The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REVIEW: Daryl's Ambitious Card Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
726 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Daryl’s Ambitious Card Video

Price: $30
Format: DVD
Publisher: L&L Publishing
Running time: 68 minutes
Published: 1999
Difficulty: Intermediate

If you’ve ever wanted to learn an ambitious card routine, don’t hesitate to buy this DVD. This video contains Daryl’s award-winning F.I.S.M. performance, his explanation of the entire performance, over 25 additional ambitious card sleights, instructions to build “The Ultimate Ambition” gimmick, and much, much more.

Daryl’s routine is extremely entertaining and the spectator involvement level is set to high. Daryl is probably one of the best teachers of magic ever. Not all moves are explained in depth. Not all of them need to be. It is a waste of time to spend 15 minutes on the double lift. Daryl has taken this into consideration while making the video to ensure you understand everything as well as you can and are not “weighed down” by unnecessary material.

After the complete explanation of Daryl’s entire routine, he moves into the “Additional Techniques” section. This section has over 25 moves that, although Daryl doesn’t use in his routine, you might find suitable for yours. He also included tips on the moves and subtleties to make the best of your ambitious card routine.

Overall: 10/10

This DVD does exactly what it claims to do: provide you with everything you need to fully develop your ambitious card routine. Buy it now. You won’t regret it.
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
I agree with the rating. Daryl's Ambitious Card DVD is an excellent source for learning the ambitious routine. I have gained a lot from watching it.

Thanks for the review Cameron! Smile
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Great review. I think this is next on my list of things to buy!
klee 5000
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of klee 5000
Yea its an awesome DVD. Even though i can do the pass and many more moves, i do daryls routine and his routine only to people for my ambitious card routine. it blows people away. Not very origional i know, but whatcha gunna do?!? Smile
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
I can't believe that he doesn't use more of the "extra moves" in his routine. There are some real clever ones that he briefly goes over that I think would be make the whole routine much more powerful (if that is possible). I agree with the rating on this one. The only problem, if you want to call it that, is that he gives so many useful ideas, you will want to cram them all into one long routine. It has been tough for me to pick and choose what I want to use and to make it into one flowing routine. That is the project that I am currently on. One way to look at it is this: if he teaches 30 moves (I don't know how many are on the tape, but I am sure it is at least that) and you are only paying $30 for the tape, that is only a dollar for each one. You can also find many other uses for them and start creating your own tricks utilizing them. There are some sites that people are paying $5-$10 to learn one trick that uses one move. Ok...enough of the rambling. Bottom line: go buy this, you wont be disappointed.
theoldfort
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of theoldfort
I agree 10/10

The most important thing is that Daryl shows many moves to create your own routine. Daryl's routine is excellent but I find it just a tad too long for my situation.
Monte
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Monte
I have his Ultimate Ambitious for the climax to the rountine and it just knocks everyone's socks off. It convicingly displays the deck to be "sleight-of-hand" proof" and yet makes the card rise to the top of the deck. Smile
Monte, as in the 3 cards.
magicfan456
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicfan456
I'm really looking forward to getting this. Thanks for the review!
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I have to agree. It is a must for anyone wanting to add an ACR to their performance. I currently have the video for trade if anyone is interested.
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Very cool DVD! I love Daryls DVDs because they have so many moves to create your own routines. The ultimate is the ultimate!lol Very clever! I agree, 10/10!
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
888 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
This DVD is one of the best I've ever purchased.
Daryl really does go into the finest details possible.
And aww, he gives you SO many variations, and I've mastered them ALL. It's great. And he shows you how to make the gaff (Ultimate Ambition Improved) for his finale in his routine, where the card is signed by 3 or 4 more people to make sure that the card has no duplicates. Then he actually puts the card into the middle of the deck (the deck is wrapped with rope).
Then the card jumps to the top.
Highly Recommended.
Best,
Michael
Jeremy Greystoke
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Virginia
58 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Greystoke
This really is a great DVD. It's actually one of the first DVDs I ever purchased because I knew I'd wear out a VHS tape in no time flat. Smile

As Daryl and Minch point out in their Ambitious Card Omnibus, Daryl's routine is modular. You don't have to do all the phases every performance. It's very much a "jazz" effect, to use Daryl's term. Lots of techniques and moves are possible to create the effect of the card repeatedly jumping back to the top of the deck.

And the DVD is a great little tool box of stuff...lots of good ideas for use in assembling your own routines.

A very highly recommended purchase.

Jeremy
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Is the gaff hard to make? Are the materials needed easy to get hold of? or should I buy the gimmick with the dvd.
I'll be grateful for anyhelp plus a comparison with the ellusionist as I heard this also was very good.
aamwood
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of aamwood
Only one gimick is needed for the finale. The gimmick is a very clever idea. I made one myself, but it took a lot of work. I think buying is a better choice. The whole explanation is awesome !!!!
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
With this DVD and about 3 hours straight, you should be able to have yourself an excellent ACR. Practice is for another month or so and you'll have something which will be in your repertoire for a long long time.
Jeremy Greystoke
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Virginia
58 Posts

Profile of Jeremy Greystoke
The gimmick isn't hard to make. It just takes a good amount of time (and care) to make it up properly. A lot of people don't want to invest the time and would instead just pop the money to get one that's already made up.

No real special equipment is needed to manufacture one. Just a *lot* of care and patience! Smile

Jeremy
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Thank you for your swift responses and I'm about to order it, But due to the fact that I am RUBBISH at making stuff I think I'll buy the gimmick. Thanks once again for your help.
genemccarthy
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of genemccarthy
I forget what Daryl's gimmick costs but many astute readers wisely post it is easier to buy it.

Afte watching the explanation I could se going trough dozens of decks of cards to make it properly.

Whereas for $30 you have one profesionally made.

gene
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I should point out that many of the moves taught could be used in many more tricks that the ACR. This is a great value card sleight DVD/Video.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » REVIEW: Daryl's Ambitious Card Video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL