We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Why Did You Become Interested in Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
GypsySojourner
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of GypsySojourner
Hi!

I'm curious as to why people become interested in leaning magic. At first I was just attracted to the visual aspect of magic and wanted to be able to do what I saw magicians do. Now, I love magic because of the thrill and enjoyment it can give others. What about you?
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
I enjoyed magic as a kid but could never afford those very expensive Paul Daniels tricks. Now I travel for work and hotel rooms are really dull. After a semi succesful stint at origami I started magic because it engaged the hands and the mind and allowed me to perform.

I love making people smile, laugh and wonder.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I think it started because my big brother was interested in it, and I wanted to be just like him.

As it happened, his interest waned and mine only grew Smile

I love magic because of its cleverness and the delight it gives others. Plus, as I was an "egg-head" and outsider for most of my growing up years, it
was something that I could do well that those who were good at things like sports couldn't do at all.

FInally, I've always been "fidgity" and practicing coin sleights gave me something to do with my hands Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3930 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
In 1989 I saw a street performer doing the Invisible Deck. It amazed me...I mean it SLAYED me. No internet to speak of in those days. So I went back three different days to see him. Different volunteers..different card each time. I was utterly flummoxed. Had no idea how he did it.

Wound up going to a magic shop where the man there (always perfectly dressed with a white goatee) would see me a trick for one price, the instructions for an additional dollar and teach me how to do it for another two bucks.

That was the best money I ever spent. Ever. He taught me misdirection, the importance of pausing, thinking about what I was saying, connecting to the audience, showmanship. I've been into magic since then...full time pro for six years. And yes...I still LOVE and perform the Invisible Deck.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
diehards2080
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, New York
256 Posts

Profile of diehards2080
Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants came out when I was 11 or 12. Got me hook after 5 min.

Mike
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
A young fellow back in Dallas in the early 50's James M. Wilson and his lovely bride Nancy Louise Selma Arends Wilson caught my fancy and I was hooked from that point on. Real nice couple, wonder what ever became of them?
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
I had no idea about magic untill the local bar that I used to go hired a close up magician to perform every Friday night.. I was totally amazed with the things he was doing.. So I took the decision to enter this world.. He helped me a lot (and he still does it).
Then I realized that magic is like mathematics.. They 're both endless.. In both there are many ways to do what you want, but only one works best.. Even studying both of them for the rest of your life, there is going to be something new that you will don't know it..
For those reasons and so many other I became interested in this art..
Searching for the magic side of life...
Riku_Pajari
View Profile
New user
Mikkeli, Finland
99 Posts

Profile of Riku_Pajari
I have been interested about sleight of hand and body controll all my life and when I found magic again when I was about 19-years old, I noticed that magic is not just sleight of hand but your character too. This way I can compaine my other interestes, as acting, dancing and creating something your own.

Now days I just love to amaze people. I also love to create my own shows with my personal touch. And I'm still a huge fan of sleight of hand Smile
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1095 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I got a kit when I was really young, and I enjoyed using some simple stuff to entertain my parents and brothers. Then, when I was in junior high, I saw a real performer while on vacation. I was amazed, and we ended up visiting his store. After I got some "real" miracles (compared to the kid stuff from before), I was hooked. I performed for almost everyone I knew (and even some I didn't!). I've always enjoyed entertaining, and this gave me a great avenue to pursue that love. I let a lot of my magic slip when I went to college (for various reasons). After I got married, my parents had me go through my stuff at home and take what I wanted before they threw the rest out. It was then that I "rediscovered" my magic stuff and have continued my pursuit since then. I enjoy the clever thinking and the great entertainment value magic provides.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
HerraTaikuri
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
60 Posts

Profile of HerraTaikuri
I friend of mine used to do card tricks at the school and I thought that they were nice and he showed me how to do couple of them. Then sometimee later I did one of them to my friend and she totally freaked out Smile and she did that after every trick I showed to her. Her reaction was something so strong that it really hooked me into magic Smile
I'm very social and have always enjoyed performing and making other people laugh and have a good time etc. And magic really is something that combines all those and much much more Smile
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I was hooked after seeing a magician, I think his name was Bob Brown, come to my elementary school in East Tennessee back in the 60's. I was amazed. As I grew older, that memory never left me and I was caught with the excitement and entertainment of watching magicians perform. Then I got personally involved with magic in the early 90's while living in Atlanta and, as they say, the rest is history! Smile

Mark.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2011-01-13 14:14, Father Photius wrote:
A young fellow back in Dallas in the early 50's James M. Wilson and his lovely bride Nancy Louise Selma Arends Wilson caught my fancy and I was hooked from that point on. Real nice couple, wonder what ever became of them?
Hey, whatta coincidence... that's the same couple that sprang my interest in magic too & that's why I got into magic!! Smile

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I was fascinated by the element of deception and application of guile and knew I would have an outlet for my natural ability to lie. That others are amused is a healthy byproduct.
You know why don't act naive.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17198 Posts

Did herb just say he is a pathologic liar who feels magic is a tool to help him amusingly deceive others?
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
If having a natural ability to lie makes one a pathological liar & people enjoying my magic means I am amusingly deceiving them, well then yes.
Otherwise no.
You know why don't act naive.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
17198 Posts

LOL, great answer, herb! I meant it tongue in cheek, you seem to have come back with an equally tongue in cheek answer.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
I'm not sure where it all started. I loved magic from a very early age and received a magic kit when I was about seven or eight. But I really got hooked forever watching Doug Henning on TV around 1975 or 1976, when I was about ten.
Wes
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
I am known by sight around most of my 'haunts' as The Yo-yo Guy - like Cyberqat, I suppose I must admit to being fidgety. Like sleight of hand, Yoyo can often be practiced while doing other things (especially WAITING).

Anyhoo, last year I just inexplicably got the urge to do magic. I really don't know why.

I used to feel incomplete leaving the house without "something round" (yoyo) in my pocket. Now, I always carry "something round" and "something square" (cards). A lot of the time "something straight" too (sharpie).
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1312 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Well when I was about 5 it was the 80s. It seemed as if magic was always on TV.David Copper field making big things vanish, Magicians on the Royal Command performance and the absolute best Paul Daniels magic show.

My older brother was really in to magic and he got magic set when we was younger. I dabbled a bit but dint have the concentration or the fingers. But from watching act on PD I saw juggler and type. So I got into juggling.

Then around begin 10 I saw street buskers and type. This got me into performing a bit. At college I met lot of jugglers and got in juggling in big way. I always liked magic and would see lots about. Now and then I would get the odd trick.

Then at work in 2005 we had a magician join us. After time chatting I got into magic. Since then I have loved. I have gone out on the street and busked I have done drinks parties and corrprate event.

I think as a kid I was to hypo for magic but now just a little more chilled.
I love magic it fun to learn and practice. I love taking it out for other people to enjoy.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
My grandparents gave me a little magic set for my 4th birthday. I made a coin disappear and my mother got so excited. From then I was hooked. That was 1977. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Why Did You Become Interested in Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL