The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Any information on "Travelling Salesman" case? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Currently I use a suitcase on top of a tray stand when performing. I'd like something a bit more "integrated" I've heard of old fashioned travelling salesmen cases that had folding legs built into them, or you could attach. I've been googling, binging, did a yahoo or two, I even searched the Café....and haven't seen anything specific.

In the Café forums there was reference to a medicine show book by Tom Jorgenson possibly having plans for such a table. Anyone with the book, could you confirm there’s such a plan and thoughts? If favorable, I’ll find and buy the book.

I’m not looking for a Cellini type set up of using an open trunk with a top on it. Ideally what I’d like is something like a large leather suitcase that has foldable legs attached, or perhaps legs that detach and screw into the body of the suitcase.

Have seen the Billy McComb table on the School for Scoundrels, but I'm wanting something more "old fashion" looking.

Is there such a thing that anyone knows of, or have I been having a few too many pints and imagined it all? If there is such a beast out there, any suppliers or stores I could check out?

Thanks for any and all help…
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
The book is called "The Medicine Show Manual". It's an excellent book.
There's a full description of a keister and a one-page description with two photos of "the sample case".
Tom is on the Café. You should contact him.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Tom's book doesn't have plans for a case with legs built into it. He has a "kiester plan" in it, which is a case that is hinged and opens out, but sits on top of a tray stand, similar to what you're already using.

Mark.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
You set it on a tripod ..... it's called a tripe and kiester ....... you can see Ed Wynn use one in an old Twilight Zone episode.
http://www.cbs.com/classics/the_twilight......iohrzlHS
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On 2011-01-12 23:39, ringmaster wrote:
You set it on a tripod ..... it's called a tripe and kiester ....... you can see Ed Wynn use one in an old Twilight Zone episode.
http://www.cbs.com/classics/the_twilight......iohrzlHS

The set-up in the show is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks...will be searching for a tripe and kiester...
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I like it! Let us know if you find it. I may get one myself. Smile

Mark.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Well, my education continues. As I've been searching for "tripe and kiester" turns out that's the specific term for a case that then sits upon a tripod. The case seen in the opening of the Twilight Zone is technically a "dropcase." Meaning the legs are attached to the case and drop down.

Trouble is googling "dropcase" brings up a lot of legal stories about lawsuits... the search continues.
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Interestingly, magician Glen Farrington just posted this tonight on his Facebook. These tables care on special for $5 at Bestbuy. It's an Activision DJ-hero carrying case. Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but whoa.

http://kotaku.com/5325372/dj-hero-gets-c......gallery/ Click on images 1 and 3
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
I know it's not exactly what you want, but I thought you might think it interesting.

my wife brought it to my attention one day.

http://shop.nailbiz.co.uk/new-bespoke-nail-station-12-c.asp
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
If you want to get in to showbusiness the worst way:

liveauctioneers
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Magic1: Thanks, that's quite a bargain, but the DJ Hero logo doesn't fit my character.
Jimmy: That's a sharp table...never imagined looking at a nail supply store.
Ringmaster: I laughed so hard coffee came out my nose. A toy pitchman's set? Who would have thought? Toys certainly have come quite some way from the 50's to the DJ Hero toys of today. That auction site was very interesting...they had card presses, card trimmers and devices to re-round card corners. Looks like an old magic manufacturer equipment...very cool.

I took some screen shots from Twilight Zone that shows the drop case...the hunt continues...

Click here to view attached image.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
That case in the stills appears to be just a normal leather case with a sissor-type laundry rack attached to the bottom. This would be very easy to make yourself. The case is self-expanatory; the laundry rack might be at Ace Hardware or Home Depot. Failing that, you could just make it yourself from scratch in a couple of days.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Scroll down to the 3rd photo. This is exactly what is attached to the bottom of the case in those photos. It can be yours for $30:

http://www.ecohousekeeping.com/clothesdryingracks.html
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Thank you Chance for the posts and the link. You are exactly right, best solution would be to make one. When I get back home to my tools, that'll be first project on my list.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Good luck. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Mark. Smile
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
176 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
I found these two cases on Amazon and I think they look really good if you're trying to recreate one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Antique-Wood-Suitc......04E5HQ9A

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Leather-Anti......bs_hg_35

I'm thinking about getting the wood one.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember the "Professor" in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" had a case similar to that, but that may have been designed by Disney and not regularly available.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
As mentioned to Jimmy in a PM, I haven't done anything yet. I'm a very, very part time performer...so in no rush. And I have a set vision in my head as to what I want. Biggest obstacle is finding the right suitcase. I've my heart set on a 1930-40's style leather case. And I just haven't found one that's the right size, in good enough condition, and at a reasonable price. Though I am excited about the Amazon links Jimmy posted. In the related items below I see they sell the old style "travel stickers" of countries and cities. So may get some of those if needed.

But plan is to keep my eyes open and find right case. Then I'm planning on either finding an accordian-style frame that will support it. If I can't find one, I'm pretty sure I can build one...I've looked them over at Home Depot (BTW thanks to Chance for the inspiration). Will then put holes in case, install grommets in hole, then use bolts/wingnuts to attached drop frame. I can then take it off as desired.

But first step is finding the case. Will post as warranted...
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
176 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
I found some old cases on Esty.com too. You should check there.

Jimmy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Any information on "Travelling Salesman" case? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL