The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » You cannot search in ALL FORUMS » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
When you use the search feature, you cannot search All Forums, and error message appears telling you to pick a forum. Case in point; One of my threads got moved and I have no way to find it, I'm not sure of the forum it was moved to and I have no way to search for it?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It seems you can still go to your profile and search "My posts in the past 30 days."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I don't see that any of your topics have been moved. All of your postings are in the inner thoughts forum except for your questions to the manager.
Where the magic begins
rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
I had one thread called Testamonials(misspelled, I know) that was moved, I have just found it in Tangled Web. But that does not address the search issue. It would be highly useful to be able to search all forums as it indicates on the search engine, that is the thrust of my question.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There should have been a flag in the original location directing you to the new forum. Looks like there was mistake made.

As for the search engine, there are dozens of posts talking about the search enging explaining why we no longer have the capability to search more tha one forum at a time.

Here's one of those topics to get you started but here are more.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=50
Where the magic begins
swifthand
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of swifthand
I totally agree. It would make thing soooo much easier! Perhaps if enough of us petitioned Steve to do this, if it takes up bandwidth then maybe we could donate to get a better server?
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
You can always use http://searchthemagiccafe.com
(Likewise a _free_ resource created by someone who simply wants to help out.)
And if you look to the top right corner of the page, just above your login name, there's already a link for donations.

Ed
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Why cant we search all forums? When you do not know where something might be or do not want to miss a reference, this was a good feature.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Send Gene an email. I'm sure if you can speak his computer coding language well enough to understand the issues and have sufficient skills and knowledge to pitch in and help him (unpaid, of course, just like Gene), he would welcome the help.

Otherwise, it is what it is.

Ed
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
How many more people are going to comment on this without reading the other threads first? It has been explained multiple times by multiple people. It takes up bandwidth and slows the site down. They feel that this is the best solution for now.

I too use searchthemagiccafe.com and it works perfectly for me. Given the wealth of information and knowledge on this site, I'm surprised it's still a free resource. The stuff in here would fill volumes of books that we'd pay good money for in a magic store. Hats off to all the volunteers who work so hard to keep this up and running at zero cost to us (though I have made donations...never hurts to throw a few extra bucks into the hat.)
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Power magic. As Andrew said there are multiple threads discussing this, each with a reason and justification.

A little common sense and forethough goes a long way. If you wanted information on a card effect, would you want to search through the coin forums. Of course not. If you wanted to know something about stage illusions, would you search the animal forum, of course not. You need to think about what you want to know and use the closest forum. Now, using card effects, it may or may not involve a gimmick so you may need to search twice, once in gaffed and funky and once in the workers but overall, you should be able to figure out which forum to use for the best information.

I provided a link a few posts above that explains but here it is again

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=50
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » You cannot search in ALL FORUMS » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL