We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First performance! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
Saturday I'll be doing my first performance (with the exception of very small things over 20 years ago). Woopah! I'll be with my local IBM ring - Ring 219 in Lafayette, IN. We are doing a freebie show for a nursing home which accommodated one of our magic brethren for a month or two. They let us use their conference room for free so he wouldn't miss the meeting. Now we're paying them back with a free show.

I'm going to perform the Bill Abbott 5-Card Opener, and I'm pretty psyched! (It was the very first trick I performed when I was two years old!) Smile

Wish us luck!
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Best wishes to ya.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Good luck! You'll do fine and everyone will really enjoy themselves.

Mark.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Congrats on getting out there; I'm new to performing myself and I know the joy of hearing that applause! It's addictive, as you will see! Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Don't do it! You will be hopeless hooked and find yourself doing this for the rest of your life! The bite of the performing bug is the most addictive known to mankind! Break a leg!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucky you! Go for it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
I just recently had my first show as well. It was the most amazing feeling ever. The nerves and excitement, your heart pounding in your chest and the roar of the audience lifts you up so much. And yes, you will be hooked for life.
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"

"I'm finding everything I'll ever need, by giving up gaining everything."
Riku_Pajari
View Profile
New user
Mikkeli, Finland
99 Posts

Profile of Riku_Pajari
Good luck! I hope it will be a blast!

First gigs are always the most exciting ones. Just have fun!
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
Just FYI,

The show went very, very well. I did the opening trick, and after a slight bit of nervousness, I was able to fall back on the script which carried me forward nicely. By the time I hit the third phase, all nerves were gone, and I was just up there having fun.

Seeing the smiles on people's faces was great. I know what you guys were talking about "addiction" now. I was high on life for two or three days afterwards -- for a free show!

After the show, I received compliments from the veterans of the Ring - a couple of pros. When I get my full act together, Abbott's 5-Card Opener will be in there, for sure.

After the show, I greeted the crowd, and they were very appreciative. I did a bit of close-up magic for them, and they were very receptive. I happened to bring "Extreme Burn" with me, which was well-received, and I wish I had more. I don't have a lot of close-up stuff in my repertoire yet, but I could have managed 3 or 4 more tricks, if I had the right tools. I wish I had more, because I was in a confidence "zone" and could have done more. Note to self: In the future, bring more "just in case" magic.

Thanks for the well-wishes, folks!
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Congratulations! It sounds like you had a great time. And meeting the crowd afterward is the frosting on the cake! Smile

You probably did just the right amount of “after show” magic. The expression “always leave them wanting more” can be just as difficult for us as it is for them, because we love doing it!

I’m glad you got hooked! It’s the best “buzz” there is!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
982 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Couldn't agree more, "alway leave them wanting more" - much better than one trick too much!
Congratulations on your show!

Hudson
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Congratulations, you are off to a great start. There is no harder audience to play than an audience that has magicians in it. So you did great.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Yup, good job. You've learned the first secret of being a performer... people who AREN'T performers run when they get that "fight or flight" response, or freeze up. To Performers, its a rush and you *use* that adrenaline in the act. Smile

Now, your next test will be when things really screw up... and sooner ro later they will. Just remember that 9 times out of 10 if you don't act like you made a mistake, the audience will never know Smile And that tenth time, you can always make a gag out of it and the audience will love you even more for your good sport attitude Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
jglumley
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
243 Posts

Profile of jglumley
Good for you, glad every thing went well! I think all acts are a work in progress or at least they should be.

The best part about being a magicain is meeting your audience afterwords to shake their hands.
The "18"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First performance! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL