The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Zen Master (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
So, I've been performing Darwin Ortiz's "Zen Master" for a bit now.

Wow. It is mind-numbing to a lay audience and even to some magicians who aren't familiar with it or memorized deck work in general.

I found a little touch that's really nice for phase two of the routine. Let's assume that the number you need to announce is 27. What I do is deliberately miss by 5-7 cards, In other words, I'll announce 21. When it becomes apparent that I missed, I'll "refocus" and wave the hands over the deck in deep concentration and then say "6" but do so as if I'm still a little apprehensive.

I find this really helps sell the ending that follows because the audience is now a little more concerned regarding the outcome, especially considering the conditions that exist in that final phase of the effect.

I have found that it really strengthens the response at the conclusion of the routine, whereas in the original handling you would often get stunned silence, which is not what you always want if this is the closer for your close-up act.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the final phase of this effect is the EXACT same effect as Ben Harris's "X-Ray" but without any gimmicks, outs, or fear of failure?

Anyways, I LOVE this routine and would love to hear the thoughts of others on this routine - particularly from those who perform it regularly.

Cheers.
Michael J
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
334 Posts

Profile of Michael J
Hi J Warrens,

Thank you very much for your excellent tip, much appreciated. I'll certainly try this out.

I've been using Zen Master for the last few years. I was put on to it by Michael Vincent.

I find that it is a very strong effect that certainly entertains people.

All the best

Michael J
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Hi Michael. Thanks for the reply!

It's just a small touch, but it's those "touches" that provide the greatest impact.

Cheers!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Zen Master (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL