The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Luke Jermay's Book "Three Types" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Here's the review I posted to my magic review blog if anyone is interested:

Unquestionably, one of the strongest mentalism effects in existence is the classic Q&A routine. When performed well it can create the impression that the performer is actually able to read minds. When the entire audience ”thinks” of details about their own lives and the mentalist begins to read them, you can be sure that everyone will be on the edge of their seats. The performer isn’t just revealing the name of a playing card or a word picked out of a book, these revelations are of an extremely personal nature.

There are many methods to accomplishing this effect. While I’ve studied a few, I don’t claim to know them all. I do know enough about the history of the plot to recognize the things that I don’t like about many of the methods. Luke’s version contains none of these issues.

-The routine is self-contained.
-It is a one-man effect (no assistants needed).
-The routine happens in real time (no pre-show work).
-The use of the billets is justified.

First, a few caveats.

Number 1- This is not the routine that Luke used in his Vegas act. He mentions in the book that the routine he uses in theatrical performances is much more involved and is not suitable for most environments. The Three Types is Luke’s solution for a powerful Q&A routine that may be performed almost anywhere.

Number 2- If you are not an experienced performer, you will really have to work to make this routine entertaining. With most magic you can use the trick itself to drive the momentum forward (i.e. Ambitious Card). In the case of a Q&A routine, however, the pacing and flow of the routine is completely controlled by you. There are no real props to hide behind. As a result, you will really have to work on the presentation in order to make this effect pay off for you.

Number 3- This is a professional routine. You need to know what you’re getting into. If you only ever perform magic for friends and family or for a few strangers in a close up setting, this routine won’t be of much use to you. It requires an audience of people who you do not know well personally. If you reveal your brother’s thought-of card, you’re sure to get a reaction. If you tell him the name of his childhood pet, on the other hand, you’ll likely not impress anyone.

Let’s talk about what you get for your money. The book is nicely produced (it was produced by Vanishing Inc, after all) and checks in at 50 pages. You also receive a stack of Personality Test cards that allow you to begin performing the routine immediately. If you need more, you can download the PDF version from their website to print more on your own. The book is broken up into sections: Setup, Preparation Phases, Switches, etc. This is helpful since there is so much going on in the routine.

Everything is explained clearly although it may take a couple of read throughs to make sure it all sinks in. There is only a minimal amount of sleight of hand involved. If you can hold something in finger palm, you’ll have no issues. The memory work is also pretty minimal although you will want to make sure you have the procedure down cold so you can focus completely on the presentation.

Overall, I was very impressed with Luke’s thinking and the routine itself. My only gripe (and it is a fairly big one) has to do with one of the “thoughts” that Luke reads from an audience member. In short, to close the readings section of the performance, he correctly tells a spectator the last time he had sex! I’m not sure about the audiences you perform for, but I can’t imagine many scenarios where I would feel comfortable bringing this up in a paid performance. I’m not saying that that it will never be appropriate, but it certainly depends on the personalities and venue in play. That being said, the routine can be easily tweaked if you wanted to omit this question from the readings altogether.

Billet routines that allow the mentalist to read personal thoughts from the audience have been around forever. However, Luke’s ideas make the billets “psychologically invisible” to the audience. With most billet work, it is at least conceivable that if the performer could have somehow secretly glimpsed the information, he could have revealed the information. With The Three Types this type of thinking is completely cancelled out.

For those looking at adding at Q&A routine to their mentalism performances, The Three Types is worthy of your study.

-Available for $25 from Vanishing Inc. Magic

Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
292 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Amazing review Caleb! Thank you for posing this!

BTW...I ordered your book, High Spots. Still waiting for it on the mail.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Thanks, Agaton.

I hope you enjoy the book!

Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1248 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Thanks for the great review Caleb!
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
825 Posts

Profile of nique
Is it just me or does anyone else find it impossible to use a fingerpalm when handling the provided billets? They're huge; it's almost like full palming a Bike.
stevefaulkner
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of stevefaulkner
Its a great routine and really nicely produced, but does anybody else find it difficult to tell the two types of b***** apart? Maybe it's just my batch.
Real Magic Review
https://youtube.com/realmagicreview

www.cardmagiccourse.com
IBM UK Close-up champion 2013
Award Winner at The Magic Circle Close-up Magician of the Year 2010
National Street Performing Champion 2009
British Street Performing Champion 2005
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Thinking of buying this, so sorry can't help with the above question just yet. I may be being rather stupid but in this effect, is it an actual Q&A with real responses from the audience or are they stock lines provided with the book. The reviews mentioning about the sex topic etc coming up in a show. PM me if you would like to respond but not here please.

Also because it is called three types (might be being the stupidest I have ever been again here) it just threw me into thinking that the supplies provided lead to the same performance each time and it is all already scripted. Anyone shed light on this?
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5130 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Review: The Three Types by Luke Jermay from http://www.amirasideas.com

Time ago I get this book because I love Luke´s ideas about suggestion. This sounds like a real interesting concept, but sadly I felt bad for the
approach of this "Q&A".

Price: $24.99 at
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2487

Original description:
In http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2487

My opinion:

First of all, this isn't a Q&A, rather a mindreading act. There´s a lot of difference there.

The book is nicely made and the props that you get are nicely produce. I cant use it because they are in english and I performr for spanish-talking audiences.

I don't like this approach for a few reasons. This effect really look like a magazine test like Cosmopolitan. The type of question are weird and sound like trivial informations.
The idea behind this is to make the "billets invisible". Is a nice concept but for me the real invisibly of billets doesn't comes from this and this is confirmed by the work of the Amazing Kreskin. He uses the classical Dunninger`s method to achieve his Q&A act. Is bold and is good because Kreskin isn't just divine the content of the billets, but much more. In that subtlety I think that relies the power of invisible billets, not in cover Magazine Test.
Besides that, I don't think that anyone in the world is comfortable to share with an audience when it was his/her last sexual relation.

If you want solid information about Mindreading acts or REAL Q&A`s ( for me one of the best demonstrations in Mentalism) check the work of John Riggs, Dunninger, Richard Osterlind, Banachek and Iain Dunford.

Rate: 5/10

I don't like this effect, but a few ideas can be expanded for your own creations.
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Thanks for your response, I tried to find your review on your site but I couldn't

is there a link to the PDF in the book? would like to be able to print my own billets
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3934 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I bought this at Blackpool this year.
Read it, never used it (apart from the book itself, the rest of it is unpacked)

I'm busy making a list of stuff to put up for sale next week and this will be among them.

Anyone interested can PM me.

Steve
timski523
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, England
226 Posts

Profile of timski523
Quote:
On 2011-06-23 09:42, stevefaulkner wrote:
Its a great routine and really nicely produced, but does anybody else find it difficult to tell the two types of b***** apart? Maybe it's just my batch.

I thought this too! I guess I may make my own.
BTW, I am not advanced in anyway, I am only a year and a bit into this art, but re some post's above, I feel this is a great Q+A for someone of my standered to lern. Its also given me so many more ideas to put my own stamp on it.
I would give it 8/10
Ross Tayler
View Profile
Regular user
Rugby, England
127 Posts

Profile of Ross Tayler
I realise this is an exceptionally old thread - so sorry to re-open it.

I've been reading this routine over repeatedly of late, and (whilst trying not to expose) wondered if anyone had considered doing away with the dummy + the BS - and just picking up the first profile and treating it like the dummy?

It's kind of hard to put across without exposing the method - but I'm sure those of you familiar with the routine will understand.

Naturally this would prevent one from returning the profiles - but I don't see it as presenting an issue if simply throwing them to the stage.

Any comments?

Kind regards,

Ross.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Luke Jermay's Book "Three Types" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL