The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need something like Photo Shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Hello,

I would like a program much like photoshop but don't want to pay a lot for it. I am looking for a program that I can re-work the photos and add text. I need to make new flyers and other things. What program would you guys recommend that is like almost like photoshop but cost MUCH less.

Best
Ray
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
538 Posts

Profile of Carducci
GIMP is very similar to photoshop, both in functionality and capabilities. It works on Mac, Windows, Linux...

Oh, and the price is right (FREE!)

http://www.gimp.org/

If you can find your way around photoshop, you can find your way around gimp
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Thanks, I know my way around photoshop so that is a plus! LOL

Best
Ray
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22355 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Adobe has it Photo Elements 9, I think is up to now. It is a cut down version of Photoshop: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopel/ Books for Dummies sometimes has good instruction books for Elements, not all versions, but it save me a lot of time trying to figure out the program. http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Pho......72X.html Gets you productive right a way.

As for making flyers, that you can do in MS Publisher.

Then there is Corel PaintShop Pro X3: http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/u......iew=tab0

There is good programs from Serif a German Company, they have Publisher, Photo and Draw as well. They bundle there older version at heavy discounted prices or you can purchase it this way: http://www.buycheapsoftware.com/details~productID~4788.asp

There is a big learning curve to all these programs. Serif sells tech support.
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 03:25, Carducci wrote:
GIMP is very similar to photoshop, both in functionality and capabilities. It works on Mac, Windows, Linux...

Oh, and the price is right (FREE!)

http://www.gimp.org/

If you can find your way around photoshop, you can find your way around gimp

I'm a Photoshop guy, but I looked at Gimp. It looks pretty darn good for a free program.
Alikzam
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Alikzam
Find a student and get the student discount on Photoshop Smile I believe there's also a 30 day free trial available if that works for you.
EventEntertainer
View Profile
Inner circle
Look Ma!
1110 Posts

Profile of EventEntertainer
Hey Leif! Are you a student? Smile

Aviary.com

Works wonders for me!
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Mike Cowles an internet coach recommends Xara he says that it is easier to use than photoshop. Here is the link http://www.xara.com/us/products/designer/ It runs around $89 dollars.

You can also search Ebay for older versions of Photoshop if you are wanting it. I use Photoshop CS3 for my site designs.

Hope this helps,
George
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

I use to have photoshop 7 but my computer went to computer heaven (RIP) and I lost everything. I don't have the software anymore and I really LIKE photoshop. LOL

I know that I can do fliers and cards in MS Publisher, but it isn't the same. You guys know what I mean. I want to WORK with the photos and make them look the way that I really want. MS Publisher can't make the photos POP like I want.

I really don't need to find a sudent for a discount, my wife is a principal and I can use her for a discount, but it will still cost $$$$.LOL
I guess that I am a CHEAP SOB! LOL

Best
Ray
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
538 Posts

Profile of Carducci
I'll reiterate gimp. It's pretty comparable to photoshop to the extent that I regularly use photoshop tutorials on gimp. For what you want to do it's virtually identical, but free.

I used photoshop for years but when I didn't have access to a legit copy any more, I switched to gimp and barely noticed the difference. Everything I could possibly want to do, I could do using nearly the exact same commands.

Download it and take a look. It's open source and 100% free.

If you want gimp to be even more photo-shop like, take a look at gimpshop. http://www.gimpshop.com/download.shtml
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Carducci
I did download it! I need to sit down and check it out. When I opened the file, I said to myself, "This is almost just like photoshop".

I will play with this and I plan to buy Xara also.

Thanks guys!
Ray
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22355 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Don't you have your disc from your previous computer that failed. You should be able to just pop the disc in and install Photoshop 7. I use my disc from previous computers all the time.

If not, that is why it is important to keep the disc or make backup copies of the installed software on a new computer. Heck, I am still using MS Office 2000.

What Alikzam was refering to is that the student programs sold at colleges book stores are/were only like $25, but they have to have the course listed in their class list. Not speaking of the student software programs offered by the manufacturer.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Wmhegbli,
I don't have the disks anymore because of moving here and there through put the years. They were lost or taken by the movers. I am missing other things also from moving around.

I thought you met that a person could get a student-discount on software. I know that they have that and I have used it a couple of times. $25 for a high cost program seems unreal in the education field. Since used books cost an arm and a leg. LOL

Best
Ray
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22355 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It may be unreal, but in 2000 it was not, that is the last time I attended college. If a student at IU was signed up for a class, and the requirement was the program had to be used by the student. The Book Store had the program at very discounted prices. Only students could get this price. Now it may be a little more money, but it still is available to students.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Wmhegbli,
Thanks for the input, this is good information.

Best
Ray
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22355 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Another good place to get these very inexpensive full programs is those computer shows that pop up on weekends. I once bought Adobe Acrobate for $30.00. Not used but the full version with books and disc and everything. The dealer sold only software. So if you see an ad about a computer show, it may be worth the $2 to go and check out the dealers.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3832 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Photoshop Elements is a good choice.
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-01-23 22:51, David Thiel wrote:
Photoshop Elements is a good choice.

I looked at the box and didn't see any text on the photos. I don't want something that may be better for scrap booking than promotional pics. I may be wrong, but I don't want to spend money for something that may not suit my needs.

Ray
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22355 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
PhotoShop Elements does do text on photos, text is a minor feature of the program, that is probably why it is not listed, I have not seen a photo program that does not do text on photos. I have Photo Elements 1, and it has tons of features that I have not figured out yet.

Elements is just a consumer product, Professional PhotoShop is for professional photographers, who manipulate several photos and combine them into one picture.
MarkinMadison
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of MarkinMadison
Photoshop Elements sounds like it would work. I have a printing business....use Corel, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and more. But basic Photoshop Elements would likely work. Corel can be picked up reasonably as well, and is easier for text.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Need something like Photo Shop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL