The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Whats possible with hypnosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2011-01-14 20:38, Dannydoyle wrote:
Bobser stop. The "probability" of such a thing is such that you have a better chance of being struck by lightening while winning the lottery. In other words minute at best.

Thankyou for the input Danny. I have to say, that in my experience, I disagree. In fact did it yesterday in a coffee shop. Although I can totally comprehend why you would find that impossible to believe.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What I meant was there is a whole new generation of younger people who see something on t.v. presented as "hypnosis" such as the Derren bit he's referring to as well as Chris Angel and others that see what is presented as "hypnosis" but in reality is usually something else or something more which has been highly edited to appear to be much more simplistic that what hypnosis really is. This combined with youtube segments of magicians doing a routine under the "guise" of hypnosis, which is really just some pseudo trick presented as hypnosis when in reality no hypnosis is involved.

Over the past few years I have been experiencing these younger people that come up to me after my shows saying they enjoyed my show but when they saw Angel or Brown on youtube or t.v. "they didn't have to do all that stuff to hypnotize the people, they just walked up to a stranger or strangers and said sleep now! and dozens of people just started dropping to the ground."

I feel the mentality in these examples and the initial post here that hypnosis is as simple as this, or that the belief is that this is what hypnosis really is. While this may be possible, it's very uncommon. A few years ago there was some videos floating around showing outtakes of Darren Brown on the streets trying to do something similar when he actually tried doing this to something like 56 or 60 different people until he finally had one that responded as needed, only to later have the guy admit he was just playing along. My point is lay viewers would see the edited version on the one guy as it airs and think that this is the norm and it is really all that easy.

Anything that involves any "preshow" work or editing is not usually real hypnosis as it is executed.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I agree Minpro in as much as Derren's stuff is ALL edited, quite rightly so.

I should add that in my earlier post of me hypnotising in a coffee shop, the recipient was informed that I WAS a magician, so in all fairness there was some kind of expectancy going on in that particular situation.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Actually mindpro that belief from the public has been around a long time. Many years ago when I did therapy I got a call from a female who had a son at uni who was depressed. She asked me if I could come around to her house and be introduced to her son as her friend. I would then "knock him out" sort out his depression; wake him up; and he would not remember anything! This was long before Derren Brown

What Derren brown, Angel combined with the internet has done is create a desire and a market to learn how to be wannabees.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes mindpunisher you are correct, this has been around for a long time. I guess that it's just being discovered and more popularized with the technologies of youtube and the like. Just as in the story you explained people see it and believe it and then expect it. This combined with the vast amount of people that believe whatever they see on t.v. or the internet can lead to a great deal of misinformation or misperceptions that exist.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok lets put this crap to rest once and for all. WHAT PERCENTAGE of people can you do this to Bobser? All I have ever heard are anticdotal stories and hypnotists who turn into mentalists and try to redefine what a trance state is and yada yada yada a lot of hot air.

I would bet you a $1,000 that if you walked up to 10 people here in my town that YOU chose that 0 would drop into trance if you tried, and at least 3 would punch you in the face. I am sick to death of the claims and the bs spread about this. IT DOES NOT HELP THE ART to have a bunch of kids running arround thinking they are learning the Jedi mind trick. It is crap.

So what percentage "in your experience" Bobser? Seriously. Give me a number not anticdotal stories. Otherwise it is nonsense. You guys make so many claims and never seem to back them up with video of you doing ANYTHING like you claim. I am sick of it like mindpunisher. You use weasle words and sort of claim this or that is trance and talk yourself into it. It is nonsense.

Yea 1% IS possible. .0000004% IS "possible". Give me what you think the percentage of people you just walk up to and start suggesting things, WITH NO PREAMBLE, and not using any mentalist nonsense who will just follow your directions.

You guys are going to have this poor kid thinking that he can just walk up and make people do things. Yea one in a million some chance. Don't lead this kid down that path please. He does not deserve it. He seems nice. OH wait you can invite him to run about pubs and do this crap with you. Or sell him a bunch of crap on how you claim it works. Yea that would be great.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You also have define "hypnosis". Many think if they close their eyse and slump forward they are hypnotised. They aren't really hypnotised. Yet many of the new wave of impromtu hypno's have an orgasm at this point. The other side is ethics. Its not ethical or advised to do so. Its more to do with ego satisfaction and attention getting.

Why would you want to do such a thing? And despite bubble James's sarcasm there ARE risks doing so. Especially if you don't know what you are doing.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have WATCHED someone slump forward and get a nose bleed on the knees. Of course things can happen.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
'An when I wor'a'lad we used to live'int cardboard box at bottom o'lake'

Come on guys.

Danny- you may well have no experience of such moments but to say they never happen is a little narrow minded. I agree that it may take more than 'sleep' fir most people but there are undoubtedly some that will respond with little else*

*I am taking into account the very small percentage of communication that is given to words. Your behaviour, personalty and body language can set up a great deal of expectation in almost no time at all. Whether the person has ANY notion of who you are and what you do. There are several factors that will have influence on how you and they frame the moment.

Once again - just because you accept limitations doesn't mean everyone else should... Automatically!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Like I said give me a percentage. Till then it is claptrap and you know it. I will offer you the same $1,000 as Bobser. Come up to 10 people right here in Branson.

It is not about accepting limitations, it is about accepting reality.

There is a small chance you can jump out of your car at 60 mph and not get hurt. That is not the way you would get out of your car every day after work now is it? Just because you MIGHT NOT get hurt or there is a small percentage chance that you won't does not make it probable or likely. Like I said show me examples (plural) or it is claptrap.

You are ALREADY expanding the peramaters! Answer his question as asked, not as you want to hear it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Just because you accept reality Danny doesn't mean the schoolboys should stop dreaming of being astro naughts.

Pick a card don't let me see it.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Amen!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Instead of giving this poor kid hope "than it can be done" why the hell isn't anyone here directing him in the right direction to get the proper education and training. He may be a kid that just wants to get "to the fun stuff" but this isn't helping him in anyway or offering him any true encouragement or advice.
Danny tries to call you on reality and you can't take it. This is a stage hypnosis forum and what he's asking and the advice he's being given is not the proper advice to help someone to properly get into the art.

I could go up to random people on the street and ask them for a hundred dollar bill and perhaps if you did it long enough you'd find one sucker to do this. But I wouldn't consider this a financial plan. Doing what he's asking is not what is definition of what hypnosis is or the execution of how it works in reality, not far-fetched circumstances.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
This is the problem with most street hypnotists. They are not that clever although they delude themselves into thinking they are. They cannot separate reality from fantasy. They do not listen to anything that brings them into some kind of reality. Their motivation for "learning" hypnosis is more to do with compensating for some personal shortcoming rather than a desire to learn or become any good at hypnosis.

Just look at the videos online. Ive not seen one yet that shows any real skills with hypnosis. And now these are the ones offering "trainings". I guess there is no shortage of socially inadequates wanting to step into the limelight.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Wow, look at ol' minpunisher being all profound! (lol)

I agree as it seems to be reduced to "how do I learn to do some cool tricks" or "I gotta learn how to do that" rather than "hypnosis is cool how do I go about learning more about it". This is combined with the problem and mentality of "I just bought and learned from a dvd, so now I should be able to do it too!"
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I think it's an interesting question.
As usual there's an alternative to the near-assault, ambush-type hypnosis answer.
In fact I was once asked a very similar question by a theatre director who was willing to "put his money where his mouth is" and got me in to work with a theatre company, WITHOUT any mention of me being a hypnotist.
Story here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAXO6YR2pKY
Maserati
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Maserati
Is there any good resources that speak of waking hypnosis? I'd love to learn more about that as well.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hey Reg, way to go. Loved the clip. And no doubt bubble has done similar stuff.

Y'see this is what learning is all about. Reg has proved that just because he does stage doesn't mean he can't develop even greater skills.

Why can't some people simply take in basic information? It's like arguing with Statler and Waldorf up there in the balcony.

You say not to lie to the kid or lead him on. That's condescending towards him at best. If your not careful 'the kid' is going to know a lot more than you could ever have even imagined in a few short months!

It's like talking to newbies. Your lack of what this stuff can do is frightening. C'mon, get involved in the real world!!!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-01-15 20:30, nikstokes wrote:
Is there any good resources that speak of waking hypnosis? I'd love to learn more about that as well.

Nik, go find a good Hypnosis Course. It will give you more than you need and teach you to be safe.

And you get a mentor as well, hopefully... Smile

That is THE BEST ADVICE I EVER GOT on Hypnosis.

I really hope you do.

Ok buddy, all the best.

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2011-01-15 20:36, bobser wrote:
Hey Reg, way to go. Loved the clip. And no doubt bubble has done similar stuff.

Y'see this is what learning is all about. Reg has proved that just because he does stage doesn't mean he can't develop even greater skills.

Why can't some people simply take in basic information? It's like arguing with Statler and Waldorf up there in the balcony.

You say not to lie to the kid or lead him on. That's condescending towards him at best. If your not careful 'the kid' is going to know a lot more than you could ever have even imagined in a few short months!

It's like talking to newbies. Your lack of what this stuff can do is frightening. C'mon, get involved in the real world!!!

Your complete self delusion is what is frightening Bobser. Your belief in claptrap and what you want others to beleive is frightening. You ambush hypnotists need your own section. It should be called fantasyland hypnosis.

Do you notice how this is a story an antecdotal story and not proof Bobser? Oh lord this is what you are so excited about and tell me to get involved in the real world? Seems as if we are. Join us, but first you have to give up your Jedi mind powers you think you have.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Whats possible with hypnosis (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL