The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Perfect Nail Bend (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Quote:
On 2011-02-11 17:31, saysold1 wrote:
I live in PHoenix and I am concerned about how the ambient temps in the Summer would affect the "effect." We get to 110 through much of the Summer here.

I realize you can carry the ice packs, etc but curious how the hotter temps could potentially create an issue (or not) with this?

I bet you could just have them hold the nail at the their finger tips, have them stare at it, and it would bend just from the AZ heat! Now that would be cool!

I travel to tucson quite often so if the reviews are good I'll be getting this for sure. I just need to know how well this travels in your pocket before it loses it's memory.

Mike Smile
ReviewerMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of ReviewerMaster
The price is honestly very fair. Everyone has a different taste and things they are comfortable performing. But with that price tag, it can't be wrong!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12058 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Updates anyone?
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I was hoping to pick this up at Blackpool but couldn't find any dealer who had it.

Steve
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Review needed here I think.

How long after the set up can it be done?

Is the cold temperature of the nail going to raise suspicion?

Once it's hot can it be bent back by the spec?

Great technology but I have doubts over the practicality of it.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
I want to buy it, anyone have it already?
see it on PenguinMagic:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S13109
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18810 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Regarding the hot/cold thing...well...

if you are able to melt a metal nail, coin or whatever else - maybe the metal SHOULD react or feel different after you've all focused your thoughts on it?

whether it feels hot or cold is a moot point, as long as your thought process behind it is clear...like when you physically bend a spoon, the neck will heat up - so when you use your mind...maybe it should be different?
I've asked to be banned
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10702 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I noticed that Alakazam just posted this on the UK site for about 48 pounds - so I'm assuming Peter has played with this.

I would love to hear what Peter or his staff think of the Perfect Nail Bend...?
http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Perfect-Nail-Bend-Set.html
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2493 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 08:10, IAIN wrote:

whether it feels hot or cold is a moot point, as long as your thought process behind it is clear...like when you physically bend a spoon, the neck will heat up - so when you use your mind...maybe it should be different?

I have to disagree. The issue isn't about it getting warmer, it is about how cold it feels initially. If you put a piece of metal in the spectator's hands with it ice cold, they are going to wonder why the metal is so cold. Whether it gets warmer feeling is the moot point.
James Knight
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of James Knight
Just got mine Saturday and performed it today (Monday)for some people at the coffee shop. Here is my quick review-
The nails look and feel completely real. The issue of tempurature is not a factor if you have any clue on how to present an effect. I am known for metal bending so this fits in with what I do anyway so there is not an issue of "hey, why do you have a nail with you?" The instructions for the effect are pretty vague, but they explain enough to get you thru it. The only two things I did not care for is the nail that starts straight and bends will not ever be perfectly straight when you start. The other small issue is the amount of time it takes to bend- be prepared to have a lot of patter ready, you are going to need it. Other than that, it's a great effect and great deal. I wish it was a little higher priced to keep it from exposure. (yes it's that cool)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18810 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 11:52, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Quote:

I have to disagree. The issue isn't about it getting warmer, it is about how cold it feels initially. If you put a piece of metal in the spectator's hands with it ice cold, they are going to wonder why the metal is so cold. Whether it gets warmer feeling is the moot point.

each to their own!

if I bend a coin, my fingers blister... very rarely its been known for people to feel my hands suddenly drop in temperature from very warm to icy cold...and even to the extreme that it looks like I exhale smoke because my internal body temperature is so icy...

if you test my hands with thermometers I can even raise the temperature on one, and lower the temperature of the other at the same time...

I think its more about overall context rather than expectation...or rather, manage their expectations and tell them what and why something the way it is, then all is well...
I've asked to be banned
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4459 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
How long is the reset on this? I.e. Is this going to be in the table hoppers reportoire? And if so, what justification could you have for randomly bringing a nail out in this sort of setting?
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
chris_johnson_au
View Profile
Regular user
Queensland, Australia
113 Posts

Profile of chris_johnson_au
When I bend a coin in a spectator's hand (no switches) which is from their own spare pocket change, I can let them keep that coin as a souvenir.

I mean the Australian coins too which are a little harder to bend than a US coin.

I am not certain this effect has the same value for me to justify the price.
Chris Johnson
0433 181 675
www.thementalist.com.au
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2493 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 17:19, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 11:52, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Quote:

each to their own!

if I bend a coin, my fingers blister... very rarely its been known for people to feel my hands suddenly drop in temperature from very warm to icy cold...and even to the extreme that it looks like I exhale smoke because my internal body temperature is so icy...

if you test my hands with thermometers I can even raise the temperature on one, and lower the temperature of the other at the same time...

I think its more about overall context rather than expectation...or rather, manage their expectations and tell them what and why something the way it is, then all is well...

Even if you have special abilities to raise and lower your body temperature on "VERY RARE" occasions, what does that have to do with the average person performing this effect? That is the issue I was bringing up.

When normal people (without your abilities) perform this nail effect the nail will be icy cold and they will wonder why. I don't have special abilities to raise or lower my body temperature as you claim to. Most people do not have this special ability you claim to have and the issue will arise of the spectator wondering why the nail is so icy cold if they are allowed to touch it.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I also want to know more. Just remember to put this in your CHECKED LUGGAGE! You don't want TSA keeping this effect for themselves!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
ahofer
View Profile
New user
Ossining, New York
92 Posts

Profile of ahofer
OK, I just got mine last night, and here's some first impressions: It's good, and after practice and integration into a routine, I expect it to be a mind-blower. My first criticism, however, is the incomplete instructions -- one page printed one side, with instructions on setting up ONE of the two nails, but ignoring the other (it turns out that the setup for the other is the EXACT opposite of the first). There IS setup involved, which you have to do within 20 minutes of performance, and you will NOT be able to do this repeatedly in a walkaround situation, unless you can leave the room for at least 5 minutes to reset. Also, be prepared for the fact that the bends will happen SLOWLY, so prepare your presentation for this fact. I think that a very slow bend (or unbend) may actually be very impressive for the audience, especially if it happens in the spectator's hand. The nails look and feel great, but do NOT invite the spectators to try bending the nail as seen in the video demo -- the instructions warn against doing so at room temperature for fear of breaking the nail! In the video, the magician invites a spectator to try bending the nail and says "you can't bend it, right?" Wrong. You CAN, and if you try you'll note it seems "springy" in a way no ordinary nail would. So don't. Like most great effects, it will require some work to give the strongest presentation, but it will be well worth the time and cost.
ahofer
View Profile
New user
Ossining, New York
92 Posts

Profile of ahofer
Here's another update: if it's not too hot, you DON'T need to keep the nails on ice after setup. I just did the setup again a while ago, and then laid both nails on the table and left them alone to see what happens as they come up to room temperature (high 60s F). So far it's been at least 30 minutes and neither one has "moved" yet. This means that you can get around the spectator feeling extreme cold. But it also means they WON'T bend by themselves on the table, you HAVE to have some body heat to get the bends going.
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1692 Posts

Profile of rasmus
I just got mine yesterday, and have to tell ya, that the quality for that price is good. the only problem is to get the nail that bends really straight. the tube that they deliver is to big for the nail, so it is not possible to get the nail that bends really propper straight. it works better if you try to straighten it with your fingers. I will try to make a hole in a strong piece of wood to get a perfect tunnel with the thikkness of the nail.

I let you know if it works

best wishes
rasmus
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, CRAZY CARD CHANGE, POLTERGEIST, STEEL Stage Version,
X-RAY Stage Version
http://rasmusmagic.ch
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1692 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Orry

I forgot to mention: if you bent the one nail right, it looks absolutely the same as the other.
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, CRAZY CARD CHANGE, POLTERGEIST, STEEL Stage Version,
X-RAY Stage Version
http://rasmusmagic.ch
ahofer
View Profile
New user
Ossining, New York
92 Posts

Profile of ahofer
Ok, here's a problem. After a few test runs, the nail that's supposed to straighten itself no longer gets completely straight. Not sure why, the nail that bends still works fine. I'm not sure if I need to try removing the bend in the straight nail while the nails are warm or what. Maybe I overbent it when doing the setup, I'm not sure. Anybody else have this problem?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Perfect Nail Bend (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL