The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Patrick Redford DVD on Any Card at Any Number coming soon (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Gorecki
View Profile
Loyal user
My servante is currently filled with
268 Posts

Profile of Gorecki
Thanks a lot for the references, Illucifer.
I shall look those up...
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Quote:
On 2011-02-03 11:14, Illucifer wrote:
Have a peek at David Britland's "Cardopolis" column in the December issue of Genii Magazine. He details Raynaly's Card At Any Number (originally published in 1908). It's a fantastic, unusual approach to this effect. It's very easy to accomplish, and a real stunner. Best of all, the presentation is wonderful.

Also, for a very fresh, astonishing, and oft-overlooked version, see Guy Hollingworth's "Drawing Room Deceptions (Mike Caveney's Magic Words, 1999). Guy's effect uses a signed card, and the procedure is, dare I say, almost too fair. It's about as perfect an effect as one could ask for and the applications go far beyond Any Card/Any Number.

The Hollingworth routine is, indeed, very clever. Though it isn't an Any Card @ Any Number routine. It is still simply a card @ any number (though it is a supposed signed card at any number) that doesn't allow for any card @ any number. It also has a bit of restriction as it uses a dual reality approach.

I can't speak on the effect published in Genii as I haven't had a chance to review it. Thanks for the heads up!
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Will you be selling this at your Missouri lecture?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

If all goes well, I will have these on my upcoming tour!
InfinityDream
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of InfinityDream
WOW, the demo looks very good.
Can you perform it without to show the blue deck?
In my opinion, if you don't show the first blue deck,
the effect becomes very impressive and removes any malicious thoughts.
Release date?

-Antonio
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Patrick, to summarize, what will be the major differences with "Auspicious coincidence", apart the fact that the spectator can open the box and remove the cards?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On 2011-02-04 03:28, InfinityDream wrote:
WOW, the demo looks very good.
Can you perform it without to show the blue deck?
In my opinion, if you don't show the first blue deck,
the effect becomes very impressive and removes any malicious thoughts.
Release date?

-Antonio
No definitely not IMO.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-02-04 11:29, doriancaudal wrote:
Patrick, to summarize, what will be the major differences with "Auspicious coincidence", apart the fact that the spectator can open the box and remove the cards?

There are three different approaches/handlings included in this DVD project.

You get both instructions for the close-up version of the gimmick and the stage gimmick which are different gimmicks.

Both gimmicks are vastly improved from previously published material.

In the stage version, an audience member holds onto a package (in this case a gift bag) with a deck of cards inside it (they can feel and confirm that it's there and theoretically could even be shown that the cards were in the bag before its handed out to hold but this (in my opinion would kill the effect theatrically).

In the close up version, not only is the deck openly on display, but the box may be viewed from all sides...in fact even handed out to the audience top be opened. This was not possible in the original version of the effect. The gimmick that does the secret something is essentially self vanishing. This was not the case in the original version.

In addition there are additional details not included in the original versions that apply other systems to this system. Everyone will have their preference on which system works best for them. This is one of that great things about this effect is that different people will prefer different handlings and they're all talked about and explained on the DVD. I'm being purposefully vague here as to not give away the farm. There's some clever thinking from Tom Baxter, for example, that really brings in a different approach to the cards themselves.

The impromptu version, which we should have a video preview of that up soon, has seen print before but this is the first time the necessary something has been explained and taught in video format. A lot of folks have felt the need for more visual instruction of the one simple invisible move.

There's been a lot of work bringing this project to where it is and has been in development for a very long time. Many of you are familiar with some of that work along the way. I'm thankful to be working with Anatomy Productions in finally bringing this project the digital video world of light.

-PGR
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Patrick, you will be lecturing at Tannens next month, but I will be out of town on business that week Smile
Are you doing any other lectures in the NYC area?
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Thanks for your answer Patrick, cannot wait Smile
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Wish you every success with this project Patrick.

Best

John
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

I should also note that the differences between my original version published in 2005 (Auspicious Coincidence) and David Forest's that was published a few years later (Route 01) both involved a similar principle but his involved tape, glue, and what not. The original version of this effect did not involve having to glue or tape anything together. That is not the case with the updated gimmick, but the original method is briefly discussed in passing on the DVD and if you'd like to go that route (no pun intended) you may certainly choose to do so.

-PGR
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Is the DVD going to be available to buy from patrickredford.com or one of your other websites ? Thanks! Smile
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Hi Dorian,

Yes it will be available through my usual product site and eventually all other dealers soon.
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
This update has fooled me! I'm looking forward to your new work o this subject.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Thanks! I'm glad you've enjoyed it!
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Quote:
On 2011-02-09 11:02, Patrick Redford wrote:
Thanks! I'm glad you've enjoyed it!

Dear Patrick,

Firstly, let me just say that I think I'm becoming a fanboy of yours. And I definitely need to look up your lecture tour dates (in the North?). You're style and charisma never seem to fail to charm me; and the hat is awesome.

Secondly, is it possibly to use my own deck stack with this? You say yours doesn't require maths or memory work, but I am worried that it will be something that (when spread) is obviously stacked. I only ever like to carry one card deck around with me, though I will now carry this second gimmicked one too, but I like performing with this deck in my own style. I use it to do card calling and so on.

Do I have to change the structure of my deck, or can it remain as it is? If you do indeed have a clever way of removing all the mentally hard work, then I'd love to use your deck, but I am worried that if I do it will mean I cannot do things like Card Calling or so on.

xx
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Eshla,

Thanks for the kind words. While a memorized stack is not required, nor is any full deck stack, it certainly may use one if you choose. I'm a big fan of the Aronson Stack and have used a modified version of it for years. That said, whatever stack you choose to use (where you're able to know the position of every card at every number) work well with this effect. Again, it is not necessary to use such a stack or any stack that has any pattern to it. On the dvd I describe how to perform this effect with what is essentially a legitimate shuffled pack of cards (with a few exceptions) where it would be very difficult to spot any pattern as any pattern that does exist only does so amongst five cards.

I don't see the use of another stack with this method being an issue.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

-PGR
Tragic Geek Patriot
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Tragic Geek Patriot
I'm confused. Does Hands off use a stacked or doesn't it?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 15:43, Patrick Redford wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Aronson Stack and have used a modified version of it for years...
-PGR

What we could see in the video... being myself a fan like you... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Patrick Redford DVD on Any Card at Any Number coming soon (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL