The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » escapology secrets of De-Val (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Craig Krisulevicz
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
647 Posts

Profile of Craig Krisulevicz
I saw this book on Hocus-Pocus. I am completely new to escapes. Is this a good place to start? Thanks.

Craig
Who is John Galt?
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Being new as well, yes, get it.

Go to: http://www.chazpro.com/CloseoutCloset.html

Get the Abbots, Grant and Zanadu Books for about $10.

Then after you read them, you will be armed with enough info to select other great books.

I would highly recommend X-treem's "Your fly is down", great stuff. The advice on challenges alone is worth twice the price of the manual.

Santini
Novak
Mccoll
Jay Leslie
Bigelo
Cannon

These are all pretty safe buys, as well as DeVal.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Profile of Stuart Burrell
Yes, I'm trying to get a copy back of a friend so I can post a revew of it on the forum...it is very informative and a nice easy introduction to the artform.

The works of Steve Santini and Norman Bigelow also provide much needed inspiration and depth for anyone wishing to learn.

DeVal's work is UK-based and, as a result, some of the concepts and locks are different to those found in the U.S. but the book is still a great place to start.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi All,

I too can whole heartedly recommend both the DeVal book and X-treem's fine manuscript, which I was honoured to write the foreward for. They are both excellent and contain information suitable for both the beginner and the working pro.

Stuart, you probably already know this but David DeVal tragically died a while back. You talked about him working in the present tense in your message above, so I thought you might not know.

Hope this helps.
David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Hi David,

Yes, I knew Mr. DeVal had passed away. I just felt that saying his work "was" good was not the best way of conveying the fact that his work, right up until he passed on, was fantastic.

My poor choice of words once again.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Stuart,

Actually it was the line "David's work is UK-based', rather than saying "David's work was UK-based", that made me think you might not have known though. However, as I said, I thought you would know and that it was probably a typo. I just thought I should tell you just in case. Smile
Anyway, I will shut up now!

Cheers
David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

No keep going. I'm glad I've finaly got a chance to talk to you.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hehe....

Anytime you want to chat I would be happy too Smile

My Website
Add me on facebook
Stuart Burrell
View Profile
Veteran user
England
385 Posts

Cool,

I've been trying to think of a large publicity stunt akin to the buried-alives—although I'd have to do something different—and just wanted to see if we could brainstorm something.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » escapology secrets of De-Val (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL