The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Two million in Tahrir Square in Cairo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Live coverage here, extraordinary happening:

http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
The two million number may be inflated. No official estimates are available. Still, several hundreds of thousands no doubt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12331520

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/worl......1889884/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Mixed emotions for my daughter, who is excited to see change, but will likely see her trip to see the pyramids in March cancelled.

landmark, the English al Jazeera site is a good one; thanks for reminding me.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Do you think the reporters ara searching for a tank to go have a stand off w/ a guy in traditional garb?

John, exactly why is your daughter excited to 'see change'? Is it for changes sake? If the Muslim Brotherhood takes over and establishes an Islamic state and thus the further and greater oppression of the people cool because it is change? It isn't as if this 'exciting' change is happening inside one of the more stable nations in a constantly unstable region...oh wait Egypt was an ally of the US, maybe that is the 'change' exciting some. Tell her to go on her trip, just put those giant maple leaves on luggage, makes her less likely to be the first one targeted. Besides, if the right exciting group takes over those representations of idolitry could be removed....now THAT would be exciting change!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
I'm certainly not one for encouraging religion, when the Islamic courts rose to prominence in Somalia, it was much less oppression than under the previous government.

In other words, might not be great, but it could be an improvement.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-02-01 17:14, MagicSanta wrote:
Do you think the reporters ara searching for a tank to go have a stand off w/ a guy in traditional garb?

John, exactly why is your daughter excited to 'see change'? Is it for changes sake? If the Muslim Brotherhood takes over and establishes an Islamic state and thus the further and greater oppression of the people cool because it is change? It isn't as if this 'exciting' change is happening inside one of the more stable nations in a constantly unstable region...oh wait Egypt was an ally of the US, maybe that is the 'change' exciting some. Tell her to go on her trip, just put those giant maple leaves on luggage, makes her less likely to be the first one targeted. Besides, if the right exciting group takes over those representations of idolitry could be removed....now THAT would be exciting change!

Presumably she is expecting change for the better. Right now, she's probably viewing this as equivalent to the fall of the Berlin Wall. Many people felt the same way during the Tiananmen Square protests. She's young and idealistic. Hopefully there will be will be change for the better, but who knows what will come out of this?

And no, I doubt that any number of maple leaves will make the trip safe enough.

John
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Is it a quarter million, or is it two million. There is an 8 to 1 ratio it those two eye witness accounts.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-02-01 18:36, Al Angello wrote:
Is it a quarter million, or is it two million. There is an 8 to 1 ratio it those two eye witness accounts.

Where was there an eye witness claim of 2 million? Link?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Wasn't 2 million the name of the rally, rather than a head count?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-02-01 19:19, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Wasn't 2 million the name of the rally, rather than a head count?

Well, probably none of us speak the language used by the organizers, so who knows. Smile

I saw it called the ‘Million Man March’ in some English language newspapers.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They hope to get a million. So we have a vote from Glenn that Egypt goes the route of Somalia. I never imagined I would ever find anyone who believed Somalia was the shining symbol of hope...not even Somalians like it that much.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-02-01 19:50, MagicSanta wrote:
They hope to get a million. So we have a vote from Glenn that Egypt goes the route of Somalia. I never imagined I would ever find anyone who believed Somalia was the shining symbol of hope...not even Somalians like it that much.

Did I say that?

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:

It's exciting because after thirty years of dictatorship, the free will of the people is being heard. You know, kind of like why we said we went to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan? Try and suppress this movement and you can be assured that the reactionary fundamentalists will take power as they did in Iran.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-02-01 20:05, landmark wrote:
Quote:

It's exciting because after thirty years of dictatorship, the free will of the people is being heard. You know, kind of like why we said we went to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan? Try and suppress this movement and you can be assured that the reactionary fundamentalists will take power as they did in Iran.

Hey, I kinda agree with landmark here.

Of course I highly doubt governments like america won't screw it up be "helping."

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
In some countries dictators have shown to be the only way to keep the population from killing each other....again please refer to us as the United States you rude anarchist. I see Somalia gets called by name rather than North East Africa.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2011-02-01 20:28, MagicSanta wrote:
In some countries dictators have shown to be the only way to keep the population from killing each other....again please refer to us as the United States you rude anarchist. I see Somalia gets called by name rather than North East Africa.

First off, why do you get to decide what "you" are referred to as?

Second, how many different names does america have? usa, us, united states, united states of america, america.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The United States and you may add of America, note the caps. Please stop being offensive to my country, we call Canada Canada do not slight us by not even using the correct name or caps while you sit and whine about us. You call us america as an insult you thieving, weeping, wanna be American little pud. As I have said before, worry about your country and after you eliminate govt there you can tell the rest of us aboot it.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Lol, wow, Santa, you realize you are talking about a non existent fictitious entity? Show me this "united states." Point it out to me, somewhere besides drawings on a map.

I recognize the individual, and I will respect the individual.

A group that puts themselves above individuals, by giving themselves the name "government," deserves no respect from me, no matter what "country" the claim to represent.

If you persist in calling me a thief, in what ever form, then I will not have a problem bringing a slander case against you. No guarantee I will, as you are hardly worth my time, but it is a reality. Considering the only "witness" to the foundation of any such claims against me has ripped such claims to shreds, well, is there really much else to say?

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well, since I'm convinced that there is something wrong w/ you mentally then your belief is no more valid that someone who rants about UFOs coming to capture humans. You won't bring case because your own friend will have untuck and tell the truth and you would have to volunteerly follow laws and regulations rather than be forced to do so. Maggot. You don't recognize governments? Do you use medical that is provided by the govt of your nation? Do you drive (or take the small yellow bus) provided by them? Do you enjoy the protection that the police provide? It seems you want to have a sippy cup full of milk but refuse to accept the contribution of the cow... now go mumble in the corner about how oppressed you are and how daddy represents the 'man'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Two million in Tahrir Square in Cairo (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL