The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Any interest in a new smoke from hands gimmick? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
I've been playing around with a few things lately and just wanted to see what the potential interest would be in a smoke from hands gimmick which did not use any harmful chemicals. I've come up with an answer that addressed all my concerns with previous products. So if there was such a gimmick created, what features would you guys like to see?
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
I would definitely be interested. I have been on the fence about ultra smoke since it came out.
Features in my perfect smoke gimmick
-not harmful
-ease of replacement of whatever smoke is made of
- ease of set up( I'm not a huge fan of having tubes and wires anywhere and everywhere)
-instantly repeatable
-hands clean before and after smoke is produced
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1108 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Interesting idea !
I would need the above features plus :
- thick smoke to be used on stage
- Obtain a "puff" of smoke ( as with US2000), not a "stream" (as with "smoke from ears")
- Possibility to set up the system to deliver the smoke at the waist area. By this I mean not depending on arm set up.
I wish you all the best Don with your idea !
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
The first 2 points made by lawrens I would definitely want, the third I would not necessarily need.
Nice points Lawrens
Mr Harlan this type of gimmick has been a long time needed, so if you could produce something I'm sure there would be quite a following.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Sylvester's pocket volcano already does all of this. It's pricey, but it's a professionally made product.
Official Thread Killer
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
400 for a smoke from hands effect is too expensive in my opinion.

Mr Harlan, care to chime in here?
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
First off let me thank elimagic, and lawrens for the input. To address Stucky's position in magic there are always more ways to skin a cat, but some methods work for some and the others are left wanting. So to clarify this will be an electronic system, operated by a toe switch professionally made. It would not use any harmful chemicals so no worries about clothing or dangers to you or your audience. Other benefits would include, odorless smoke, battery operated, activated by a toe switch,the ability to wear and operate without a coat as the unit can be worn under a long sleeve shirt comfortably, instantly repeatable (45-50 good puffs before refilling unit,and the hands would be clean before, durring, and after the effect. The puff of smoke would be in between Smokey magic by Trevor Duffy and Ultra Smoke 2000. Thank you for the input and as I’m still working with a prototype I would love to hear any questions or comments.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Once the product has come back from the testers were looking at around $150-$175 price point.
<BR>
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2011-01-17 10:41, elimagic wrote:
400 for a smoke from hands effect is too expensive in my opinion.

Mr Harlan, care to chime in here?

I agree that it might be too much of a working pro price to pay, but it is a quality prop.

Don, I wasn't trying to bash the upcoming device, merely pointing out other options and making sure you knew what was out there already. Good luck!
Official Thread Killer
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
I wasnt accusing you of bashing, sorry if that's how it came across.

And that's the perfect price point,if it addresses most of the above listed issues.

You say mr Harlan that is is between smokey and ultra,,, how so. Like in thhe amount of smoke, or what?
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Yes elimagic I was referring to the amount of smoke produced.
<BR>
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Sweet. I cant wait to see a demo
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
Any new news on this?
Guillaume Vallée
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Guillaume Vallée
Hello,

I think there is the Nicolas lepage gimmick "smoke one" and also this one: http://www.52magic.com/product_820.html
a bit cheaper and apparently doing the same thing..

Do you think, Don Harlan, that there are practical differences in your device that would justify the extra cost?

(BTW Stucky, Volcano is different, it may produce a much larger amount of smoke)
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
How those prototypes coming?
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Great, we have had a lot of fun playing with the proto-types. We just finished units for our product testers. So were excited to hear the input from them.
<BR>
elimagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1664 Posts

Profile of elimagic
When will a "demo" type video be released
Mach
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Mach
Any updates on how testing is coming along?
TTrushin
View Profile
Regular user
USA
188 Posts

Profile of TTrushin
Any updates on this? I have always wanted something like this
alexon
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of alexon
Is anybody familiar with the 'Pure Smoke' device from Ellusionist? It came out very recently. It is about $147.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Any interest in a new smoke from hands gimmick? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL