The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Help with Doves to Bunny (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Folks, I just purchased a nice Doves to Bunny effect from Dave Scribner because I couldn't resist the price. And I've been looking at various production effects to produce a live animal, though I don't want to get involved with all that's involved with maintaining the critters necessary for working with animals. I just want something to add to my kid's shows because folks always ask, do you produce a rabbit or bird? So, I'm a work in progress.

Doves are out of the question for me, I just can't raise/keep and care for them. So on the doves part of the effect, I'm wondering if you can point me to a dove prop(s) that I could perch it/them in the box, explaining that I'm too cheap to buy real birds and animals for magic, and so, you'll have to accept that you must pretend they are real....blah blah blah......I haven't worked it out yet, but I think you get the idea. On the other hand, maybe there's a dove prop out there that could look real in the box, maybe wing flapping or something, that would pass for a live dove. I don't know. That's why I'm here.

Then, I want to do the magic and actually produce a "real" furry critter, say a hamster, or guinea pig, or something, that I COULD live with and maintain for these purposes, and actually enjoy as a pet at the same time. Producing the real thing from the fakes make's it easier for me to add an animal production to my act.

I've heard of Nielsen's latex dove, but I don't know what it is or its function. There have been other posts here about different kinds of toy doves that can double as real ones in the right situation. But the reviews haven't been that favorable. So if anyone has any ideas on how I might make this work, I'd appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help you might provide. Best, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bob, most dealers sell a rubber dove. Nielson's is the best. It looks most like a real dove. They are complete except for feet which noone sees anyway. With a little care, you can use a strong thread or line to attach them to the perch. You could glue them to the perch but that is rather permanent. The flapping wing dove, which Dan Sperry talks about in this forum wouldn't work as there isn't enough room in the box for flapping wings.
Where the magic begins
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks Dave! I'm kinda thinking the Nielsen dove is the way to go too; just have to figure out a way to perch it/them....once again, if I explain they're fake right up front, they won't be expected to move....No mail today....hoping tomorrow!!! Thanks! Bob

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Yup, no mail today and a storm brewing for tomorrow. I'll try to ship tomorrow but most likely Wednesday.
Where the magic begins
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Try this my friend, thruout your show produce white silks, say three or four, as you produce them, drape them over the perch,( this would mean you would need to raise the perch on string a bit higher so the silks don't drape to far into the base) perhaps a double wrap around the perch. once you get 3 or 4, then change them into the critter of choice, white silks is white rabbit. or if you have a brown bunny or ferrit etc. just wrap silks of the same color as the final appearance. .... have fun.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Hey Chris, cool idea. I never thought of that.
Where the magic begins
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Use 18 inch silks and tie each of them onto the perch. The knot takes up the slack so they do not hang too low and keep them on the perch when the action takes place. The transformation is a stuffed animal or bunny that is given away. After Easter you can get the stuffed rabbits for almost 1/2 price at your larger stores. No feeding needed.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Years ago I did a series of TV commercials using a balloon in place of the rabbit. Due to a ribbon taped to the table top, the balloon rose to a point and stopped. The TV produces used the character generator to produce the message onto the balloon in the ads.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Bob, I love that I idea!
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan, thank you sir! (Will I see you at Magi-Whirl?)

Bob1Dog, I saw pictures of the prop you got from Dave. NICE!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Produce a long stream from a white mouth coil. Place the debris inside of the cage as if it is a trash container. Next, produce the rabbit.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2011-02-05 08:53, Bob Sanders wrote:
Regan, thank you sir! (Will I see you at Magi-Whirl?)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Bob, no I won't be there. Will you? Are you lecturing?
Mister Mystery
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Chris, Bob and Dynamike,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to y'all for your great thoughts on this effect;

I've been tending to a death in my family and am only now getting back to life as usual.

You have offered some wonderful thoughts here, and yes Bob Sanders, Dave's prop is beautiful! And thanks to y'all I have lots of things to play around with. I can't thank you enough friends. Best, Bob

tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Bob, Sorry to hear about your loss in the family, wish you the best.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks for your kindness Chris. Best, bob

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Help with Doves to Bunny (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL