The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » In Honor of Black History Month... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of Jim Magus
Magical Heroes was written over twenty five years ago, and there has been a lot of additional information uncovered. When I finished compiling my notes gathered over the last few decades, I had over 800 pages. Magical Heroes was 200 pages long. I put together the best material for my most recent 400 page book That Old Black Magic, which tells complete fascinating stories.
The book starts with updated information on Richard Potter, America's first black celebrity.
There is a chapter on Jacob Kellies "the Black Wonder," who took a break from performing magic shows to fight with Connecticut's first African American regiment, the first to enter Richmond and end the war. Henry "Box" Brown" escaped from slavery by mailing himself across the Mason Dixon line, and became a traveling magician. The full story of Black Carl, who had an amazing career, is here. Alonzo Moore, who was considered the greatest black magician of his time, is covered, along with and the other Boomskies. There is a fascinating and mind blowing chapter on Princess Sotanki, who ran her own troupe of magicians before the turn of the century, and she was also a lion tamer, a snake charmer, and an exotic dancer. The full story about Joseph Downing, who amazingly passed himself as Prince Joveddah de Rajah. His assistant became Prince Ali Sadhoo, and there is a fascinating chapter on him. Princess Mysteria has been called the greatest female black mentalist, and her story is included. There are chapters on both Professor Maharajah and Principe Majahara, who amazing performers. Professor J. Hartford Armstrong, "King of the Colored Conjurors," along with his daughter Ellen, are covered. The legendary Black Herman was a superstar of magic and his amazing stories is told. A chapter on Herman Yerger is included in this one, and it ends with a chapter on Fetaque Sanders.
Seluj
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Seluj
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2020, Jim Magus wrote:
Magical Heroes was written over twenty five years ago, and there has been a lot of additional information uncovered. When I finished compiling my notes gathered over the last few decades, I had over 800 pages. Magical Heroes was 200 pages long. I put together the best material for my most recent 400 page book That Old Black Magic, which tells complete fascinating stories.
The book starts with updated information on Richard Potter, America's first black celebrity.
There is a chapter on Jacob Kellies "the Black Wonder," who took a break from performing magic shows to fight with Connecticut's first African American regiment, the first to enter Richmond and end the war. Henry "Box" Brown" escaped from slavery by mailing himself across the Mason Dixon line, and became a traveling magician. The full story of Black Carl, who had an amazing career, is here. Alonzo Moore, who was considered the greatest black magician of his time, is covered, along with and the other Boomskies. There is a fascinating and mind blowing chapter on Princess Sotanki, who ran her own troupe of magicians before the turn of the century, and she was also a lion tamer, a snake charmer, and an exotic dancer. The full story about Joseph Downing, who amazingly passed himself as Prince Joveddah de Rajah. His assistant became Prince Ali Sadhoo, and there is a fascinating chapter on him. Princess Mysteria has been called the greatest female black mentalist, and her story is included. There are chapters on both Professor Maharajah and Principe Majahara, who amazing performers. Professor J. Hartford Armstrong, "King of the Colored Conjurors," along with his daughter Ellen, are covered. The legendary Black Herman was a superstar of magic and his amazing stories is told. A chapter on Herman Yerger is included in this one, and it ends with a chapter on Fetaque Sanders.

I discovered That Old Black Magic while searching for a copy of Magical Heroes. I am still reading it, but I am impressed by this huge amount of work. Very precious to the entire magic community.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » In Honor of Black History Month... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL