We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Want to combine motivational speaking with hypnotism and mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicolo Maserati
View Profile
New user
Murrieta, CA
85 Posts

Profile of Nicolo Maserati
I feel like Christ has called on me to start doing motivational speaking and help encourage other people. I want to combine motivational speaking with mentalism and maybe some hypnosis. Is there anyone on here that does anything like that? I'd love to hear idea's.
Nicolo Maserati
View Profile
New user
Murrieta, CA
85 Posts

Any one?
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 14:55, nikstokes wrote:
I feel like Christ has called on me to start doing motivational speaking and help encourage other people. I want to combine motivational speaking with mentalism and maybe some hypnosis. Is there anyone on here that does anything like that? I'd love to hear idea's.

What is your overall message that you feel you need to share, and how do you see fiting in two completely different disciplines would help?

What expereience in either arena do you have in either of those two areas?

Both are rather specialized and I would cringe if anyone figured that they're easy to do.

Again, the basic question, from a Christian perspecive would be "Why?"
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Nicolo Maserati
View Profile
New user
Murrieta, CA
85 Posts

The message I feel that I should spread is to not worry and always trust in God.

I'll tell you my story, it's not incredibly inspirational in it self but it something that Christ has put me through that I feel he wants me to share.

When I was sixteen years old, my mom noticed a lump on the side of my neck whenever I'd turn my head. Naturally, as a mom, she got concerned and took me to the doctor. I thought it was nothing but I guess the doctors said it was some kind of growth on my thyroid.

So over the next few months I was at the doctors getting tests and biopsy's done. couldn't really find anything wrong, just seemed like a growth on my neck and that was it. So I went to one doctor and he suggested that I have it removed, so I went to another doctor for a second opinion and he suggested that I get it removed. So I finally went in and talked to a surgeon and prepared for surgery the following week.

As a sixteen year old, I was really scared and struggling.

The night before the surgery I kept having thoughts of my family and friend praying for me, and started to cry because I was so scared. So the next morning, we headed down to the hospital. While sitting in the room at the hospital, something didn't feel right to me, I felt like I shouldnt have been having that surgery that morning, so I told my mom that I didn't want to have it and that I had a bad feeling. She got very upset and called my aunt to the hospital to talk to me. They then pretty much both started yelling, telling me that I had to have this surgery, today. I told them both that I wasnt going to do it and they went to try to find some doctors to see if there was any way that they could force me to do the surgery. The second I found that out, I walked out of the hospital and left.

So, we had to reschedule. We rescheduled for February 14, which was around two weeks later. I went in on that day and apparently the story of me walking out of the hospital was a big story around the place, because everyone kept saying "that was you?!" lol So I went in, had the surgery, had the small growth removed and a little piece of my thyroid removed as well.

A couple of weeks later, I went to the surgeon for a follow up. He then told my mom and I the the growth was benign but the little piece of the thyroid he removed had a tiny bit of cancer in it. So then, I went to two doctors who suggested I get the entire thyroid removed because there might be more cancer somewhere else. My thoughts were that, if there's nothing else there then there's no point in getting it removed, but everyones argument was "well it's better to have it just taken out then to have to go in for tests and wonder all the time", so my response to that was "If there is anything else, then it will show up on the tests before it gets dangerous and we can remove it." I refused to go back to another surgery if I knew I didn't absolutely have to.

So now I go every six months to get checked to see if it has spread to anywhere else on my thyroid and guess what? Nothing at all.

Now the weird thing about that story is that the growth had nothing to do with the cancer whatsoever. It had no connections to the cancer at all, it just happened to grow and grow right where the cancer was. If the growth had grown anywhere else on my thyroid, I'd still have cancer and not know it.

So from that experience, I've learned that even if something seems bad or doesn't happen the way you plan it, there's a plan and it's happening exactly how it's meant to.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
So the question now is: How would you tie this in with hypnotism and mentalism?

What experience do you have in these two areas?

The story is touching, and I mean that seriously, but I need to "get real" here for a second, as mentalism is what I do.

What value would bending a spoon, "reading" a thought, doing a C**** T*** add?

I'm still wondering at the hypnosis bit too.

Perhaps if you could clarify these two concerns, I might be able to help? If you'd like, of course. I never go uninvited.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Nicolo Maserati
View Profile
New user
Murrieta, CA
85 Posts

I was thinking of maybe combining a Q&A act to help people with their questions and use hypnotism to help them cope with their problems better or overcome addictions.
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
What qualifications do you have to do hypnotherapy for the treatment of addiction? Are you licenced? Are you planning on doing this in addition to a stage performance, or as part of a public presentation; you're a bit too vague on what it is you are actually plannng to do.

A Q&A act, by its very definition, answers questions. However, if you're planning on dealing with answers of a personal matter e.g., discussing things that perhaps should not be mentioned in a public setting then, in my opinon, don't .

You're on stage to entertain, not to be some sort of psychic Dr. Phil.

The intent is good, but the methodology of carring it out has some serious flaws.

Motivational speaking is a noble goal, particularly with the story you feel you have to share. However, your desire to mix a bit of mentalism/hypnosis will, at the end of the day, turn it into something compeltely different.

Stage hypnosis is an entertainment feature for public ammusement.

I'm still not clear what you're looking to use a Q&A for, from a mentalist angle.

I don't think you've thought this through enough.

Stick with the message. Leave the tricks and gaffs alone.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Here endith the Lesson.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Kerry Kistler
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, MO
234 Posts

Profile of Kerry Kistler
Nikstokes,

You will want to contact Dr. Rick Honea in TX. This type of program is his specialty. He is a stage hypnotist, motivational speaker, illusionist, chalk artist, etc.

http://beyondyourimagination.com/

He's a good friend and will be glad to help you on your quest.

Best,
Kerry
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Hey Kerry- here's a total sidebar totally off point- I just finished today painting up my large stage size wooden "Vanishing Area Paradox" puzzle from your Christian Conjurer column of February, 2007. It looks great- will be filming it March 15. I attached little wooden knobs to each wooden puzzle piece using Gorilla Glue- and all the pieces sit in a nice wooden frame. So easy to take out and later reassemble. I was looking for a theme in the Bible that had four or five points (for the 5 seperate pieces of the puzzle): then I stumbled across pages 30-32 of the paperback version of "Revival's Golden Key" by Ray Comfort. Luke 4: 18, 19 has a summation of 5 of who the Gospel is for: The Poor, The Brokenhearted, The Captives, The Blind and The Oppressed: Then to be expanded upon in the routine as "The Poor" to include the "poor in spirit" (Matthew 5:3) who are meek and humble; "The Brokenhearted" to include folks like Peter and Isaiah who are contrite and sorrowing for their sin; "The Captives" include those taken captive in their wills (2 Timothy 2:26); "The Blind" includes those blinded to the light of the Gospel (2 Corinthians 4:4) and "The Oppressed" includes those oppressed by the evil one (Acts 10:38). I will probably combine "The Blind" and "The Oppressed" into one puzzle piece, and then still have the small square piece (mine is painted yellow) be the removeable and vanishing "sin" piece as suggested in your column. "Only the sick need a physician, and only those who are convinced of the disease of sin will appreciate and appropriate the cure of the Gospel" Only God through Christ can restore the soul- back into one piece again- without the missing "hole" of sin.
Kerry Kistler
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, MO
234 Posts

Profile of Kerry Kistler
Nice application for the puzzle. There was an even better puzzle published recently in the pages of Magic Magazine (Nov. 2010) called The Bermuda Square by Brian Daniel. The effect: Pieces of a map arranged one way show 21 rafts. Arranged differently in the same space, the map has a hole in it - and one raft has disappeared.

I think this puzzle looks even better than the Vanishing Area Paradox. I know you started another thread on The Good News forum about this so I'll work on getting a scan of the puzzle up. There has GOT to be a great lesson in this so start searching for a theme in the Bible with 20 or 21 points. Actually, the "crafty area" shifts from 8 to 9 rafts and the others are just for window dressing so it would not need to be 20 or 21. What could be used instead of rafts? Hmmmmm....
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2875 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
I did my wood version "Vanishing Area Paradox" last night for Ring 211 in Grand Rapids- this will be on our next "Magic With a Message!" cable program. Another dude in the Ring told me he was working on The Bermuda Square right now (getting it up to stage size made out of blocks)- he said it was terrific too.
mralincoln
View Profile
Loyal user
If I wasn't so busy, I'd have more than
222 Posts

Profile of mralincoln
From my perspective, as a pastor and Bible College professor, hypnosis and Christianity are mutually exclusive. Christians are to be led/filled/controlled by the Holy Spirit. Hypnosis is something that should be avoided by Christians, from a biblical perspective, not embraced.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 00:16, mralincoln wrote:
From my perspective, as a pastor and Bible College professor, hypnosis and Christianity are mutually exclusive. Christians are to be led/filled/controlled by the Holy Spirit. Hypnosis is something that should be avoided by Christians, from a biblical perspective, not embraced.

I agree with you completely. However, some people will look for any excuse that they feel will justify it.
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
826 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2011-02-02 14:55, nikstokes wrote:

I would definitely look into doing a motivational talk but DEFINITELY leave out the hypnosis. You can get away with mentalism if you are tactful, but it sounds like (and I could certainly be wrong) that you don't have much experience in dealing with churches. A lot of churches are going to have real problems with the idea of hypnosis because of the implications of "give up control" (since they don't really understand what it really is). It doesn't matter that they don't understand it - what matters is that it's definitely not a recommended field to pursue if you want to do church gigs.

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Want to combine motivational speaking with hypnotism and mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL