The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Newswire by Dodd Vickers » » Pendragon Auction Completed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Both storage units containing the items which once belonged to the Pendragons were sold yesterday in an auction attended by more than 150 people: http://bit.ly/huUKp2
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Yea, but WHAT was inside the ATA Cases???

Enquiring minds want to know!
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
890 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
That would've been an interesting episode of the show, "Storage Wars".
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
OK, here's a report from the auction...

I flew all the way from Cincinnati to California for this auction. Yeah, I know, that's crazy- not only are you rolling the dice on who might be there with a big bankroll, but there was also the chance that Charlotte might still show up and pay off the back-rent just before the auction begins (something she could legally do). And- the cases were known to be mostly empty, but that was fine for me. I know what cases cost, and if I were the winning bidder, it would be totally worth the trip. Plus, I was sure there would be a load of otherwise cool things in there, such as Pendragons posters, etc. I found a way to fly for next to nothing. And, as a bonus, it got me into a warmer climate for a few days!

I showed up for the auction roughly 30 minutes ahead of time. I was happy to see that I was one of only about ten people there. However, in the next short span of time, the masses arrived. I only met one other magician, a local who had come out to see the action. There were a fair amount of gawkers who had seen the story on the news. The media has since reported that there were about 150 people present, but my pictures say more like 300.

As the auction began, they started with several other units. I saw this as a good thing because hopefully people would spend their money elsewhere. The 2 Pendragons units were auctioned 6th and 7th. Well, long story short, I was quickly outbid. The larger unit, the one shown in the news video, went for $3700. The second unit, which was mostly vacant, went for only $350. That unit consisted of 2 cases and a third partial one, and one of the two complete cases was damaged. So, on to plan B after the entire auction was over. I spoke with the man who had won the larger unit and made him an offer on just the cases. He didn't accept what I was willing to spend, but after lots of talking, we finally reached an agreement and I bought three HUGE cases for a steal.

Here's the neat part, though- by making this arrangement, I got to see the inside of the space up close and hands-on. It's true, the cases were "mostly" empty. But, there were all sorts of bits and pieces of illusions there. There were several illusion bottoms (tables with wheels but not true "bases"), three swords, two wooden crates in the back (and I didn't get to see inside those), tons of plastic storage containers (it was really neat to hold the one that said "Pendragons sands") and a huge load of the typical non-magic stuff that you'd expect to find- clothing, books, that kind of thing. The snow animator stool was completely gutted- just a shell was left. Inside the nearly vacant unit, the one large case did contain some illusion parts. It appeared to be what was left of an "Artist's dream" or something similar. It was way to small to fit in that huge case, so I'm certain it had been put there as an afterthought. Against the rear wall, there was a true "base", about six feet long, but it was missing it's legs and whatever was supposed to camoflauge the extra thickness on the bottom- not usable in it's current state. There was what appeared to be a big black backdrop, and it was made to light up, sort of like a fiber-optic curtain, except this one was made with Christmas lights.

So, I came away with three gigantic cases for a great price and I'll be using them to transport my illusions, so if Jonathan or Charlotte is reading this, please know that these three went to a good home. What bothers me, though, is that the folks who won the units are not magicians and therefore will likely discard all the rest of that history. It was so cool to actually see and hold that stuff, knowing whose it was. But now, most likely, Charlotte's books will end up in a second hand store somewhere and the plastic bins will be tossed out. To those folks, it's just more "stuff". It's a shame! Still, at least one magician will continue to use 3 cases for their original purpose.

Phil
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2011-01-21 18:10, freefallillusion1 wrote:
OK, here's a report from the auction...

What bothers me, though, is that the folks who won the units are not magicians and therefore will likely discard all the rest of that history. It was so cool to actually see and hold that stuff, knowing whose it was. But now, most likely, Charlotte's books will end up in a second hand store somewhere and the plastic bins will be tossed out. To those folks, it's just more "stuff". It's a shame! ***

Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm confused. If the successful buyer was not a magician and was likely just going to toss the "magic-related" stuff, why was he unwilling (or why were you unable) to include those valueless (to him) items in the sale he made to you? What a shame for magic and magic history that you were not able to acquire such items.

No criticism intended; just curious about the missed opportunity.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Wow!

Thanks so very much for the report, Phil!

Congrats on your new cases!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:

Hi Phil,

I'm confused. If the successful buyer was not a magician and was likely just going to toss the "magic-related" stuff, why was he unwilling (or why were you unable) to include those valueless (to him) items in the sale he made to you? What a shame for magic and magic history that you were not able to acquire such items.

No criticism intended; just curious about the missed opportunity.

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I tried my best to get as much as I could but... This guy was an individual who had a warehouse in southern California and what he does for a living is buy storage units and sell everything that he can. So, in this case, he wouldn't let go of anything. I told him that if there was anything, anything at all, that would be garbage to him, that it would mean something to me as a collector. But, he viewed every scrap as a potential sale. Now, after he's had time to look through it all, I'm sure he'll realize that he can't do anything with the plastic tubs that say Pendragon, but on Wednesday, there was nothing that was going to leave that space without money changing hands. He did sell a couple of items to some other folks but he was reluctant to do even that. He wanted all those other people gone before he would deal with me on the cases. As for the three cases that I did get, I had to do some serious bargaining and at one point I actually walked away. That's finally what it took for him to come down to my terms on price. In an effort to loosen the guy up, I showed him a trick and I used a sparkly cloth as a close-up pad- it would have been great if he'd given me even just that cloth. But, it wasn't going to happen. It would have been great to use something in my act that belonged to the Pendragons! Oh well, I can settle for cases that have stickers from all over the world!

Phil
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1947 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
Phil was kind enough to offer a new version of his report from the auction for the Magic Newswire and you can find it here: http://bit.ly/fJtAcU
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2011-01-21 22:44, freefallillusion1 wrote:

Hi Mike,

I tried my best to get as much as I could but...***

Phil

Phil,

Thanks for the further explanation. It was much appreciated. While I understand the seller's position (and his absolute right to do as he did), it is indeed unfortunate that he was soooo reluctant to "let go" of pieces that were intrinsically valueless (or of limited monetary value) except for their perceived historical significance.

Kudos to you for your efforts on behalf of the magic community and for your success in actually being able to acquire the pieces that you finally were able to buy.

Best,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
What a story! Maybe you can put pictures of your cases on so they can be shared?
Rick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Newswire by Dodd Vickers » » Pendragon Auction Completed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL