The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Excuse me sir, but did you leave a popsicle stick in my shell? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Hmmm.

Just recently purchased a set of vintage rubber multiplying billiard balls on the big auction site as part of my seemingly never ending quest to own every type of such balls ever made.

I know, I know. I'm sick. I'm sooo sick. Maybe I should make a web museum.

Anyway, the balls arrived and they are truly cool. Four big red balls and two shells, one red and one white.

Just one thing though.

The has a piece of Popsicle stick glued inside. white shell

Er, uh, what does this mean?

I'm sure it has a function...but what?

My knee jerk reaction is to extricate the offending bit of wood with my dremel tool or whatever works. Steady hands are called for here to be sure.

But, admitting the possibility that I don't know or fully grasp all there is to know about billiard balls (of the magical persuasion that is) perhaps I should hold off until greater minds than my own can chime in.

So what say you?

To extricate or not to extricate? That is the question?

P.S.: Can anyone identify these balls? Ireland Magic Company??
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1424 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Ask Levent.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You did not say if the stick looked like it was a finished piece and rounded off, and how much of the stick is sticking out from the inside wall.

If the stick is finished and is only an 1/16th or so,put a ball in the shell and see how it fits. If the ball fits perfectly, I would say it is a spacer so the ball can be manipulated out of the shell. If is not and just a stick sticking out, then it was part of the dipping and drying process, and was a sloppy manufacturing process. If you purchased it from an auction, why not contact the person you purchased it from. They should not claim ignorance as they are the seller.

I would return the shell for replacement from the seller. As now, if you remove it, you will have a defect on the inside of the shell. If you can live with that, that is your decision.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
That's weird. From the position, it looks like it might be an aid to the 'finger grip', allowing the popsicle stick to be gripped between the index and second fingers, or by the thumb, in order to covertly retain the shell in the palm, or back palm.
The fact that it's the white shell points toward use in a color change.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Oh, I missed the picture reference. Makes no sense to me why that stick would be there. The set looks old and used, maybe the previous owner had a purpose for the stick in that position.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2011-01-19 06:19, wmhegbli wrote:
Oh, I missed the picture reference. Makes no sense to me why that stick would be there. The set looks old and used, maybe the previous owner had a purpose for the stick in that position.

I agree. I've never seen this either but my first impression was that the original owner modified the shell for use in his routine. Since you purchased it on the big site, the seller may not have been the original owner but it's worth a shot to try and contact him.
Where the magic begins
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
As one who doesn't work with shells, what would be the harm if he took it out? Is that something that is normally found in a shell? Seems it's easy enough to remove it and move on if it's not normally a part of the gimmick.

Mark.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Quote:
On 2011-01-18 23:30, Mac_Stone wrote:
Ask Levent.

Mr Levent and I are no longer on speaking terms since the unfortunate incident in Tangier.
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
That's a modification that some people did in the 1930s. It was done so that you could back palm the shell!

The only problem I had in Tangier Morocco was with a cab driver in 1995 (I'm not kidding).

Best regards,
Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
Just for that I'm gonna buy your DVD.

So there!
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Well, Levent beat me to it. Just as well, as I wouldn't have known about the date. Given the facts, I'd recommend leaving the "offending bit of wood".
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Strikes me, that if you had both shells on one ball, it would be a way to get the white one off. I think it is a locking tool.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
MattWMagic
View Profile
New user
Issaquah, WA
23 Posts

Profile of MattWMagic
Id just take it off
Phil Tawa
View Profile
Regular user
Mass.
103 Posts

Profile of Phil Tawa
I'd say it's an aid for finger clipping or back to front palm moves etc. now that I've seen the picture you posted.
I have an old set of wooden balls with a little sponge glued to the inside center of the shell.
The reason it's there is to stop the balls from talking when slipped into the shell.
So if anyone has a noisy set try that. Just a little square piece in the center of shell. I hope maybe this little bit of Info. has helped some of you out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Excuse me sir, but did you leave a popsicle stick in my shell? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL