The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Making a Ventriloquist appear more professional (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I have in the past been to events where the Magician or in my case the VENTRILOQUIST has performed without a backdrop, or anything with a “theatrical Presence” just standing in front of the audience with doorways, plants and windows at his back; not a very good view of the performer from the audience

I am concerning purchasing a backdrop connected to the link.

Any members of the café have any input to this topic.

Do you think this will make my show look more professional?

Or am I driving myself nuts?

http://www.magicbackdrops.com/
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
I've never actually used a backdrop for vent stuff. You're right, it makes for some cluttered photos if you're not on a stage, but I always figured that, if people were noticing the clutter in the background, I wasn't doing my job.
For a long time I've draped tables for the magic, and that seemed to do the job. And, of course, there's that table we've recently talked about.

For vent, I'm out there with a stand and a figure and maybe a trunk, set on its end and opened upstage for changing the cast.

Depends, I guess. It's just that, wherever I perform, I've been asked to be there and the environment has been provided, so I figure the audience knows what they're getting into. If it's a paid and ticketed audience, for me, it's always been on a stage of some sort.

I suspect lots of people would disagree, and that's fine, too. For magic, of course, some effects require a background...and, for vent, it DOES provide a place to stash the figures.

-Philip
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Also, if you don't have a lot of things to strike afterward, you don't have to stay till the end waiting for a chance to take down your backdrop.
A cleaner exit.

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Thanks for the input,

First I don’t think I will be concerned about getting paid for my work yet, but if a booker sees me and I can look very professional, and I have a backdrop, making the act look more pleasing, it may be the deciding factor in the booker coming up and talking to me.

As for setup and teardown, it takes 5 seconds to collapse the frame and 10 seconds to lay it in the bag and zip it. It will take more time to collapse my table by the time I unscrew it and pull back the legs.
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
Buzz, I use a backdrop almost all of the time for my school shows and library shows...and some of my corporate events. I use a backdrop sold by Jeff Jones and it is an easy set up. One person can do it in about 5-10 minutes and it looks great! Sorry I don't have Jeff's info but if you Google him I am sure you can what you need.
I recommend Jeff's backdrops highly..and it does give the show a really professional look!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Mark knows what he's talking about and he does a heckuva lot more shows than I. As long as there IS set up time and as long as there IS takedown time, all the better.

-Philip
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 17:57, Buzz Lawrence wrote:
I have in the past been to events where the Magician or in my case the VENTRILOQUIST has performed without a backdrop, or anything with a “theatrical Presence” just standing in front of the audience with doorways, plants and windows at his back; not a very good view of the performer from the audience

I am concerning purchasing a backdrop connected to the link.

Any members of the café have any input to this topic.

Do you think this will make my show look more professional?

Or am I driving myself nuts?

http://www.magicbackdrops.com/

I purchased this backdrop from Mosley Backdrops decades ago ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVMnRdZgSfc )

and I have never went without it.

Now close your eyes and imagine this video with what is actually in the background. My messy kitchen.

My opinion? A backdrop can make ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
While there is nothing wrong with a backdrop (in fact it can be a great addition) no one is going to book you on the strength of having a backdrop. Bookers tend to go for those who entertain. As long as you are entertaining they will go for you. The backdrop is just an nice extra.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 18:58, kidshowvent wrote:
Buzz, I use a backdrop almost all of the time for my school shows and library shows...and some of my corporate events.

I recommend Jeff's backdrops highly..and it does give the show a really professional look!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com

Mark;

Thanks for the good information. You and others here have confirmed that to present a professional image a backdrop is a positive step.

I Goggled Jeff Jones and the results were the same company I posted the link on, magic backdrops.
There is one more company that sells backdrops as well and that company has a 15 to 20 second set up. I will get that link and post it here for your opinion.

Thanks again
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 22:19, TonyB2009 wrote:
While there is nothing wrong with a backdrop (in fact it can be a great addition) no one is going to book you on the strength of having a backdrop. Bookers tend to go for those who entertain. As long as you are entertaining they will go for you. The backdrop is just an nice extra.

Tony

I am very new, still learning, have not mastered lip control and I am not visually good enough now as a ventriloquist to be booked by the Brail institute.

In my experience, a performer never 100% understands why a producer, agent or booker makes a choice on who is hired; of course talent is the major component of receiving consideration but I believe that every detail is important.

Knowing this to be true, I am giving attention to every detail of my production. Down to dressing my figure in nice clothes,, having professional looking equipment and removing every distraction that would distract from my performance.

Yes what you say is true, that no one is going to book me on the strength of having a backdrop; but they may book me because every detail regarding my production shows creativity and professionalism.

Would you agree on my view?
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
[/quote]
Now close your eyes and imagine this video with what is actually in the background. My messy kitchen.

My opinion? A backdrop can make ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world
[/quote]

I watched your segment on youtube, and you bear out my position on the subject of production detail; you play and sing very well, and looking at your kitchen would have distracted from the performance. The background you used showed professionalism

Thanks for the show
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
I probably should have just kept my mouth shut.
I have mostly worked on stages.
Never did that many birthday parties.

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-23 01:38, Servante wrote:
I probably should have just kept my mouth shut.
I have mostly worked on stages.
Never did that many birthday parties.

-Philip

Philip;

What you posted is not true; to me you posted important reading.

Re-read the information you posted here.
“For a long time I've draped tables for the magic, and that seemed to do the job.
"For vent, I'm out there with a stand and a figure and maybe a trunk, set on its end and opened upstage for changing the cast”.

“If it's a paid and ticketed audience, for me, it's always been on a stage of some sort”.
“Also, if you don't have a lot of things to strike afterward, you don't have to stay till the end waiting for a chance to take down your backdrop
"A cleaner exit”

This is the information I have no knowledge of and you posted it. It’s all valuable.

Before this thread, I was clueless about the difference on setting up for a paid and ticketed audience, a birthday party an event or everything in between; now I know that in some venues I may, or may not need a backdrop. I now know I can set a trunk on its end and opened upstage for changing the cast.

I have absorbed a lot in this thread; all information is valid and I thank you for it, just keep posting.
Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
Buzz,

I don't know what you budget is, but a very nice system is made in Germany and is available from Stevens Magic in the US. It is called the Spider Evoflex.

http://www.spider-evoflex.com/index.php?......guage=en

Be sure to watch the video of how quickly it sets up.

Bob
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Bob,

Thanks for the input, I looked at the web site; the product looks good.

I like German produced products; I own a BMW a number of Mont Blanc pens and a few Sig Sauer pistols .When I first looked at the site, I was concerned about warranty and replacement pieces.

Your post with Steven’s Magic as the US distributor is new information and I am going to call on Monday to find out more; I will post here what I find out.

Thanks for the help

Buzz
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
A backdrop can certainly create the look of professionalism. It raises anticipation and expectations before you walk on stage. I've heard great things about Jeff Jones' backdrops and the Spider set ups. I went a different direction and purchased a custom printed fabric pop-up trade show display. Very light weight, 10' x 10' when open, it sets in less than 1 minute and packs in about the same time. I don't need to use it very often, but when I do it definitely creates a wow factor.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-23 11:40, tacrowl wrote:
I went a different direction and purchased a custom printed fabric pop-up trade show display. Very light weight, 10' x 10' when open, it sets in less than 1 minute and packs in about the same time.

Do you have a web site or the name of the backdrop you purchased?

Thanks
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
http://www.sdsign.com/Ready-Pop-Fabric-Display-s/90.htm

Can't remember if I purchased my backdrop from this site or not - but I have done business with sdsign several times and always been happy with the turn around and quality. The pic at the top shows the type of display I purchased. It opens to a flat wall, I designed the graphic and had it printed on.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-22 22:19, TonyB2009 wrote:

Copied from another Magic Café thread.

“I personally think Edgar Bergen said it best. "Success comes when opportunity meets preparedness”.

When my opportunity knocks, I will be fully prepared.
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
I agree with Tom. It is very easy to get caught up in the trap of props. They are secondary. Yes, you need a stand or a trunk. Those items help you deal with stage fatique. However, even though all the other things may be nice, add them more slowly. That way you can acquire them from earnings instead of with capital, and as you add to your props you will also have developed your act more comprehensively. If you buy everything up front, then as your act matures you may find that you have changed direction and much of what you thought you needed is not even in the picture now.

Focus on the elements of performing that really make a difference for now. Your Vent style and script are two of the most important elements to work with. I have seen people like Dan Horn who use just a puppet and their extremely practiced style to bring the house down with just their personality and a simple puppet.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Making a Ventriloquist appear more professional (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL