The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Using a chick in Crystal Fish Cylinder (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Hi Folks, I've searched this forum for a topic similar, but couldn't find one. So, here goes.

I have a nice Crystal Fish Cylinder by Ickle Pickle. I don't wish to use it to produce live fish simply because of the setup, transfer of fish, etc.

However, I'd like to look at the possibility of using a chick, you know, the little yellow ones that used to be available every Easter for kids. I think they're chickens, but I really don't have a clue.

I'm not a livestock guy and I figure that chicks probably don't live long anyway. And I certainly don't wish to start raising chickens.

So. Where whould I begin to find the chicks I would need, say just two or three at a time, and what is your experience with keeping them alive and for how long?

Is my vision unfounded and out of bounds because of the eventual death of the chick? I would also consider giving the chick to a child with a parent's permission, though I doubt that permission would ever be granted. And the price just may not be worth the effort, either for the effect, or for the giveaway.

I'd appreciate y'alls th0oughts on this. I suppose a turtle or two would work too, but the idea of a chick walking across the table at the end of the transposition strikes me as amusing.

Thanks folks. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Aside from the obvious joke about the chick drowning in the fish tank, I'm a bit perplexed by your comment that chicks don't live long. If this were true, there wouldn't be any chickens. I'm not a PETA spokesperson by any stretch, but I think you may be better off looking for a different trick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If you don't want to care for a chick, as I heard they grow really fast, in a matter of days, to chickens, which you could pluck and have for your Sunday dinner. LOL

Then why not get some gold fish, they only require a tank and food. They are fun to calm you nerves when you watch them swim around. They only cost like 75 cents to 3 dollars a piece. A small 10 gallon tank is easy to care for once a week.

My concern is you wanted to use a water tight appratus for a breathing chick. That does not make a lot of sense to me. It would be better to use something so the chick can breath easily. Water tight means air tight.

Where to buy chicks, from a chicken farmer. Drive around the county and look for signs that say, eggs sold here. They most likely will have a source for you, or ask around small towns in your area.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The mystery is not so much the fish, but where did all that water come from? The fish are sort of an afterthought just to point out that you conjured up a cylinder full of water. Using it for anything else is not using it to its full potential, even though you CAN use it for silks like the regular silk cylinder, and you CAN use it for mice, chicks, tarantulas and all, but you could also use the regular silk cylinder for those things. I think, if you are looking for something different, and you don't want the water because it is too plain without something floating in it, should consider what else you can get that floats in water. Even plastic fish available in most pet stores get the point across - it's a cylinder full of water and whatever. OR you can focus on the liquid and produce a cylinder full of rootbeer, or real beer, or milk, or milkshakes, etc.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-01-12 22:50, Spellbinder wrote:
OR you can focus on the liquid and produce a cylinder full of rootbeer, or real beer, or milk, or milkshakes, etc.

How about eggnog? That would explain the chicken.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Y'all have been great; it's the old KISS principle; keep it simple stupid! Bill, you're right about the fish after all, they're easier to maintain than chicks; And my Montana-raised wife just told me that the chicks do grow fast because those chicks she got on Easter Sunday were chicken dinner later on. I guess my only experience with chicks as a kid was that every kid that got one ended up with a dead chick soon after. Spellbinder, your point about the water is spot on, I never gave that part of it a thought. (I haven't used the effect yet) That's magical in itself. And Michael, I'll admit that I got the idea of using a chick from a recent youtube video of Master Payne producing a chick at the end of his cups and balls rooutine. It was wonderfully amusing. But in the end, I don't wish to raise chickens nor do I want to kill chicks, so I guess I'll use the Crystal Fish Cylinder for it's designed purpose. Thanks gents for your help. Best, Bob

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I think you'll have a very strong trick! Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I hate to be the nay-sayer. But if you think it's a good thing if your livestock expires, you shouldn't do any tricks with animals.

All animals take a certain degree of care and upkeep, even fish. And although you CAN get cheap little fish very inexpensively, I just don't think it's ethical to use an animal you don't want to care for. It's a life, and its your responsibility.

Plenty of magicians don't do any animal tricks, there is no need to do them. If you don't genuinely love animals then you won't be good at it and, trust me, they will be more trouble then they are worth.

I agree with the non-animal suggestions. Make something fun to drink appear and hand it out.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
igr8mgkman
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of igr8mgkman
My thoughts are the same! If I may add Depending on the animal used, requires a lot of work on training etc. they become part of your life! You love them; they love you back! When that animal dies you feel it! When our first rabbit died it was very hard. We became emotionally attached to her!
gianni mattiolo
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of gianni mattiolo
Hi, I work with animals. I devoted my life to them and absolutely agree. PLEASE don't work with animals unless you love them and you are ready to take care. We are as performers already in big trouble due to animalist people. Please do not give them reason to talk! (I do not know about in the USA, but in Europe after "the prestige" there are lot of people who think that we use new bird every time, not kidding!!!)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2011-01-12 16:47, Michael Baker wrote:
Aside from the obvious joke about the chick drowning in the fish tank, I'm a bit perplexed by your comment that chicks don't live long. If this were true, there wouldn't be any chickens. I'm not a PETA spokesperson by any stretch, but I think you may be better off looking for a different trick.

Look up Matilda the magic chicken on the Internet. She lived 16 years as a performer in a magic act in Alabama. At her death in 2006, magicians gave her a "Broken Perch" ceremony. She is also in the Guiness record book!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2011-01-13 13:56, Cyberqat wrote:
I hate to be the nay-sayer. But if you think it's a good thing if your livestock expires, you shouldn't do any tricks with animals.

Yikes, how this thread got twisted from a question about using chicks, to the point that I think it's a "good thing" to let animals expire, is beyond me. In any event, I think the last sentence in my last post says it all. Thanks for y'alls advice. I say again, the Crystal Fish Cylinder stays on as exactly that.

Posted: Jan 14, 2011 10:42am
[/quote]
In any event, I think the last sentence in my last post says it all. [/quote]

Sorry, make that "... my penultimate sentence ..."

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
This was the quote, maybe you didn't mean it how it sounded.

"I'm not a livestock guy and I figure that chicks probably don't live long anyway. And I certainly don't wish to start raising chickens."

Quote:
On 2011-01-13 21:48, gianni mattiolo wrote:
Hi, I work with animals. I devoted my life to them and absolutely agree. PLEASE don't work with animals unless you love them and you are ready to take care. We are as performers already in big trouble due to animalist people. Please do not give them reason to talk! (I do not know about in the USA, but in Europe after "the prestige" there are lot of people who think that we use new bird every time, not kidding!!!)

Yup. I know a lot of magicians love that film but Im *not* one of them, and this is one a of a few reasons.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Does that mean I have to stop doing my Live Chicken to KFC Bucket of chicken parts? It's the one they always ask for at family reunions.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Using a chick in Crystal Fish Cylinder (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL