The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Darwin Ortiz - Nothing but the best (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
tegib
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of tegib
Has anyone seen this.It is a new dvd from L&L publishing.Here is what L&L says about this.
In this landmark DVD series, Darwin performs the most stunning effects from his legendary repertoire – all newly shot in stunning digital clarity – for a very enthusiastic audience. You’ll first see Darwin perform a complete show (a lesson in itself on how to routine card magic to create an immersive and entertaining experience!) Then, after the show is over and the audience has gone home, Darwin teaches his diabolical methods in meticulous detail so that you can add these amazing effects to your own repertoire. What’s more, you’ll also be treated to some of Darwin’s theories on magic and its performance – sage words from one of its most thoughtful practitioners.

Darwin Ortiz had a very simple goal with this DVD set, one you’ll most certainly agree that he’s achieved – nothing but the best!
http://www.llpub.com/
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5777 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It was great to see some of his more recent routines come to life, and see the powerful little tweaks in some of his routines I have seen him do before. If you like strong card magic, you will love these DVDs.
tegib
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of tegib
To me hearing Darwin talk about magic is an inspiration by itself.Could you please write the list of the effects that Darwin performs
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
It's all right there on L&L's site:

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2757

You just had to click through from the home page.

Demo video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17pbR-FeW......embedded
ekins
View Profile
Elite user
Portland, Oregon
419 Posts

Profile of ekins
I'm especially interested in the theory discussions. Does anyone know how long those are and can comment on how good they are?

-Brian
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
It looks like L&L is offering a pre-release special, so it's not out yet.
tegib
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of tegib
The contents looks awesome.Stuff like The Ultimate card shark,blind aces has never been explained before on video.Theory section looks like it is going to be great.Overall looks like a great DVD set
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Whilst I am an enourmas fan of Ortiz and his work, I can't help but feel that if you own the 10 DVD set (as I do) you already have the majority of the material. The only thing you're missing out on are the tweaks and Darwin's theory lessons.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5864 Posts

Profile of motown
Considering much of this material had be shot on tape, it'll be nice to see it in a higher quality digital format.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Clicked on the demo video. D@mn it, I wished I hadn't. It turns out Janel is married...
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5864 Posts

Profile of motown
At least those two over top guys weren't in the audience.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
SmittyWitty
View Profile
Loyal user
Fairhaven, MA
270 Posts

Profile of SmittyWitty
Anything Darwin puts out (DVD or books) is great in my opinion. I'll probably end up buying this set.
tegib
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of tegib
SmittyWitty,

I agree with everything you have said
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2011-01-17 06:46, Chappo wrote:
Whilst I am an enourmas fan of Ortiz and his work, I can't help but feel that if you own the 10 DVD set (as I do) you already have the majority of the material. The only thing you're missing out on are the tweaks and Darwin's theory lessons.

Ditto
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
883 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Quote:
On 2011-01-17 15:48, motown wrote:
Considering much of this material had be shot on tape, it'll be nice to see it in a higher quality digital format.

Not sure how Avatar filming improves the material. I have everything Darwin has released, and with Designing Miracles and Strong Magic I am not sure how much value there is left. Sure Blind Aces isn't explained, but if you have the book, you can easily use the performance as a foundation if you have issues.

Don't get me wrong, I like Darwin, but just as I was disappointed with Mike Close's last set (a rehash of Closely Guarded Secrets IMHO, which had video), I don't know how to feel about this new release. Hope it is great and everyone finds value.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5864 Posts

Profile of motown
Scott,

I understand where you're coming from.

I've found that many magic videos shot on tape and later transferred to a digital format didn't look very crisp.
For someone who already has all of Darwin's DVDs this new set may not have any value. For myself and others
who don't have all the DVDs, it'll have more value. And for me, this includes the picture quality. As our TV's
have gotten better, they tend to show more flaws in the videos shot on tape.
– Karl Germain
rnaviaux
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of rnaviaux
I'll be getting it as soon as it is available. Will post a review then. Since I have all of Darwin's material I'll be sure to mention any added value one gets from having this latest offering.
asherfox
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of asherfox
Darwin showed many great trick during his lecture.
Isn't those material enough for a new DVD set?
I wonder wt L&L is thinking. Cant They buy those new items from Mr. Ortiz?
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1051 Posts

Profile of John Carey
I think Darwin has other plans for that material sir.

Johna
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
483 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2011-01-16 22:47, ekins wrote:
I'm especially interested in the theory discussions. Does anyone know how long those are and can comment on how good they are?

-Brian

Although I haven’t timed it, I would estimate that there is about twenty minutes of theory discussion on each DVD. For the most part I tried to cover topics and make points that I consider important but which are different from what I covered in Strong Magic and Designing Miracles.

As some have pointed out, most of the effects in this set have appeared on earlier DVDs. The performances on this set include numerous new touches and improvements. Do those improvements justify a new purchase? I can’t answer that question for you. I know that every one of the changes I’ve made has resulted in stronger audience reactions. I think that, to someone who is actually performing these routines, the changes recorded here will be worthwhile. Anyone who only has an intellectual interest in the material may not think that the changes amount to much.

At the same time, not every effect on these DVDs contains handling improvements. In my view, the primary value of these new DVDs is not the handling changes but the performances. These new DVDs record how I perform today. The earlier DVDs covering the same material date back fifteen to twenty years. (The Scams & Fantasies DVDs are more recent and are a fair representation of my work today. However, Nothing But the Best does not contain any overlap with that set.)

Furthermore, the earlier DVDs were, for the most part, recorded in front of magician audiences. For this shoot, Louis Falanga went to the trouble of recruiting an all-layman audience, all but three of whom had never been in an L&L audience before. (The three exceptions were Janel and Front-Row Frank, both of whom have too many fans to exclude, and Louis’ charming fiancée who has an all-access pass.) This provided me the opportunity to show how I sell these effects to laypeople, how I perform and present them today, and how they play for lay audiences.

I want to thank Louis Falanga for his extraordinary efforts in doing everything possible to make this DVD set as good as it could be. This is the first time I’ve worked with L&L and I was struck by their professionalism and commitment to excellence.

I can tell you that I’m very proud of the resulting product. I hope that the above information will help each of you decide whether this set would be a worthwhile purchase for you personally.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Darwin Ortiz - Nothing but the best (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL