The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » WHAT'S IN A NAME? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I read that the Magic Café rules do not permit the cutting and pasting of other web sites copy.

Here is a link, if you scroll down to the very bottom, it talks about naming your show.

I didn’t know a show can be sold, this interests me. What is the opinion?

Is Stan making a valid point?

http://www.stevensmagic.com/gemini/Stan%......art1.htm
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
My act is called "The Small Wonder Circus". I don't know, I've always liked the idea of naming the show. Maybe it's because my background is more in clowning and my act has always had the circus theme. It's also because I love the idea of being a 'circus owner', even if my circus is the smallest and most ridiculous show on the planet, so small it teeters on the brink of being imaginary. I also have a medicine show act called the "Laughter is the Best Medicine Show"
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I read the article and was intrigued;

I really like the idea of a show name, I am thinking of a cleaver way of naming it. I can’t think of anything now, it is 10:00 PM here and I am tired. Maybe someone here will be of help.

For my advertising, I have a bottle of “Snake Oil” that I give out as a business card’ the contents is water.

My clients go wild and if they are a good client, I print a bottle with the customer’s name on it.

It has been very successful.

Do you have medicine bottles for your show?
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I looked it up

“The Greatest Show On Earth” is already taken

Does anyone have any ventriloquist show name ideas they are not going to use?
Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Steve at The Dummy Shoppe
Lawrence of Ventrilia.

Buzz of Lawrence.

Get a Buzz out of Lawrence.

There are three. Lets see if others can come up with some hair brained suggestions.

Steve
http://www.thedummyshoppe.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Good try Steve,

I think you missed a point, using a show name without my name in it; if you read Stan’s blog, he had sold his show and show’s name, I had no idea it was possible to sell a show name, and this is something I would like to do in the future.

If I wanted to use my name, I could use “Buzz The Magnificent” but that name is not sufficiently majestic to describe me… IMHO... LOL
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1054 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I'm thinking your name should be part of it, but separate, as in Buzz Lawrence Presents.. your name should be part of your 'brand'. My shows are named, as I said, but it's always like.. "The Astonishing Mr. Pitts and his Small Wonder Circus" or "Prairie Dog Dave's Reading Round-Up".. like that. Or you could go more like Jeff Dunham and Tom Crowl do.. the performer's name is big and prominent, but the show does have a title..

Jeff Dunham
Spark of Insanity

or
Tom Crowl
Alone Again... Unnaturally

These are funny takes on the idea of ventriloquism as the public sees the art.. a little 'off', you know. I think these are very effective. I'm a kid show guy, so my shows have a different feel, so of course, different kinds of names.

Buzz Lawrence
Don't Stand Too Close to the Puppet Man

Something like that maybe.

These things can develop from the act itself, a line or catch phrase one of your characters uses.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I am testing;

"Buzz Lawrence,
My lips are not moving and there is nothing up my sleeves"

I don't know yet if I like it.

It may draw away from the act and people may start looking at my lips to see if I'm not moving my lips.

It's all a work in progress
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Buzz,

You may have hit the nail on the head. By your own statements you are still in the learning curve of vent, so with the slogan "my lips are not moving. . ." you will draw attention to your lips. Better to find another slogan than to have folks be visually drawn to your lips only to become more critical because they see some slight movement. They would immediately think "This guy can't even do what he most claims to do. . .therefore I will tune him out". Without the slogan, they might tend to think something more like "well his lips move a little bit, but he has some darn funny stuff and he sure is a great puppet manipulator" or thoughts to that end.

(Disclaimer: I am not a vent. . .my lips are all over the place when I talk. I'm not putting anyone down for lip control, I just know what I enjoy watching.)

Steve
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Buzz,
Stan has been around a long time. His show name had a value built up from years of performances and successful tours. Selling the name allowed someone else to carry on with the program - they were buying the reputation and tour. Just naming a show and then trying to sell it probably won't yield the best results.

I'd recommend keeping this in the back of your mind - learning the art and really developing an original show. Once you have the clientele to establish a touring program with several successful years under your belt - then maybe. Problem is - there aren't as many vents as magicians. You may not find someone who wants to "assume" your show. Magicians - dare I say it - are interchangable.

Tom
(Now expecting a ton of backlash...)
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Yes Steve;

It’s why I am just using that slogan here on the Magic Café. On the other hand, my web domain “NotMovingMyLips.com” is turning out to be very successful.
Everyone I tell automatically relates it to a ventriloquism. m

Many years ago, if you desired a web site with ventriloquist in it, , there was a name available for it in a .com; now every possible ventriloquist associated name is taken and you have to be more creative in picking a web domain.

Naming my show creatively is proving to be more challenging.

(Disclaimer: I am a vent in training . . . My lips used to be all over the place when I talked; but I am getting more proficient every day; lip control is important. I just know that I have to practice.)
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Buzz,

Practice till your lips fall off. Then there is no way for them to move - lol.

Steve
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Buzz Lawrence
Alone in a Crowd

:)
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-26 16:19, tacrowl wrote:
Buzz,
Stan has been around a long time. His show name had a value built up from years of performances and successful tours. Selling the name allowed someone else to carry on with the program - they were buying the reputation and tour. Just naming a show and then trying to sell it probably won't yield the best results.

I'd recommend keeping this in the back of your mind - learning the art and really developing an original show. Once you have the clientele to establish a touring program with several successful years under your belt - then maybe. Problem is - there aren't as many vents as magicians. You may not find someone who wants to "assume" your show. Magicians - dare I say it - are interchangable.

Tom
(Now expecting a ton of backlash...)

Tom;

I understand what your point is. I saw Stan’s blog and it interested me. I do not have any experience as a Ventriloquist, or a magician. I am doing this as a hobby and to have fun in my golden years. In the near future I will be performing in shows and performing as a paid Ventriloquist, and I will be successful.

I am aware that most Ventriloquists are recognized by a name and the name of the figure; and as you stated in a past post that a Ventriloquist can pack a figure in a duffle bag and he’s out the door.
In Stan’s situation he had a recognizable show name and a large production; he writes that he sold the show and equipment.

I may not have been as clear in the thread about my goal. I am building a production; it will include backdrops, sound systems quality figures and stage equipment; and a vent table.

I have been very successful in my past enterprises; I don’t exactly know what the end result of my Ventriloquist production will be. I want to have fun, I want to entertain, I want to assist others.

I may be projecting too much, I don’t know; If I am at all successful, I would add other talent to my show; music, comedians etc; but if I brand the production now correctly, and the reputation is positive and widespread, it will have a monetary value in the future; the talent I work with would have the opportunity to buy the production company and continue to operate it.

That is my goal

Am I wrong, I respect your view and input.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 00:26, Buzz Lawrence wrote:
if I brand the production now correctly, and the reputation is positive and widespread, it will have a monetary value in the future; the talent I work with would have the opportunity to buy the production company and continue to operate it.

Production company is very different than naming a show. If the company produces a successful show and you are selling everything along with naming rights - then yes, it would have a value.

Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
TOM

Tom;
I will never be as good as you, or most of the ventriloquists in the Café, this started out as a new hobby because I won a bid on eBay.

Now I am finding a new passion in my life, more than a hobby. In San Francisco there are many opportunities; artists are in the street; almost everywhere with no path for success.

My original focus was producing a professional routine and an entraining show; reading Stan’s blog gave me the inspiration. The name Buzz Lawrence will never be a headliner in San Francisco.

A show with local artist’s with Buzz Lawrence as a ventriloquist; will afford me the opportunity to perform before a larger audience.

Assembling a show with varied talents that other artist’s can benefit froml if it is successful as a business venture; it is a wonderful opportunity for me and the artist’s I perform with.

Anyone have any ideas?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
In the near future I will be performing in shows and performing as a paid Ventriloquist, and I will be successful.

Buzz, I come from a country where begrudgery and small-mindedness hold us all back from success. I respect and love your confidence. The world (at least this part) needs more of those qualities. The best of luck with it.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 21:02, TonyB2009 wrote:
Quote:
In the near future I will be performing in shows and performing as a paid Ventriloquist, and I will be successful.

Buzz, I come from a country where begrudgery and small-mindedness hold us all back from success. I respect and love your confidence. The world (at least this part) needs more of those qualities. The best of luck with it.

Thank you very much for the kind comment; I will keep your post in my mind.

I am thankful I live in a country where anybody can be successful; hopefully I can assist others as well
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3280 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 10:12, tacrowl wrote:
Quote:
if I brand the production now correctly, and the reputation is positive and widespread, it will have a monetary value in the future; the talent I work with would have the opportunity to buy the production company and continue to operate it.

Production company is very different than naming a show. If the company produces a successful show and you are selling everything along with naming rights - then yes, it would have a value.

Tom

Thank you Tom for your question; and participation; I am gratified that you believe that I am heading in the direction I had imagined.

I am delighted I had this time to put in writing the fundamental business plan along with solidifying my thoughts.

Stan planted the idea in my mind; you forced me to write it down, it looks good to me… what do you think?

Buzz
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2011-01-27 21:34, Buzz Lawrence wrote:
what do you think?

I try not to! Smile

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » WHAT'S IN A NAME? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL