The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REVIEW: Bill Malone's On the Loose, Vol. 1 (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Bill Malone’s On the Loose, Vol. 1

Price: $30
Format: DVD
Publisher: L&L Publishing
Running time: 108 minutes
Published: 2002
Difficulty: Intermediate.

Ultimate Three Card Monte - Bill takes Michael Skinner’s classic to a whole new level with his hilarious presentation.

Sam the Bellhop – This is probably the most difficult effect on the DVD. It’s also the most rewarding. This is Bill’s signature trick, and it’s a great one. Five false shuffles and cuts are taught with the trick.

I Don’t Even Have a Pocket - Bill’s ambitious card routine. The surprise ending will make the entire audience laugh until they wet themselves.

I Should Have Done It Myself – This is a great trick that is published only on this DVD. The spectator is asked to place any card out of the deck into the magician’s hand. When the card is flipped, it is found to be an indifferent card, not the spectator’s previous selected card. As the magician turns over his hand to collect the cards, there is the selection, stuck to the back of his hand. Wonderful trick; I use it all the time.

Cheating in Las Vegas with the Aces – You’ll be looking like a pro in 20 minutes with this trick. There’s nothing too difficult, only a GREAT effect. This one gets wonderful reactions.

Back the Way They Were – An awesome twist on Dr. Daley’s Last Trick. I never performed this one until I saw Bill Malone’s routine. Now I do it everywhere!

Test of Strength – Bill presents the silks as weapons. The challenge: to see who can untie a knot the fastest. With Bill’s lightning-fast fingers, he can never lose!

Overall rating: 9/10

I wouldn’t recommend this video if you’re just starting out. Wait until you have a basic knowledge of sleights and magic before purchasing this. I truly believe that Bill’s performance alone is worth the price of the DVD.
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Cameron; Congratulations on the six excellent reviews you have provided for the Café members. You put a lot of effort into these well written reviews and I am sure they will be of value to those who are interested in this genre.

If your performances are as professional as your reviews, you must be an excellent cardician.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Excellent review. Really great.
Why aren't you writing the summaries on the back of the boxes?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I heartily agree with this review. This series not only contains a plethora of outstanding material, they are just darn fun to watch!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
Cameron:

While I appreciate the effort you put forth on your review, this topic has already been covered. HiraseMagic, MisterE21, and myself did a thorough review of all four of Bill's DVD's back in March. I would love to see you review sonething which has not been covered (or at least not so recently).

Regards,
Gandolf
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
My mistake, Gandolf. I did receive a PM from Mr. Cutts about this issue. I wrote a few of these reviews a while ago and decided to post them for Café members. From now on, I'll be sure to check whether or not a DVD has been previously reviewed before writing an article on it. Smile
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
I appreciate the review, Cameron. Although Malone's videos have been covered elsewhere, it's always nice to get another perspective, especially a well-written, thoughtful one like yours! I'd heard Malone's tapes were worth getting... your comments cinched it for me!
Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments. Smile

DaveS
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
theoldfort
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of theoldfort
You can never get too many reviews.

Even if a DVD/Video/Product has already been reviewed I always welcome more. It is nice to see what different people write about the same product.

I often use this board before buying anything and when I perform a search I appreciate more than one thread on the product.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Ian
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Ordered this yesterday from magic.co.uk and it arrived today, hows that for service. Now to watch the DVD.....
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Ultimate Three Card Monte: BIll SWORE he'd never use gaffs until he met Michael Skinner and MIke performed his version of this classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkFdjhdw5QE

Sam the Bellhop: The trick that put BIll on the world stage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GErpOl3KG_w

Don't Even Have a Pocket ( the Ambitious Card ). Take note...Bill doesn't have the card signed;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpzuXmQm3fA

Cheating in Las Vegas with the Aces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01vLLktVfDM

Back the Way They Were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCJGibVxO......be&t=34s

Test of Strength:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhTPZcAabPU
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
This has to be one of the best DVDs I have ever purchased, crammed with great content .
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Man where did all those years go......
Drive Carefully
Ged
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of Ged
I've had this DVD and all other Bill Malone DVD's for a while. To me, Bill is the funniest guy in magic and a real expert showman/comedian. He is funnier than many comedians, and what has been said here is all true. His card art is perfect. He used to hang around with Marlo, so he's had a long time to master this craft. And he is a pretty good teacher. Mostly though it is the way he performs the tricks that is most instructive. I can recommend all of the Bill Malone DVD's (On the loose I, II, and III) as well as "Here we go again" series. The Marlo series is for card fanatics only, but it's high quality stuff and contains the best version of the 21 card trick you are ever going to see.
epsilon97
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of epsilon97
Bill Malone's and Harry Lorayne's DVDs are the best DVDs I have purchased.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Bill Malone!
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
All of his material is fantastic. Rub a dub dub from here I go again vol 1 is worth the price of the set. And yes" his version of the 21 card trick is phenomenal. His material is first rate and his technique is flawless. But he is the funniest magician I've ever seen. BILL-MA-LONE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REVIEW: Bill Malone's On the Loose, Vol. 1 (16 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL