We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Animal Puppet Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
In a different thread, Roger, of christianmagician.org, asked for workable routines for the "Woof-Woof" dog puppet from David Ginn. I thought it would be helpful to have this as a new or separate topic, so here goes.
One of the routines I use with this particular puppet is a variation of David Ginn's "Easter Egg Count". Instead of Easter eggs, I use bones and use only one helper instead of two. I structure the routine so that the 'volunteer' ends up with the bones and the dog puppet (Carlisle in my case) ends up being a good neighbor by 'sharing' what he has.
On a seperate note, I highly recommend buying the dog DVD from David. My personal favorite is the balloon bit. The information on the DVD is very very helpful. Once I saw David lecture/demo/perform this in person I was sold.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I ordered the DVD (my second one- I lost the original one I got with the purchased dog from David's Grand Rapids lecture several years ago) from David Ginn earlier this week- I believe he sent it before he left for Hawaii (he mentioned his wife had just gotten a cold in snowy Atlanta- bummer). So I might have the DVD by tomorrow. The "Woof" dog is really, really neat looking- although not as large as the puppy gracing the cover of this months' "Voice of The FCM" magazine- now THAT is a very BIG dog! (I think I still might have some "Big Dog" underwear around someplace- is that still being sold in Myrtle Beach?). A picture of David and his "Woof" dog is also in this month's The Linking Ring magazine under the Ring 211 lecture report.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
I have used the Dog in some of my Gospel Shows, but I primarily use it for the younger children secular shows. However, I like the idea shared above, and just to echo what has been said, this is a prop that lends itself to a wonderful 5 to 10 minutes of hilarious comedy with children and can also certainly be adapted to convey a biblical message.

I consider this one of the best "magic investments" I made in 2010.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Kif Anderson
View Profile
FCM forum Staff
1961 - 2012
386 Posts

Profile of Kif Anderson
Be sure to check out http://www.axtell.com/axtrax.html where you can find some fun pre-recorded puppet voice routines. Steve Axtell generously lets you read through the scripts so you have an idea what they are about. Lots of great ideas for puppets.

I think the David Ginn dog looks great, and is a great start for working with a puppet in a show. Adding "characters" to one's show is wonderful. We (Oz and Wilde) are working on adding more to our show. Currently we have a Axtell's remote control drawing board and are about to add the Ostrich puppet (the ultimate plays big but doesn't pack small) prop.

Also, the rabbit in the hat puppet, and check out the book Realm of the Rabbit by Douglas L. Wathen for ideas.

Of course...if you have the money...the best are Axtell's Animatronic creations http://www.axtell.com/remote.html...but we haven't gotten one of those for ourselves yet...maybe someday. $7500-$10,000 is a quite steep...but for a working professional...that can get the use out of it...it would be a good investment. (Oz and Wilde are waiting for another character to be created...then we will hopefully figure out how to afford it).

Great thread Phill...

><> J
Kif
We are not cisterns made for hoarding, we are channels made for sharing. - Billy Graham
<BR>
<BR>Sharing the gospel with Comedy & Illusion www.ozandwilde.com
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
More puppetry ramblings: I really like the Ginn "Woof Woof" dog and the blindfold and the "bone" and other cards that come with it. The dog looks GREAT, is big and shaggy, and is reasonably priced.

However, if you are looking to find a complete sidesplitting "dog" routine for all ages on that DVD (the one that comes with the dog), particularly one that older children may enjoy, you will need to go elsewhere and/or develop your own patter or use other related sources (like Dave Risley's hand puppetry DVD).

The material on the Woof Woof Ginn DVD I would say is more geared for very young children. I did however think that the multiplying sponge ball move from the dog's mouth on the DVD does have appeal for older children, as do the change bag ideas. I believe you can purchase the Ginn DVD free with the cards and blindfold anyway, or you can get all of this included as part of the complete package when purchasing the dog directly from Mr. Ginn (which is what I would recommend).

But if you already have an animal puppet or rabbit from hat that you intend to use, and usually have an audience made up of older children, the Ginn "Woof Woof" DVD as a sole stand alone purchase (without the dog puppet, or the blindfold and the special bone, apple, egg, etc. cards) probably would be of limited value to you. I am planning to use the perfectly fitted Ginn provided blindfold and cards for anytime I have a program before very young children (preschool age)- can't wait to try it out someday.

David Ginn I've found reacts very quickly and personally to any order placed with him which I also appreciated. It drives me goofy when I place an order with some dealers: First comes the inevitable note two weeks later that the trick is "backordered" (even though the ad for that product was in a current magic magazine), then secondly the product arrives a month later without even making use of priority mail. Ugh! I have found that Denny of Denny and Lee's Magic is usually very fast- not to mention if you call there Denny himself usually picks up the phone virtually day or night.
paulbrown0833
View Profile
New user
USA
26 Posts

Profile of paulbrown0833
Thanks for the good tips on these resources. I will have to check out David Ginn's DVD and look for Dave Risely.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
647 Posts

Profile of revmike
I have used the basic Ginn/DVD routine with balloon, sponge ball and the cards, blindfold, etc with some of my own dialogue and it has worked well even for 5th & 6th grade. There is so much comedy in the routine, it really does work for well above pre-school level when presented in fun comedic way. I have just as much fun as the kids do. As I said previously, I just think this is one of the best props I ever invested in for working with children from preschool thru 5th to 6th grade.

However, admittedly, would not go above with that age with the Dog, but will with some of the other puppets I have, particularly in the Gospel work. Tomorrow in church, Sebastian, my Axtell Snake will make his debut. It is Scout Sunday, and he is going to be very useful to the Children's Message but I think my adults will get a lot out of it.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Animal Puppet Routines (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL