The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » One handed second card from the top Top palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Phew what a mouthful It can be done but the question is WHY. Always thinking of an effect it may be useful for.Any ideas I do have one utility idea for it Has it been done by others.Could I have originated it...methinks not, but if so I'll call it the 'Impossible Palm' Or maybe not
James James
MNTV
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Several years ago I was watching Landon Swank dealing stud strike seconds and it occurred to me that it might be fairly easy and deceptive to strike-second a card with your pinkie - and simultaneously palm it - while doing a stud turnover of the top card. Turns out it is pretty easy, and I found a handy use for it in my AC routine.

After I showed Swank what I'd come up with he mastered it in minutes - being the incredibly skilled card guy that he is - and then started working on a one-handed version. He got that down pat over a few months, but I never really could master it - primarily because my hands are too dry and... oh yeah, I'm not really that dedicated to card work.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Landon Swank, I'll do a google and see if I can find his work. I showed it to Eric Evans and Flip at a street festival last year in Germany Eric quite rightly said it wasn't a real one handed sleight as the take away of the deck with the other hand negated it being truly one handed.Something you have to see as a written explanation of it does not fully describe it. Eric was right though . I suppose you could replace the chosen card in the middle ( tilt move) then second card palm it off then do what your going to do with it. Wallet, Pegasus fold, to pocket, or pil box.. May come in useful sometime
James James

Oh just bought' Ishkabible' from theory 11 a card sandwich effect as a download. Going to review the whole download to performane experience for MNTV in two weeks time. Should be interesting.

Thomas, what's the AC routine, that's if you can say here. Thanks JJ
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 06:46, vernon wrote:
[..]

Thomas, what's the AC routine, that's if you can say here. Thanks JJ

Oh, the move is just one I use in a modular AC series. Essentially the chosen card is shown to have "risen" to the top of the the deck (via the previous sequence) by doing a stud turnover. In the process of that turnover the pinkie-strike-second-to-palm move puts an X card into a slightly forward palm position. The selection is then turned face-down and simultaneously dragged off the deck with my middle finger. At least that's what it looks like - in reality, the palmed card is loaded as it appears I'm dragging the "top card" off with my middle finger. The original selection stays on top and the X card is openly pushed into the center of the deck (masquerading as the selection, of course).

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8496 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I teach my Second-Card Palm in APOCALYPSE - May, 1990 issue - almost a quarter century ago!! HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Hi Harry, sheesh, just goes to show, over a decade ago...and Thomas I see what you mean AC... Ambitious Card Do

I feel like a klutz. I had designs on working it as a 'palm expose' ' Showing the mechanics of a one handed top palm ( after drawing attention to the second card down) Then illuminating on the one handed bottom palm ( from Larry Jennings take on it), then going through th motions again and whist taking the deck in the left hand to show the bottom palm, palm off the second card down. Then load it, fold it, or whatever it concludes with Only for magicians though. Just one of those things I play with for my own edification. As you say Harry, over a decade ago...is there any info on who may have originated it, thanks
James James
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6756 Posts

Profile of magicfish
He didn't say a decade ago. He said almost a quarter century ago. You can see a a couple routines using Loraynes move in Fechter by Mentzer.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3252 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
May 1990 is both "almost a quarter of a century ago" and "over a decade ago".
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Thanks Presto,
Over a decade ago is right But my fail, as I was in the car unloading for a gig on my iPhone and was a bit 'rushing'
Anyway I'll try and look up the references. Just never seen or heard if it before So now I know I didn't 'originate it' I mean what's left to be originated....
Thanks for the support though.
James James
http://www.magicnewstelevision.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » One handed second card from the top Top palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL