The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Question about silk books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I am putting a stage act together with card manipulations and doves and I said to myself one day that I need more. I thought if I was using a silk for cards from silk and for dove work, I might throw in some silk magic. I want to know what are the books to buy on silks? I once heard about a encyclopaedia of silk magic, but I can't remember the name or where to buy it. Can you silk guys please help me out with all the information that is worthwhile with silks? Hopefully I will not be the only person who will prosper from these questions.

Thanks very much guys and girls,

DJ
Air56
View Profile
Regular user
SC
140 Posts

Profile of Air56
Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic.

Smile Smile Smile
DJM " Not all who wander are lost"
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6582 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Absolutely! 4 volumes, fully illustrated that teach virtually every conceivable plot with silks!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Thank you guys very much. Is there anything else worth getting?
Air56
View Profile
Regular user
SC
140 Posts

Profile of Air56
That should be more than enough to keep you busy. Good Luck!

Smile Smile Smile
DJM " Not all who wander are lost"
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi DJ:

I recommend the Rice's series also; I've had a blast reading them through the years. One thing to keep in mind - they were written about 50 years ago when performing conditions were much different than today. Much of the material in the books assumes you're on a stage with most of the audience in front of you; therefore, you'll have to adapt a lot of the material. But as Scott said, there are a lot of classic plots...20th century silks, Sympathic Silks, Blendo...there's even a whole chapter on Soup Plates and Silks!

I agree that Rice's is your best source. A couple other sources for you include some of Duane Laflin's silk videos - he's a terrific performer. Also, Jeff McBride has a lot of silk magic on his "Magic on Stage" videos.

Good luck to you.

Ron
Rice
View Profile
Regular user
Ruth Rice Crone
102 Posts

Profile of Rice
Hello DJ,

I appreciate all the nice comments about my Dad's (Harold Rice) books. While I (his daughter) am not selling the three volume set any more (just the original Volume III), we do have a number of his monographs and a great deal of Dad's original silk collection if your are interested in quality silks and other silk effects. The website is http://www.silkkingmagic.com

Hope this information is helpful.

Ruth Rice Crone
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
You can't go wrong with Rice's books. I would also suggest the videos by Duane Laflin. He has, in my estimation, brought back the beautiful art of silk magic.

Steven
Marcus Taylor
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Marcus Taylor
Ade Duval published a book of his silk act. It is called Rhapsody In Silk and IMO is worth getting.
Smile
Magically Yours,

Marcus Taylor

marcus-magic@hotmail.com
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
What does IMO mean?

And I picked up the books also, they're really great.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
IMO: In my opinion
IMHO: In my humble opinion
IMPO: In my professional opinion
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2003-09-01 18:06, DougTait wrote:
IMO: In my opinion
IMHO: In my humble opinion
IMPO: In my professional opinion

Shucks! They're just plum good silk magic books. After forty years, I still find good ideas there.

Bob, PhD (Post Hole Digger)
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
The Rice encyclopaedia is not only THE work on silks (it shares, or should share, honoured shelf space next to TARBELL in any Magic library, IMO) but is also a glimpse at a Golden Era of Magic.

I never saw a performer take the stage in a smoke-filled room and turn a nightclub into an House of Wonders; in reading books like Rice's, I can imagine it...and perhaps, one day, recreate some part of it.

Leland
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Rice's Volumes are epic works, but may not be the best place to start. There is so much information that it is somewhat like trying to sip from a fire hydrant. Also, many of the effects are not available now. You might check Laflin's site and get some of his effects that come with videos such a his palmo gimmick and video, the silk ball and video, the silk fountain and video and his latest, silk loads and steals. Check http://www.laflinmagic.com.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Question about silk books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL