The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Funny Money by Brad Ross (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Hey Folks,

I just wanted you to know that I purchased a brand new never used funny money from a great Café member and when I went to print them out on Brad's site he refused to print them. He said since I bought it from another person it is an illegal version and he will not print and I cannot use it either.

I'm very dissapointed in his response and unwillingness to work with me. He would have made some big bucks from me down the road. Oh well..,

Your forewarned.

Mike Smile
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Yikes.

Steve
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1146 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Dispite the fact he says he'd customize them for $35? Wow!
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Yup. Despite the fact he copied them (pressumably with permission) from another creators work. I bought it and was giving him the business for printing them. I'm truly dissapointed. plus I'd probably buy some of his other stuff.
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1146 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
I'll customize em for ya Smile
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Thanks! I have them all made up and ready to print. He won't let me! I was ready to order over a 1,000 of these.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Maybe the original product has a non-transferable license. (That's to prevent the first / original owner from making copies of the master copy, and selling them to other entertainers to reproduce. Or making copies to keep for themself, and selling off the original.)

David (EventEntertainer) and I once had to transfer a license on a product, and I was grateful that I was able to get permission from the creator. He didn't have to do that because the wording on the license said it was non-transferable. Some product creators don't want to transfer the license, especially when asked after the fact.

Several info products and clip art pieces have licenses, with conditions on them (like one owner only).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Thanks for the input Donald. I do understand that and if we both knew this I would not have bought it nor would I have asked him to print them. Most would try and work with you. Brad said buy it from me and I'll print and you can use them. To me poor customer service and a person I wouldn't want to work with in the future.

Just my two cents. AND I don't complain, ever. Smile

Mike Smile
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1146 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
There is no disclaimer in the ad to my knowledge. Most liscences and conditions should be listed upfront.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7443 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I agree that the condition of a license should be stated up front, and not hidden or discovered after you bought the product. But I've seen some that were hidden or discovered after you bought the product. I think that sometimes the creators just assume people are going to use it, and not re-sell it, and don't make a fuss about the license up front. Or they assume most people know about licenses. They also know that it might kill some sales.

Is there a license agreement in the files on the disk, or at the checkout? The original purchaser would have been exposed to both of those.

BTW, there are lots of people who don't read the license they agree to. For example, I've seen lots of people post on the Café, ignoring things in the membership rules. It's because they didn't read them. They just ticked the box and pressed forward.

So, it can be both the creator's or the consumer's fault.

- Donald

P.S. I bought a DVD set from Brad Ross at one time. After getting it, there was a piece of paper that stated that the DVDs were all wrapped. If I broke a seal to watch even a single DVD, I couldn't return it for a refund. (I think exchanges were allowed for defective products.) It didn't say that on his website up front. But I was ok with that condition, because it's normal for DVDs. And of course, some comment about not copying the DVDs (duh!). I don't remember if that product has a non-transferrable license.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Hey,

David is correct. I checked the manual and his advertisement in his site and nowhere does he mention a license.

Check it out.

http://www.makemagicmoney.com/dollarbill.htm

Mike
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Ps- based on no license, I see, it looks like I can print these up elsewhere, yippee. Does anyone know a good printing company?
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1146 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
Not Brad Ross...
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Express Printing, Jackson, Mississippi. Ask for John. Tell him Steve Thomas sent ya. He's a magician, as well, and knows exactly what you're looking for.

Steve
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Good old Brad said he will draft a letter from his lawyer if I "pursue using the illegal copy."

I'll stick with Michael Messings as it's his creation anyway. I'll just add my own color like Brad

Unbelievable. He would have made $200 from me today just to print them.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1357 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I like these better:

and you can get them here:

http://www.photobucks.com/

Right now 1000 are just $179.
(I am not affiliated with this company other than a repeat costomer)

People will put these in their wallets and hold on to them for years. I have people show them to me years later. My banker has one on the wall behind her desk and asked for more to give to clients. All the local stores I do business with have them and ask for more. These are the size of a real $. And the color and texture are professional. People will not tend to keep a large oversize bill, they will toss it out like a flier. You can do money tricks with them and give them away. Not as obtrusive as giving away a business card, which will probably also be thrown away.

I also put some in my mail outs last year and teachers put them on bulletin boards in schools and daycares.

ACE
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
And Mr Ross' was the $100 setup? I was perfectly happy with that great $12 setup sold a bit ago on the Café.

If there was no contract constrictions on the buy in, there's none after the buy in. You cannot unilaterally add your own wants to a contract that has been signed, nor (as in a purchase) add constrictions where none were before.

ASK for that lawyer letter...it'll cost him $100 to have it drawn up, and, of course, it's useless. What, he's gonna sue you over intellectual infringement? That'll cost him $60,000 to start, and he'll lose.

Turn it into a Bluff-Slamdown. Life's too short not to have fun with things like this.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Davidicus
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1146 Posts

Profile of Davidicus
I wholeheartedly agree with Tom. I would ask for a letter as well.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Lol. I have asked for the letter. We'll see. Smile
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
I bought the $12 set up as well and loved it. I like having some color ao bought a never used one on the Café. Had them custom made up by a great guy and sent them to Brad to be printed. The funny thing is he would have made more money from me just through printing alone. I have a ton of stuff I was sending him. I simply do not get it.

Well, I requested the letter. I'm sire he'll deliver but at least he'll update his site and advertising (I hope) to inform people of this restriction. For the record, I'm fine with the restrictions just doesn't seem to exist and I obviously did not know as I was going to him for more business.

His loss I guess.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Funny Money by Brad Ross (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL