The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REQ: Review of Lost works of Bro. John Hamman DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
I had heard about this set a long time ago. And then recently heard that it is finally out. Has anyone wrapped their hands around this set of 6-Dvd's and can give their opinion of it?

-Jason
Big Jeff
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I got mine last week and so far they are great.

I have watched the first disk and part of the second and there are to many good tricks to list.
I was completely unfamiliar with Bro John Hamman and was hoping the disks would be worth it. With 12 hours and 97 effects these are well worth the money.

If I was a true student of magic I would NEVER buy another DVD.

Smile
guido
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
152 Posts

Profile of guido
I received it yesterday. I think I'll have to take a week of vacation to watch all the material on this 6 very loooong DVD's Smile
One thing is for sure, way to cheap, lucky us...
Smile
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
How good is the quality of production of these DVDs- for just under $10 a disc there must be a drop in production quality even if the effects are good!?

I heard that most of his effects from his books are are on this set, is this true?
David
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
I bought and received my set!! I've watched through all of the volumes, and I was pleased. I heard that the quality of the video was going to be low. It was shot in 1988 (i believe) on a Betamax camera. Bro. John is sitting in the corner at a table, and sometimes when the camera zooms out you can see a table lamp sitting at each side of him. I was expecting worse quality than what I received though. I don't think it detracts from the package at all. It was a pleasure to watch a master in action. I enjoyed many many many of the tricks. I had to make a list as I was watching so I could remember what I wanted to go back and learn, or watch again. I especially enjoyed seeing Bro. John's gimmicks on the 6th DVD. I'm in the process of making some of them. I think that value of these tapes are unbelievable. With so much material it will be hard note to find something that you like.

-Jason

Oh BTW, There are 97 effects between the volumes. 80 of them appeared in Richard Kaufman's book.

-Jason
MisterE21
View Profile
Elite user
Salt Lake City, UT
426 Posts

Profile of MisterE21
I've only watched through the first disk and a half so far, but I'm VERY pleased. Like others here, I was expecting far worse production values than this, for the price. I actually enjoy the very laid back and relaxed feel the entire shoot has going for it. The effects, of course, are quite strong. That set is going to keep me busy for a very looooooong time. LOL.

I suggest getting them; one of the betters values I've seen come around recently.

Spence
Your EFFECT is only as good as its AFFECT.
mattpuglisi
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
321 Posts

Profile of mattpuglisi
I'm still waiting for my copies. They should've arrived yesterday, but the blackout made sure that was not going to happen. My hope is that I'll have them this afternoon.

Thanks for the reviews!
Lack of invention is the mother of necessity - Robert Nozick

Instagram: @matthewthomas00
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
How different are these DVD's from the Alan Ackerman videos that taught Bro John's classics ( of course Bro John wasn't in those ).

Are we watching it for history, or are their real world items we can learn?

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I'm curious about what kind of card trick I will find on this DVDs: gambling, mental, self-working, advanced card moves, etc.
Need more details of the effects before I buy this set! Any memorized stack deck effects?
Villa
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Villa
All of above!! although nothing would be beyond the average card worker. Hardest move is probably the double deal switch which is more of a knack than a knuclebuster.

His stuff is very very good and these DVDs make an excellent companion to the book.

Production is fine i.e. you see the effect then it is explained, what more do you want ???

This set will appeal to Bro. John fans and to those who are unfamiliar with his work.

Please don't buy it or read his books !!

Villa
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
The effects are all in his book. It'd be impossible to list them all. Only thing I can suggest is to search for some comments on his book and maybe some people will explain their favourite effects in more detail. e.g.:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

Brian
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
where can I buy this DVD from?

thx...
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I got mine from Hocus Pocus and yes they are worth the forty bucks. Smile Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I don't have these yet, but I'm getting them. I have the Kaufman book, the Lepaul book (on Bro John) and a number of periodicals and individual releases, and I'll tell you this: I have NEVER come across a bad trick by Bro John! He is one of the all-time greatest, most important cardmen in history as far as I'm concerned.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
I coulsn't find them at Hocus Pocus.

How many discs is it, how come it contains 97 effects? and how much is it?

thx...
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
It's there. Look again.

It's 6 dvds. How come it contains 97 effects? What do you mean 'how come'? It just DOES. Would you prefer less?

$39.95. Type in 'Brother John' in the search field at Hocus-Pocus.

Brian
cardfreax
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
181 Posts

Profile of cardfreax
Alright..just found it..

thx Brian
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I received my set and I absolutely love it. It was filmed in '88 by Richard Kaufman on a Betamax system, so it has a very "home videos" feel to it, which I personally like. It was not intended for release, it was for Kaufman to refer to as he wrote the Hamman book. There ain't a bad trick in the bunch, and considering you get 12 hours on 6 DVDs with 97 effects by one of the all-time greats for $40, I'd have to say this is the steal of the century!!!

I've written a fairly intensive review that will be on the next issue of Visions (next Sunday).
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Where are you guys finding this for $40? I haven't found it for under $59.95, even at Hocus Pocus.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I was just wondering the exact same thing. 40 bucks?? I'd have my hands all over that deal. It's the extra 20 bucks that I don't quite have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REQ: Review of Lost works of Bro. John Hamman DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL