leaper" or "Whack the Pack", both by Harris.
Chris
tgcramer38
View Profile
New user
Longview, WA
35 Posts

Profile of tgcramer38
To put in my 2 cents in a more general manner,
I always carry a small show in a fanny pack in my car, and can perform a number of effects at a moments notice.
Some of the items I carry are spong balls, ring and rope, floating pen, cards, an invisable deck,some packet tricks, a hot rod, safety pins, rubberbands,and coins, some gaffed.
This sounds like alot of stuff, but it fits nicely.
On my person I carry 1 coin, a thumb tip and a sqweeker. Oh and business cards.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I agree CK, Vernon's routine is top notch.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On 2002-04-20 04:43, David Smyth wrote:
They ask you to perform some card magic for them. What would you perform?

Thanks,

"Cheesewrestler's Ultimate 52-Card Pickup Supreme Deluxe"

Take the cards and spring them into the air, using the technique in "Supersecret Inner Secrets of Magic Dai Vernon Didn't Think Were Worth Talking About".

Say, "Pick up any card."

Spectator does so.

Say, "Great! Only 51 to go!" and walk away, executing the Marlo One Foot In Front Of The Other Shuffle.

(All manufacturing rights reserved)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » A friend approaches you with a deck of cards... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL