The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Figure Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Hello All,
I Just received my figure and now have to get a table to sit him on during the routine.

What types of tables are being used and what should I look for in a good steady adjustable height table?
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Check out my thread about the second runner up. Partway down, dated Jan 19, Steve at the Dummy Shoppe gives some good sites.

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Since I have 33 views and only one comment, I thought I’d post this

So, I was performing a GOOGLE search on tables and came up with a patient for a “Ventriloquist apparatus” and thought I’d post the link here for your comments.

(I have way too much time on my hands)

http://ip.com/patent/US4971313
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I didn't comment since Phillip had directed you to the other thread where I wrote this;
Quote:
On 2011-01-19 16:27, blueshawk1 wrote:
You can also make your own with a mic stand, a square piece of wood, some black material and some gold fringe.
The tricky part is getting the flange that would screw onto the mic stand that you would screw the board onto.
I made mine years ago, and as I recall, the flange wasn't readily accessible, I believe I got the flange from Florida Magic.

Although I have since checked and I see the flanges are still available at Florida Magic;
http://floridamagic.bizhosting.com/flange_4.html
And a mic stand gives you the adjustable height and there's different ones to choose from, the old cast iron base, folding leg ones, etc.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I thought it would help to move Steve's advice to this thread:
Quote:
On 2011-01-19 16:23, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:
Daff:
Try http://www.algoodproducts.com for the stands.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com

I will second his advice. Al makes a GREAT product. I have two of his stands and tops. They are excellent!
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Thanks Tom.
I saw Al Good’s link, the table looks very stable.

I looked at Dummy Works and I did not see a table anywhere, but I did see a block saying “coming soon” .

I am hoping that someone will post here about a table that is regal and fitting for my figure…LOL, if not maybe a table that looks or has something really different; I don’t want to have a closet full of old stands.

I saw a table on the internet that had a mouth in the table to be used as a figure, but my routine is not going in that direction.

Buzz
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Thanks for moving that here, Tom. I really didn't know how!

I got my table from a musical instrument catalogue, here:

http://www.wwbw.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&src=table

It's got a top that's a little bigger, but it's stable as the devil.

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Philip;
I like bigger, I want to place items on the table as well, like a wonder water glass that the figure can drink from.

Did you purchase the Ludwig LE1378 Trap Table And Stand or the Pearl Trap Table (24" x 18") with Single-Braced Stand, both look good and the price is better than the Al Good Table.

Buzz
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tom,
Thanks for moving it here, my ability to navigate the café is getting better every day; but I still get lost at times, this makes it easy for me to look at the information and decide.
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Just a point of clarification. The Dummy Shoppe is in no way affiliated with Dummy Works.

I recommended Al Goods performing stands because I believe they are the best in the business. We will never have a performing stand. What we have labeled "Coming Soon" are for free standing puppet display stands that we are developing. So many vents want to have several of their "friends" out on temporary/long term display that these are what we are specializing in. We have just about finished building a separate room for powder coating, and have already gotten all the equipment for powder coating, because we found early on that just painting the stands is not a long term solution to a finish. Once we finish setting up our powder coating room, we will then remove the "coming soon" banner from our site. I still have to get some 3 micron air filters etc. etc. to have that done.

Back to the discussion at hand - performing stands. I think Al Good has the best available and we have no intention of competing with the best.

Steve
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Barbara, are my eyes deceiving me, is that not a table and a basket centered behind the table in the first video that was posted on this thread?
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Sorry the last post was posted in the wrong thread

Steve, what do you think of the Pearl Trap Table (24" x 18") with Single-Braced Stand listed here by Philip?

I found the same table for $101.00 with free shipping on Amazon.com; Al’s price is $140.00, plus $20.00 shipping; that’s $60.00 cheaper and the music stand has a larger top. The tripod looks just as sturdy and Philip says it’s stable as the devil…
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
And the devil must be stable. Been around forever.

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Couple of messages for you over in that department, Buzz.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 00:22, Servante wrote:
I got my table from a musical instrument catalogue, here:

I forgot about that. There are some music stands too where the top will adjust flat, they're lightweight too usually, I had one once for my figures.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Here's pretty much what I wrote to Buzz:

Buzz, the one I bought is a Gibraltar. The top is 24 inches square.
It's as solid as it can be!
I added fringe all the way around, with velcro attachments inside the lip where they don't show, so it can serve as a side table for magic stuff, too.

http://www.wwbw.com/Gibraltar-Percussion......451.wwbw
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Philip;
Thanks for copying the PM here, it may help others.

The information on the link does not say how high the stand is.

I like the idea that it has a carpet and you attest to the stability of the stand.

I am considering this as the best stand yet for value; plus I can order it with free shipping.

I need to get a stand soon so I can practice in front of a mirror, standing with my figure in a proper position for breathing and figure movement.

This thread is a great help to me, thanks to all for taking the time to help. Please keep the ideas coming.
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Buzz:

I don't have any knowledge of the music stand having been used in that capacity. I know that if you buy something made for one purpose and modify it in any way, there is no obligation on the part of the maker to stand good on their product. On the other hand, if some of the folks do have experience and they were happy with the outcome, then I could hardly take an adversarial position.

The real test (and the one that makes me lean toward Al Good) is that I don't know the individual skills of each reader and I don't want to see anyone take a lot of time and expense in smaller amounts to try and create something that they can purchase all at once and have a "fur-shure" product. I would hate to see someone end up spending almost as much on the hopes of saving $20-$30 and end up with an item that they wish they hadn't wasted money on.

My best advice is still (again not knowing individual skill levels) buy the premade from a source that you know will stand good on it. That way the skills we do know you have (vent) can be put to use getting bookings, doing shows and counting your money - lol.

Steve
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Steve,
I am not only looking at a savings of $30.00; I am also looking at the size of the table top to suit my requirements; as I said in an earlier post I am looking for a large top.

On Al’s stand, the standard top has a 10” x 14” surface and the Magician’s Pro top has a 12"x 20" surface. The stands and tops I am looking at have an 18” X 24” and a 24” X 24” surface; in addition, Al’s table top has tassels around the edges; I own an advertising agency and have the ability to design and create a very nice sign or banner for the front of the table with whatever I want it to read, and I can change the copy anytime I want; the tassels from Al’s table would have to be removed

I could be mistaken in my viewing of Al’s video, but it looks to me like Al does not manufacture his own stands. Photography stands do not have threaded 5/8”x 27” ends, they have ¼ X 20 ends; I am assuming that the stands he uses for his tables are microphone stands.

IF my assumptions are correct, by buying a music stand, I am buying a quality microphone stand with the sturdiness equal to Al’s stand with a table size that will fit my needs for less money.

Why would I assume that the table is sturdy, I read Philip’s post, he tells me that “it's stable as the devil” I believe Philip, I have read his other posts and I greatly respect what he writes.

I am new to being a ventriloquist, I can possibly be wrong in my assumptions; If I decide to purchase a music stand and it does not fit our needs, Mine and Dan, my figure, I can always use the music stand as a side stand and purchase Al’s stand and switch table tops;

I started this thread to find the best table to fit my requirements; so far you have suggested Al’s table and Philip has suggested the music stand, both top quality stands; maybe more suggestions will be forthcoming.

This I know will fit my needs completely.

Buzz
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I checked out the link Philip provided. It "looks" as if they use the same basic stand - different top. Keep in mind, the base is basically a symbols stand. They may look the same, but there are different qualities of stands out there. Al uses the heavy duty model, then modifies them so they will open to the correct height. He adds a threaded metal fitting so the table top flange will fit.

On the WWBW site, it appears the top has a lip around it. If your figure sits with legs over the edge, that may create an issue, may not. I read the single review for the product and apparently the fiberglass top shattered during shipping. That turned me off to the product. I want something that can withstand the abuse of use and travel.

I bought a second stand from Al Good at this past conVention. We were discussing his work and he told me he had to find a new supplier for the threaded part. Apparently the company he was using switched to "White Metal". If you are not familiar with that term, it is a lighter metal and wears out fast. Using those would mean the part would need to be replaced. Al refused them. He wanted the aluminum that would stand up to constant use.

Al isn't getting rich selling these things - and he stands behind his product - pardon the pun. I personally appreciate the fact he cares about the quality of his merchandise and the satisfaction of his clients. Similar to a puppet maker I just started working with!
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Figure Table (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL