The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 3 Shell Boot Camp Diary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
I am a newbie at the 3-shell game (I'm mainly a card guy), but I was captivated the minute I got a glimpse of Bob & Glenn's fabulous Bootcamp videos. I've been diligently 'doing the drill' now for a couple of weeks, and I'll be ready to perform this within a couple of weeks, I believe. I mostly perform strolling magic without a table, so I won't be able to use this all that often. But I do have less-frequent parlor shows that would be ideal for the 1-minute workout. In particular, I have a gambling routine that includes a strong 3-card Monte effect. I can easily imagine the 1-minute workout following 3-CM.

For those of you who use this and similar effects, do you think that the bottle caps or walnut shells are inherently more impressive for laymen spectators? I've only used the bottle caps so far, but I just ordered a set of Street Shells.

Spike
shellgame-al
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, USA
352 Posts

Profile of shellgame-al
I would work some with your street shells, then compare which ones you feel you are the most comfortable with. If you have worked with the boot camp bottle caps, I see no reason why you couldn't be comfortable using the street shells. I think I would use the street shells in the parlor shows. But everyone has their own feel for what works best for them. Once you work with both, you will know and it will get easier as you go. Try both and see how the spectator reacts.

Good luck and have fun, Al
Manufacture of 3 Shell Game Sets & 3 Disk Monte Sets
3shells.com and magicswindles.com
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Spike,

I think your audience will be equally impressed regardless of what you decide to use. There really is no wrong choice. Like Al suggested, I’d go with what you're most comfortable and confident with.

I also do a lot of strolling magic where tables aren't readily available, but often there are tables sparsely scattered throughout the room, so… you might get more opportunities to perform the shells than you think in a strolling situation, you’ll just have to pick your spots.

The main difference will be, you will not be performing on a soft surface like you primarlily practice on, so you will need to get plenty of reps working on hard surfaces to get a feel for the differences. Ideally, you’ll be able to get a few reps on one of the tables at the venue you’re working before the gig starts.

You already have the best peas, as the SFS peas work equally well on a soft or hard surface. The street shells you just ordered have built in features (the bottle caps don’t have) that will make working on a hard surface easier. Their design will minimize the dreaded “bump” you tend to feel when working on a hard surface with the caps.

The thing you are likely to feel with your new street shells is they might feel slick or slippery right out of the box, so wash them with dish soap and water to remove any residue left from the manufacturing process. I also highly recommend you pick up the paints I discuss in the bonus section of the Boot Camp DVD and modify your shells. Your shells will both look and handle great if you do.

Regarding parlor shows… just a word of caution (also discussed in the bonus section of the DVD) be very cognizant of your table height in relation to the eye level of your audience when you perform the Boot Camp routines. With the exception of phase one, you are using techniques that are vulnerable if your table is not lower than the eye level of your audience and… most likely they will be seated in a parlor setting. I suggest you set your camcorder at audience eye level and record some practice sessions to make sure all is well.

Keep up the good work Spike!

Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
Here's another question for you, Glenn, or anyone else. I'll be getting a spanking new set of street shells this week, and I saw your suggestions, on the bootcamp DVD, for treating them so that they look good and aren't too slippery. The treatment uses 3 different products. I was wondering whether I could use just one product, namely Super Grip. Does anyone know that would work on new street shells that are freshly washed?

Spike
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Spike, there is a good chance it will. I just hit one of my sets of street shells with a light coat of super grip (although they were previously treated) and it did improve the grip.

Another one product option that works great is Krylon Fusion paint. If you can find it in the Brown Boots color, that's the perfect "one product" solution. If not, the color won't be ideal and I'd add a coat of the brown boots color over the fusion paint right a way, while it's still wet. This will result in both good color and grip. If you go with this option, you don't need to use the dull coat.

It seems like paint companies are adding more textured options to their product lines lately. The Krylon Fusion product was not available when Bob and I made the Boot Camp DVD. The nice thing is the caps used on spray paint cans are accurate representations of what you'll wind up with, so you can get a good idea if a particular paint or brand will be a good option for you. There are many stores (ranging from Home Depot to Walmart) that have a pretty big selection of spray paints, so it's worth taking a look next time you're there. You might even discover a better solution. If so, be sure to let us know.

Glenn
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
I got my street shells and after sanding them a bit, they glide smoothly over my close-up mat. I've ordered some Krylon Fusion in 'brown boots' color, so I should be up and ready very soon.
After playing around with the street shells, I realized that by contrast the bottle caps don't move smoothly at all on my close-up mat. I tried sanding them to smooth out the bottoms, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Anyone have suggestions how to make the caps slide more easily across a close-up mat.

Incidentally, I'm doing my very 1st public performance of the 1-minute workout at the end of this week (using the caps, of course). I have 2 parlor shows on tap on Friday.

Spike
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Spike, the caps you get with the Boot Camp glide as well as caps will glide. They don't have the barbs that you try to sand off the bottom of a pop bottle top. I think some of it has to do with what the surface of your mat is made of too.

The street shells are far superior to the bottle caps in many ways. After you paint them with the Krylon Fusion Brown boots, you'll think you died and went to Boot Camp Heaven!

By the way, who did you order the Fusion Brown Boots from? I'd love to get a can of that!

Glenn
nspikito
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of nspikito
I got it from Amazon, Glenn. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Satin-Brown-Boots-......wn+boots

Spike
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2261 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I just watched Bob Sheets Penguin Lecture where he shared the bootcamp routine right at the end of the lecture.
It made me haul out my three shells and I gotta say... it was like riding a bike.
:)

d
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
T-shirts for Magicians and Mentalists
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Just found this thread. Better late than never, I guess, although the videos of dmoses have long ago been removed. In any event, thanks so much for posting your diary. Invaluable as I begin my own Boot Camp journey. Interesting to me is that this routine (and some of the required sleights) pretty much require that the specs be positioned higher than the performer...in contrast to Whit's Exhibition routine, which can be performed with specs positioned below the level of the shells. In any event, looking forward to this...
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
The "bootcamp" is a wonderful practice routine and effective "eyecandy" as a demo for potential bookers.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
^^^

Agree! In Bob's and Glenn's hands it really is a thing of beauty. Now, in MY hands...we'll see? Smile
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
By the way, Leo, I don't expect to achieve Glenn's level of skill with the shells. I've seen his 'cards to pocket' on Fool Us, and I definitely was not blessed with his dexterity.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2018, rosariorose9 wrote:
By the way, Leo, I don't expect to achieve Glenn's level of skill with the shells. I've seen his 'cards to pocket' on Fool Us, and I definitely was not blessed with his dexterity.

Stick with the practice, and you will surprise yourself on how your skills with the shells grow. Keep us posted on your boot-camp journey!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » 3 Shell Boot Camp Diary (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL