The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Function 9 by Calen Morelli (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Ellusionist
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of The Ellusionist
I'm thinking about purchasing this dvd and was wondering if I could get anybody's thoughts or feedback on it, if you own it. Is it a good dvd, are the tricks worth it, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
I think there's a thread in Latest and Greatest forum on this.
Looking at just the trailer wouldn't get me to buy this DVD.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dr. Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Dr. Magic
Craig Petty and David Penn of The Wizard Product Review gave this...WORKER OF THE YEAR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCPLJQRH3MA

David Penn called this THE BEST DVD OF THE LAST 10 YEARS!

Anytime someone releases 1 of their one trick DVDS, we can mention Function 9 as to why we won't invest in their expensive, 1 tricker.
Joe Fitch
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Joe Fitch
It is really good, as he is a really creative thinker, it is definitely worth it, and you will definitely find a trick to use on there
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Can anyone update me on whether Calen provided an addition about constructing tie and button shirt change?
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Excuse me, I meant for Dresscode, not this
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Received my DVD in the mail yesterday. Best DVD of the decade ... not too sure about that. I guess I will have to wait to see what the next nine years brings. What I am sure of is that Calen is a very creative magician who should have a big impact on the art of magic. The DVDs have a great variety of effects, I would imagine something there for everyone. The pair of DVDs is filled with good magic and represents what I feel is a great value. You will need to make a few things to achieve these effects but the instructions are very clear. Great job Calen!
Dr. Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Dr. Magic
Any other reviews?
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
His presentational style makes him a David Blaine clone. Very little patter and his voice drones on and on, especially during the explanations.

His tricks are good, some more practical than others. Nowhere near Paul Harris standard as other have suggested.

It's not DVD of the decade but does contain a few interesting ideas.

Worth checking out if you like doing things with 'rubber' bands.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
His presentational style is normal/casual.

I'm not a huge Calen fan. I lean towards magicians like Lee Smith, Gary Jones, Richard Osterlind, etc, etc.

I don't blame him for his voice. He is from the Washington/Oregon area, we are ALL monotone here haha.

I think from all that I've seen from him, He is in that creative league with Paul Harris. Not better, but given his age..he's doing *** well. I know that's a big statement.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On 2011-02-27 08:56, Dr. Magic wrote:
Any other reviews?

OK, here's one.
VGH - A multi phase, visual routine. If I was to use it, I would probably not use all the phases in case the spectator started to get lost. Very strong elements though.

Pen in bottle - this looks incredible. It actually seems not hard to make up or perform. I will try this at the right gig (not a repeat strollers item, better a 'tables' or street effect).

Transport - a good effect, not for me... but the bonus effect- wow, what a great addition to a ring and band / string routine.

Suspended - this has got me tempted to try using ***** again - what a killer add on to CMH

Loaded - Great for the street performing hat wearer - I really like it but probably won't use it

Friction - I wanted to do this, but am now not sure if I will. This will take a bit of work to get super smooth

Sugar free - A gum trick. I don't do gum tricks

Transit - looks good, but I just don't like it. I'm not sure why, it is a very strong effect.

The production values are top notch, Calen is an excellent teacher. I started of as not a fan, but he has really won me over with his attention to detail, variety and skills as a teacher / performer.

This is an inspirational DVD. Not the best I have brought for useable routines I will actually use, but there is gold on here.
An excellent product I would recommend if you are interested in close up.

Charlie
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
In my opinion, Calen is one of the most creative young magician nowadays..... Function 9 DVD loaded with fresh new style for walk around magic, recommended DVD, worth to buy.....
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Regarding "sugar free"....if you were to combine that effect with the change-cap's 'gumultplier' effect...wow!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Just started watching mine and so far I like it... To be honest with you with one effect, VGH. untill I saw the explanation the child in me thought it was the ACES that were switching.... A lot is going on in this effect... If I thought that I can only imagine what laymen think when they see this and retell the tale... Good DVD so far.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Ok well after watching the entire DVD, I would have to say that although some of the effects are really Strong, there are maybe 3 that I would use and not the complete routines maybe bits and pieces. VGH, Pen in Bottle and maybe Loaded. Other then that the effects are nice IF you are willing to put in the little work it takes. But I would not say that most of these could be done IMPROMTU, without the little work needed for most of the effects...
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
Calen's a good kid...and will hopefully develop a character as he grows. That's not meant to be rude by the way, but he needs work (experience) there. Good DVD. JP
bnburns
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of bnburns
I purchased this after seeing the Petty and Penn review. These guys are ussually right on with reviews. I've just watched it, not really totally gotten into it yet, and I think there are some pretty cool tricks. But at least for now, I'm a little surprised at the high rating- In my opinion it's good,85%-90%, but 95-100% seems inflated. Maybe I'll change my mind as I get more into it.
Nat
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Nat
I agree. Calen is exceptionally creative and original, pleasant and cordial, demonstrating skilled and cutting edge magic...the highest praise is a bit inflated. Obviously as good as Petty and Penn are, they became overly emotional about this DVD. It is definitely in the 80 range, but they missed the practically of the effects - preparation and performance.
Nathan

Quote:
On 2011-03-13 12:15, bnburns wrote:
I purchased this after seeing the Petty and Penn review. These guys are ussually right on with reviews. I've just watched it, not really totally gotten into it yet, and I think there are some pretty cool tricks. But at least for now, I'm a little surprised at the high rating- In my opinion it's good,85%-90%, but 95-100% seems inflated. Maybe I'll change my mind as I get more into it.
Shanlip
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
141 Posts

Profile of Shanlip
Hi all,

I purchased this and think it's a great collection the only problem is I live in Australia and like a lot of tricks I have problems getting the required props. The pen in bottle trick requires a straight sided bottle and I can't find one.
This is a great effect that I could really use but without the right bottle I’m up the creek.

Just wanted to know if anyone in the States would be interested in picking a couple up and sending them to me? (I will pay upfront by PayPal)

If you can help me PM me.
atinczor
View Profile
Regular user
New York / Istanbul
113 Posts

Profile of atinczor
Just placed an order for this set of DVDs. The only concern is that I live in Turkey and am scared if I cannot find any of the items that are required for preparing the tricks in the area I live. Guess I will have to wait and see. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Function 9 by Calen Morelli (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL