The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Subliminal advertising for a Ventriloquist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
A posting to all my fellow Ventriloquist’s that have assisted me in deciding what the best figure stands are.

The figure stand post was my first post and I was very gratified that it extended to three pages. It demonstrates that the café does work for fellow artists contributing help to new Ventriloquists like myself.

I plan to place a sign in the front of the stand with my name and the name of the event; I have never seen a Ventriloquist perform with a sign on the stand; and performing with the legs over the edge may create an issue with a sign.

To solve the problem I think sitting Dan on a chair, or a bench that allows me to use my hand with the figure; this would have Dan’s feet on the platform, looking more natural.

This tread has two points:

Are placing Dan’s feet on a platform going to be a positive feature, or will I have problems I have not considered.

I would like to use a sign with my name for subliminal advertising, I also want to place the events name on a line below my name; looking at Dan for an extended time with my name six inches below his feet will help in name recognition; and I am sure that the client would be happy to have the event advertised in that manner; along with other benefits for further bookings.

So, what are the pros and cons of my idea; even the shortest comment of “good idea” or “bad idea” is appreciated and the advantage to other Vent’s that may also want to use the idea.
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Buzz I think you are on to something. Especially for those photo Oportunities . This keeps your name out there as long as the photo survives. Great thinking. IMHO.
Chuck
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-25 11:13, Chuck Lyons wrote:
Buzz I think you are on to something. Especially for those photo Oportunities . This keeps your name out there as long as the photo survives. Great thinking. IMHO.
Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

I never even thought about the photo Opportunities

Your HO is extremely valuable
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Buzz,

What about using the stand just as a stand, with a second "music stand" with a large banner afixed to the "Tee" top of it. This way you could change out the banner for different shows or characters with minimal effort. Plus each banner could be rolled up and stored in an appropriate length of 3 or 4" diameter PVC pipe, keeping it pristine for the next use.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I was thinking the same thing. Like an easel. However, an easel is easy to crop out of photo ops.
Now that I think of it, so is a banner on the front of a stand which carries a chair.

I'm with Steve. Don't busy up your stand with a banner. Put a well-designed poster or banner on an easel. Consider, too, a poster CUSTOMIZED to the group being entertained is more likely to get into their newsletter.
Just thinking out loud here...or as "out loud" as one can get through fingertips to a keyboard.

-Philip
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Phillip,

Your idea for an easel is excellent. I have seen a variety of them available that are collapsable and would make for an easy carry.

Steve
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
The easel is a good idea, my thinking was, and I may be incorrect; that if the focus of the show is looking at the figure, Dan, they will have my name looking right at them without it looking like an advertisement.

I am of the opinion that Vinyl banners look temporary, they reflect stray light because of the uneven surface and do not project a professional presentation

I plan on using a matt plexi sign with contrasting lettering attached to the table top by Velcro.

The Case for Dan, I am thinking will be open on stage with advertising on the lid. Also when the backdrop is purchased, I may have an additional area of space to place well thought out signs.

Am I going in the right direction?
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
I was thinking that the poster on the easel might look like a vaudeville card with the name of the act and some tasteful contact info. Maybe a website. Soft pitch.

Also, you could, perhaps, have a place on the poster itself with an extra pocket containing takeaways, so that, after the show, if you're NOT up on a stage, people might take something home with them.

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-25 17:46, Servante wrote:
I was thinking that the poster on the easel might look like a vaudeville card with the name of the act
Also, you could, perhaps, have a place on the poster itself with an extra pocket containing takeaways,
if you're NOT up on a stage, people might take something home with them.
-Philip

Philip;

I have been thinking of a vaudeville act, using an exact poster that you describe; it would have to be designed as a whole stage setting, complete with me and Dan in period double breasted suits and vaudeville stage settings.

This is in the future, since as you see here I have my hands full learning how to keep my lips still, writing my first routine and purchasing staging so the show will always look like a professional stage performance

I am writing a modern day routine and I am maximizing my advertising with a web site, business cards, magic wands and take aways with information on how to contact me.

The sign on the front of the stand is a component to the design of the stage show to display my name in front of my audience for the duration of the performance, I just am using this thread to see if anyone, like Chuck can add any ideas, Steve or you Philip or anyone else can improve the concept or inform me of any pitfalls I have not considered.

The chair on the table top is a new consideration; I could lower the sign below the feet and sit him on the table; I am just touching all bases and asking for input from people with much more experience and insight.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Buzz,
The chair on the stand would be visibly better than lowering the sign to accomodate the figure's dangling legs. (Does that make sense?) If you do this, keep the sign hanging directly off the table. I'm not certain the client's name or event needs to be on the sign, but if you add it, make sure it looks professional. Short of having a custom sign or banner printed for each client, I am not sure how you would do that. Custom printing is much cheaper now however, so it may be feasible.

I agree with you that vinyl banners can look bad - but it depends on the quality of the vinyl and the print job. I've had some great ones, and some lousy ones. Its better to spend the money and get a decent one.

I'd like to share one thing with you. I started out as a magician doing a club date act. I lugged around a sub trunk, huge speakers and anvil crates packed with props that killed my back. When I decided to switch to vent - I admired people like my mentor - who could go into an event with a duffle bag and have people rolling on the floor for an hour. Big checks, almost no props.

You are looking at creating a pretty intensive show. How much do you really want to carry? How many trips do you want to make getting in and out of a venue? I'd seriously consider cutting out any options that don't significantly add to your act. The easel idea is fine, but why not create a banner or sign that hangs off the backdrop you will be lugging around? Or on the trunk that houses your figures? Take a look at my facebook fan page:
http://www.IdiotWithADuck.com
I did a quick pic between two shows this morning. That is the backdrop I mentioned - and the sign, with my actual web site is imprinted on the wall. I finished the second show at 10:45 and was driving off the grounds at 11:00.

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Buzz,

Something I saw Jeff do at Venthaven several years ago could be done by almost anyone. When he does this there is not an eye in the place paying attention to anything but him.

He did a routine with Peanut where Peanut is making fun of his name. It is a much longer version of this but this is a condensed version.

Peanut: What is your name?

Jeff: Jeff Dunham.

Peanut: (Like a smartbutt) Jefffff DunnnHammmm?

Jeff: Yes. Jeff Dunham.

Peanut: (Bigger Smartbutt) JEFFFFF DUNNNNHAMMM?

And so on. Have your guy do the same thing.

Buzzzzzz Lawrenccccceee. (And several variations)

By the time Jeff was done with this, I knew I would be hearing it in my sleep. I will never be able to forget his name (even if I wanted to). That little bit bought him two things. 1.) It ate up stage time while entertaining the audience, and 2.) Nobody that was there will ever forget his name.

That is I think the point for all the banners we have been discussing. You can do it all with your mouth and not have to carry a thing in or out and people will remember Bbbbuuuzzzz Lawwwwrrrreeenccccee far after they would have forgotten your sign.

Think about it.

Steve
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tom,

You’re defiantly a funny guy, much funnier than I am.

You also gave me very good advice; everyone here has been very supportive of my ignorance of this field.

I must explain two points to everyone.

1.I own an advertising agency, I have the equipment to make banners and signs with; I can print my business cards, flyers and invitations as well,

2.As for lugging equipment, I am going to lug around a guy to lug for me. He will came and set up and tear down for under $100.00 for a 6 hour night.

I am saying this, not to toot my horn, I am writing this to let you know I can do what I say I want to do; and I am not wasting anyone’s time on pipe dreams.

Based on the excellent advice from past threads, I have ordered a great vent table, and a backdrop.

I was going to use labels on the wands; I posted a thread,and was told my idea was not professional, I am having the wands foil stamped as a result of the great information received here.

I was turned on to the web developer that designs the Magic Café; Mary has given me a super deal on doing everything to get me going.

The sign on the figure table is my next decision.

Now you have helped me in a decision; the banner from the backdrop. It’s great; when the backdrop gets here I am going to have to figure out a way to hang the banner from the top above it.

Thanks for the great photo, showing how you do it.

BTW the web site is in its very first version. It is only one page and is a “work in progress” the full page has has not been designed, just a backdrop and a few words with me on Mary had it up WITHIN AN HOUR of us making a deal. It; still needs a picture of me and Dan.
The URL is; http://www.notmovingmylips.com” please go look at it and let me know if you like it, or like the name.
The Vent forum and the expert advice I get here makes the Magic Café a terrific place to get information; and I intend on sharing my adventures with the people that have advised me.

Buzz
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Steve,

first I need to master the “B” and the “W” without moving my lips lol.

Thanks for the advice, it will not work on my first routine, as it is about education, but I will fit it in with later routines
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Buzz,

Nobody thinks you are wasting their time. Otherwise they wouldn't answer.

I pointed out the amount of equipment because most beginners would dream big and later regret it. And at one time, each of us was a beginner. I have a WHOLE lotta puppets and props I never use because I didn't think things through! You are ahead of the curve - a roadie is a great buy! Congrats on having that already figured out.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Buzz,

What you are not realizing is that you are NOT getting all the benefit from each of these exchanges. Each of us who respond are also gaining because the questions from you and others force us to dig into our memory banks to remember things that we might have known for a while, but if not being used can easily be forgotten.

The whole purpose for a forum like this is to promote growth for each of us. In asking questions, we are each enabled to gain some small bit of growth from you by being reminded to help remind you of the pitfalls of the business. At the same time we also gain from each other so it is a mutually beneficial experience.

Keep the questions coming. Personally I still have a lot to learn and you are helping me as well.

Steve
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
THIS IS THE NEXT POST
I was thinking of the post I replied to Tom while I was driving home; and this is what I would like to do.
I do have equipment that is an advantage to advertising. The members here have been very helpful; and I want to attempt to assist them if necessary.

Here in San Francisco, the prices for banners and signs and are expensive; I don’t have any knowledge of prices outside of California; if they are is high as here.’

If there is anyone here that has taken the trouble to even click on my threads so they can read this and has either fallen on hard times, or just beginning as I am and low on funds; or for any reason that he or she can’t afford a sign or a banner made locally, PM me with what is needed and how much the budget is; if it at least covers my cost, I’ll do it.

This is not a commercial enterprise on the Magic Café; if you can afford to buy it locally, buy it.

This is a thank you offer to anyone in need of help to assist him or her to be successful.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-25 20:34, tacrowl wrote:
Buzz,

Nobody thinks you are wasting their time. Otherwise they wouldn't answer.

I pointed out the amount of equipment because most beginners would dream big and later regret it.
I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

Tom

Tom and Steve;

Thanks for that, I was starting to worry that I am taking up much too much bandwidth with my questions.

Tom, as for looking forward to seeing my progress; the Vent table will be here on Thursday; and the carrying case will be here by next week, Clinton finished it over the weekend and is going to ship it to me tomorrow’

As soon as I place the vinyl signs on it, I’ll post a picture…

Can anyone tell me how to post a picture in the thread?

Again Tom and Steve, thanks

PLEASE READ THE NEXT POST.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I mixed up posts
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Buzz,

I know that Tom will agree as will Woody, Dan Willinger, and bunches of others, if you want to invest in something that will become the biggest single growth item for you, it is coming up in July to Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky. You really need to bite the bullet and come to the Vent Haven ConVENTion. You will learn more in 3-1/2 days about the biz, booking yourself, promoting yourself, fine tuning your act and the list goes on then you can possibly learn in the rest of the year combined.

Mark Wade spends countless hours every year lining up the talent, getting the seminars ready with the right folks teaching, and orchastrating the entire event so that you come away literaly hundreds of dollars ahead of what you could possibly learn in any other forum. Bear in mind, I am not a performer. I am just a sidekick to a very up and coming maker but I can tell you that this will be our fifth year in Ky. and we would not miss it for anything. We have gained more knowledge, more experience, and more great friends than could have been purchased for any amount of money in any other venue. Plus there is just a lot of good old fashioned crazyness that goes on. (Being slightly crazy is a requirement for admission, but then we are a group of people who talk with dolls.) This year in particular we will be blessed with both Jeff Dunham, Terry Fator, Dan Horn and the list goes on and on. These people will not just be performing, but teaching and sharing knowledge that has taken them a lifetime to acquire.

I can't encourage you too strongly to go to http://www.venthavenconvention.com and check out the schedule and make it a point to be there. You WILL thank all of us for the experience.

Steve
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-25 23:00, Steve at The Dummy Shoppe wrote:

if you want to invest in something that will become the biggest single growth item for you, it is coming up in July to Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky. You really need to bite the bullet and come to the Vent Haven ConVENTion.

Steve,
I am very well aware of the ConVENTion, I wear an ankle bracelet and my parole officer will not allow me to leave the state….is there a school within a thousand feet of the Convention hotel? LOL

No really I am trying to clear a few days to take a vacation; it’s in July and at this time, I can’t plan that far off; remember I just started as a ventriloquist in December. I have 5 months to make plans to go

Thanks for reminding me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Subliminal advertising for a Ventriloquist (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL