We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tarnishing / Painting Chinese Coins??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1174 Posts

Profile of Salby
I have some of the solid Brass Chinese Coins that Todd Lassen uses.

Anyone know what is the best way to tarnish (or paint them black) his Chinese Coins?

His Chinese Coins are not painted and I would like them to look like the typical "Black" in the Deep regions (like JOHNSON Chinese Coins) and the lighter Brass showing at the "Lettering" or Raised areas.

Here are pictures:

LASSEN CHINESE COIN:
http://www.toddlassen.com/mec.htm
(Because of the lighting/reflection of Todd's Picture, they seem to be painted... However it is the 2nd coin from the left that depicts what the coin really looks like)

JOHNSON CHINESE COIN:
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key......roogle10
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
NOVACAN Black Patina. Available at hobby shops that sell stained glass supplies.
Apply to the recessed areas with a small brush. Let it dry then buff high areas with 1200 to 2000 grit paper. Rotate the coin face down on glass or other flat surface. Carefully polish the bright areas with Brasso on a cotton cloth. Avoid the black areas. Clean throughly in water folllowed by a coat of RENAISSANCE WAX and buff.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Salby, if you go to the lassen link that you posted you'll see that some of the coins are actually black, just how you want them. Todd even says that they have been finished with black enamel. This is the paint that you get in small pots in modelling shops and it should be easy to get hold of some black gloss. You'll need a very fine paint brush. I painted some of those cheap feng shui coins that you get on eBay and they come out quite nice if you're careful.

Kind regards
Sean
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Hey Salby,
I'm not sure yet the Brass Chinese coins, but my Lassen Morgan CSB has the Copper Chinese coins. These weren't finished with the black coloring.
After a few months just leaving them natural, they have developed an incredibly beautiful contrast (tarnish) between the raised parts and the recessed parts.

I also have the Lassen Walking Liberty CSB with a Brass Chinese coin. Though it is taking longer, the Brass Chinese coins are developing a nicely tarnished contrast.

I wouldn't even think of painting the recess black. These look much more realistic.

Cheers,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6023 Posts

Profile of motown
If you want a high gloss black finish you can paint the coin, let set for a bit, then go back in with a cloth and solvent to remove the paint from the higher areas of the coin. You need to do this with care so as not to remove the black from the recessed areas.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
taiga
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicoutimi, Qc
317 Posts

Profile of taiga
I have painted chinese coins with black paint used to paint fire place. It is specialy tough once dry. Then I buffed them with great results. Finally, after put masking tape all around the edge and on the rim of each coins. I sprayed hard clear varnish. I must say that teh result is very good. With my set I have a shell and it still fits over every coin like it did before the painting process. I found the paint and the varnish at the hardware store not far from here.
sal
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of sal
I have never "tarnished/painted " a Chinese coin --Going to give this a try! Thanks!
Sal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Tarnishing / Painting Chinese Coins??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL